Reccomend me some jazz!

Mytola

• Members

Well, I'm in the mood for getting hold of some new music, and I'm mostly looking for something that can give me some inspiration especially when it comes to bass-playing. I've not really listened to a lot of jazz before, mostly some Jaco-stuff, but that's about it.

Bring it on! :thu:

• Members

I'm mostly looking for something that can give me some inspiration especially when it comes to bass-playing.

Paul Chambers... 'nough said.

He's played with a lot of people. But for starters, I'd recommend his solo release, Bass On Top (on the Blue Note label) for any bassist.

There is some truly excellent and inspirational bass playing on that record.

• Members

Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride-SuperBass.

Live album featuring three monster URBists.

Likewise Ray Brown - Walk On. 1st disc is Ray's final studio recordings, 2nd disc is more of the above.

Mingus Ah Um

Most anything Miles.

• Members

Pancho Sanchez, Latin Spirits

Return to Forever, Romantic Warrior

Ramsey Lewis Trio, Swingin'

Count Basie, Live at the Sands

Marcus Miller, Tales

Stan Kenton, Live at the Tropicana

Okay, an eclectic mix. And it'll only get moreso if I continue...

• Members

Calle 54 Soundtrack - Very nice little sampler. The movie is very good as well. If you have Netflix or Blockbuster, check it out.

Rashanim - Jon Madof: Definitely one of my favorite albums. The bass player (Shanir Blumenkranz) is excellent.

Ah Um - Charles Mingus: A must own.

A Love Supreme - John Coltrane: When you listen to the first track, just imagine the physical endurance it takes to play.

• Members

- Very nice little sampler. The movie is very good as well. If you have Netflix or Blockbuster, check it out.

Hotblack, you my boy...that is one absolutely outstanding album from start to finish. Breath taking, literally...

Mytola, just go rent the movie...then come back and thank Hb for his wisdom and impeccable musical sensitivity.

(be sure to check out my La Lupe post....) c-d

• Members

Hotblack, you my boy...that is one absolutely outstanding album from start to finish. Breath taking, literally...

Mytola, just go rent the movie...then come back and thank Hb for his wisdom and impeccable musical sensitivity.

(be sure to check out my La Lupe post....) c-d

bow.gif

• Members

This is a copy of a reply to an earlier thread on this question:

(you should also check the whole thread for other great suggestions here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568767 )

First, of course, you gotta realize that "jazz" encompasses a huge range of styles - more so than say "rock". Think of the differences between Chubby Checker, Slayer, the Allman Brothers, Devo, the Eagles, Patti Smith Group, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers - all "rock" artists (well maybe the Eagles don't count as "artists"). The field of jazz is even more varied - even if you just stick with "normal" subgenres" like big band, fusion, swing, bebop, etc. without venturing into all the edgier stuff. That said, here is a list of my favorite, "couldn't live without" jazz albums:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (of course - this one IS jazz)

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto

Pat Metheny - American Garage

Pat Metheny - Offramp

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus

Charles Mingus - Thirteen Pictures

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - The Best of...

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire - Thrills!

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco (another "of course")

Orthotonics - Wake Up You Must Remember

Joe Jackson - Jump and Jive! (hmm, I bet that one is going to set some folks off.)

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow

Ray Charles - the Best of...

Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli - Nuages

Count Basie Orch. - the Complete Atomic Basie

Brand X - Product (with my vote for most underappreciated bassist - Percy Jones)

Brand X - Do They Hurt?

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hot

Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Bird & Diz

Mahavishnu Orchestra - the Inner Mounting Flame

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

John Coltrane - Blue Trane

Dave Hollland - Emerald Tears

Laszlo Gardony - the Legend of Tsumi

Sun Ra Arkestra - Space is the Place

Medeski, Martin, & Wood - Combustication

Ginger Baker Trio - Going Back Home

Stanley Clarke - School Days

Jean Luc Ponty - Plays Live

Kip Hanrahan - A Few Short Notes from the End Run

oh my, this could go on forever, better stop there. The only thing I'll add is that ANYTHING from the big names of the Swing to PostWar Big Band eras would be great to have. Look for "Best of" and other compilations from Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Lionel Hampton, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Woody Herman, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, etc.

Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it skronks, sometimes it swings - but it's all jazz* and it's all good. Have fun, d.

* except for Kenny G - that ain't jazz

• Members

First of all, thanks for a lot of suggestions, everyone.

"Jazz" includes of course, as dravenzouk said, really a huge range of styles, and I intentionally didn't specify any particular style or era, because I wanted to have suggestions from all the corners of the genre. I'll definately start checking out a lot of the suggestions, something which will take time, but I have a lot of time I want to fill with music anyway. :)

Still, if any more of you have any more suggestions, just keep 'em coming. :thu:

• Members

This is a copy of a reply to an earlier thread on this question:

(you should also check the whole thread for other great suggestions here:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568767
)

First, of course, you gotta realize that "jazz" encompasses a huge range of styles - more so than say "rock". Think of the differences between Chubby Checker, Slayer, the Allman Brothers, Devo, the Eagles, Patti Smith Group, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers - all "rock" artists (well maybe the Eagles don't count as "artists"). The field of jazz is even more varied - even if you just stick with "normal" subgenres" like big band, fusion, swing, bebop, etc. without venturing into all the edgier stuff. That said, here is a list of my favorite, "couldn't live without" jazz albums:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (of course - this one IS jazz)

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto

Pat Metheny - American Garage

Pat Metheny - Offramp

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus

Charles Mingus - Thirteen Pictures

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - The Best of...

Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire - Thrills!

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco (another "of course")

Orthotonics - Wake Up You Must Remember

Joe Jackson - Jump and Jive! (hmm, I bet that one is going to set some folks off.)

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow

Ray Charles - the Best of...

Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli - Nuages

Count Basie Orch. - the Complete Atomic Basie

Brand X - Product (with my vote for most underappreciated bassist - Percy Jones)

Brand X - Do They Hurt?

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hot

Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Bird & Diz

Mahavishnu Orchestra - the Inner Mounting Flame

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

John Coltrane - Blue Trane

Dave Hollland - Emerald Tears

Laszlo Gardony - the Legend of Tsumi

Sun Ra Arkestra - Space is the Place

Medeski, Martin, & Wood - Combustication

Ginger Baker Trio - Going Back Home

Stanley Clarke - School Days

Jean Luc Ponty - Plays Live

Kip Hanrahan - A Few Short Notes from the End Run

oh my, this could go on forever, better stop there. The only thing I'll add is that ANYTHING from the big names of the Swing to PostWar Big Band eras would be great to have. Look for "Best of" and other compilations from Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Lionel Hampton, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Woody Herman, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, etc.

Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it skronks, sometimes it swings - but it's all jazz* and it's all good. Have fun, d.

* except for Kenny G - that ain't jazz

* but sonny Rolllins is :D:thu:

• Members

Already mentioned, but it's my favorite album...

If you've heard some RtF and thought it was too light and too much vocals, try Romantic Warrior.

And...

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire

Brand X - Why Should I Lend You Mine (compilation of more non-pop stuff)

• Members

That's a tall order, brother. Almost like saying "Recommend me some rock and roll!" It's just a whole universe. Hot jazz from the 20s, big band stuff in the WW2 era. Vocal jazz standards stuff, bebop, smooth jazz, free jazz, modern jazz...I'm not that big a jazz hound, but there's some good stuff from every era and movement in the genre.

Archived