OT: Boxing has declined in a major way...

Funkee1

• Members

Actually, I think if Mayweather is going to fight anyone, it will be Cotto. As good as Cotto is, he doesn't have enough volume to penetrate Mayweather's defense. Remember, Cotto got frozen and wobbled in the first few rounds against Zab Judah. Mayweather will stay in the pocket and tee off in him for all 12 rounds.

Margarito is too much risk and too little reward.

I think one of the biggest problems with boxing is the protection of the perfect record. Boxing has the most day-after critics of any sport.
Of course he's no good, he just got beat by so-and-so. He's nothing.
Instead of taking risky fights or really fan-friendly fights, many boxers just sit on the undefeated record until they get a payday against one of the big boys.

I dont' know. Judah also got to Mayweather and so did Oscar for a little bit. If Cotto got to him, I don't think he could take Miguel's poewr. it would be an interesting matchup. Mayweather is a fantastic fighter, but he won't step into the ring with the best out there. Only the ones that will make him money.

The "protection" thing is ridiculous anymore. That's why I really like fighters like Barrera, Pacquiao, Marquez and even Oscar. They will fight anyone. They will fight who the fans want to see them fight. They aren't afraid of losing and they want to fight the best out there. Same with Jermain Taylor. He fought Hopkins and Wright for his first title defenses. he may not have been dominant in those fights but he wasn't ducking anybody.

That's why I want to see them consolidate the titles. Make defenses mandatory against the other title holders. Too many governing bodies spoil the broth.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which is fine with me - IMO the heavyweight division needs an upper weight limit. These guys are just too big, and with the science devoted to the sport these days they're just too damn strong.

Case in point - Ali/Frazier in Madison Square Garden. Ali weighed 215 pounds, Joe weighed 205.

Lennox Lewis fought right around 245 and most heavyweight contenders now are right around 240. That's too damn big.

What is wrong with large dudes fighting? I'd much rather watch the big guys duke it out.

• Members

What is wrong with large dudes fighting? I'd much rather watch the big guys duke it out.

Not if they just throw a punch and hug each other. Most heavyweight fights these days are boring as hell. Kind of like when the guys go to the ground and hump for 5 minutes in UFC.

• Members

Not if they just throw a punch and hug each other. Most heavyweight fights these days are boring as hell. Kind of like when the guys go to the ground and hump for 5 minutes in UFC.

yup. Most of the heavyweights couldnt' box their way out of a paper bag. They're just big. That's it. Very little skill.

That was one of the joys of watching guys like Frazier, Ali, Holyfield (in his prime0 etc. Big strong bruisers that could box really well.

• Members

yup. Most of the heavyweights couldnt' box their way out of a paper bag. They're just big. That's it. Very little skill.

That plus they just hit too damn hard these days - makes the sport more dangerous. Anybody can stand toe to toe and beat the other guy senseless - but knocking someone out with a body shot is a thing to behold :)

• Members

UFC, BoDog, etc are so much more real life, its no surprise boxing which is purely just a sport, has declined. Is glad theres UFC, BoDog, etc. Theres still sportmanship in it etc, but is a great improvement to sport fighting approach. Due to being closer to realistic fighting in real world.

Archived