OT: Boxing has declined in a major way...

Funkee1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boxers are one trick ponies, and MMA fighters are much more well-rounded. The reason why boxing is losing its touch is because people like seeing more action, and thats exactly what the UFC, pride, etc. brings to the table. All boxers do is hit each other a few times, and then grab each other. Thats the same reason baseball is slowly failing. People want more action from their sports therfore americas old sports are beginnning to slowly fade away.

• Members

I remember how much I used to like boxing as a kid. We even had a big party for the first Evander Holyfield vs Riddick Bowe fight. It was fantastic. Nowdays there just isn't a boxer I could really give a rats ass about.

I remember the earlier UFC matches which involved more striking and hard hitters. Guys like Tank Abbott, Shamrock, and Pat Smith all come to mind. Back when all these guys were busting off wicked punches/kicks/elbows I HATED seeing guys get into dry hump matches.

For whatever reason I didn't watch any matches for a number of years. Recently I saw a UFC tournament at a friend's house and was not very entertained by it. I felt like I was watching high school wrestling with the occasional punch. I just can't get interrested in 2 dudes who weigh less than 170 lbs wrestle around on the match until one eventually puts the other in a Boston Crab.

• Members

Boxers are one trick ponies, and MMA fighters are much more well-rounded. The reason why boxing is losing its touch is because people like seeing more action... All boxers do is hit each other a few times, and then grab each other.

A lot of people don't know {censored} about boxing, the parent poster included.

• Members

Yeah, I've tried to get into UFC, but I just don't dig it. Most of the time the dudes end up humping each other for half the round and it's super ghey. That said, most heavyweight fights are one punch and hug, so it's not much better right now. :(

• Members

When I think about it. I should start watching kickboxing. It has pretty much everything I would like to see in a MMA match minus the elbows.

Yup, sounds like you'd like Pride (recently bought by UFC so who knows what'll happen now) or K-1 Kickboxing. Both of these stay upright although K-1 gives points for knocking your opponent to the mat and many matches have a 3 down rule.

• Members

I've been to a UFC fight, and it was pretty {censored}in cool. I have yet to see a live professional boxing match. Both have their + and - but mostly they have violence, and that's what I like. Weather it's Tyson back in the day, Lidell in the zone, or the kids down at the sports bar fighting over some nasty chick... it's all good in the hood.

• Members

It all shifted to UFC, IFL, Bodog, and Pride. Boxing has become the "Gentleman's" fighting league.

We're reverting into the gladiator era of bloodsports... Colloseum style baby!

I say, embrace it.

My wife was telling me about an interesting article she read/heard on NPR? recently. It was talking about the impact that boxing and Ultimate Fighting had on their respective competitors. Permanant damage from Ult. fighting almost never happens. There has only been like one death(is that correct?). Conversely, the permanent brain injuries sustained by boxers are uncountable.

Why is it so the UFC so popular? Well...personalities, for one thing. It's like real pro wrestling. Boxing...guys often start out with personalities, but eventually become walking vegetables.

• Members

My wife was telling me about an interesting article she read/heard on NPR? recently. It was talking about the impact that boxing and Ultimate Fighting had on their respective competitors. Permanant damage from Ult. fighting almost never happens. There has only been like one death(is that correct?). Conversely, the permanent brain injuries sustained by boxers are uncountable.

Why is it so the UFC so popular? Well...personalities, for one thing. It's like real pro wrestling. Boxing...guys often start out with personalities, but eventually become walking vegetables.

I think the problem with boxing is there isn't one governing body and the sanctioning bodies that are out there don't give a rat's ass about the boxers. That and each state has it's own commission and deal with such things differently as well. Basically, it's a big cluster{censored}.

If a boxer wants to fight and the WBF can make some money, the WBF doesn't give a {censored} if the fighter is a 45 year old Evander Holyfield that is but a shadow of his former self and well on his way to losing his ability to speak. The WBF is just an example... Every commission is like this, it seems. I definitely agree that boxing totally sucks this way.

• Members

I think the problem with boxing is there isn't one governing body and the sanctioning bodies that are out there don't give a rat's ass about the boxers. That and each state has it's own commission and deal with such things differently as well. Basically, it's a big cluster{censored}.

Yep...that and repeated blows to the head.

The article was also talking about how using boxing gloves actually makes it worse for the brain. Less cuts = fights go longer = MORE blows to the head!

:freak:

• Members

That's a fight between two masters of the craft, two guys that no one wants to fight, two guys that had to get recognition the hard way.

That being said, this could be the most boring fight of all time because both of them have very good defense and will both be looking to counter-punch.

Absolutely.

the Margarito-Williams fight was a damn good fight last weekend. Two good aggressive boxers.

Sad to see Gatti finish his career the way he did though. I liked Thunder. He just has nothing left in the tank.

• Members

DeLaHoya needs to lose a few and Mayweather's a punk, but I still grin every time I see George. Great boxer, humble man.

Same here. Manny kicks ass. his brother....not so much.

Also a huge Marco Antonio Barrera fan. Typical mexican warrior type of a fighter. He ruined Erik Morales for good.

I don't think he has it in him to do a rematch with Pacquiao though.

Jermaine Taylor is one HELL of a good fighter. No one wants to fight him though, much like wright and Hopkins dealt with their whole careers.

Cotto is probably the most talented boxer out there. Mayweather is great, but he won't make a fight with Margarito or Cotto. He is afraid to really put his rep on the line IMO.

There are no great heavyweights anymore, which is why the popularity of boxing is down. But for boxing purists, it is really a golden era right now in the middle weight classes. Tons of excellent and entertaining boxers out there.

So far as MMA being so much better................yeah, right. I love MMA fighting as well, but they are completely different sports.

• Members

"Fake" or not (with the fake part being the determined outcomes), if boxing or even UFC for that matter were that awesome, pro wrestling wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar business and dominate sports the way it does.

I don't watch it anymore, but wrestling is a helluva lot more interesting and entertaining than either of the two "real" sports anyday.

I used to like UFC back a lot when it first came out, and watch it once in a while now. Boxing never appealed to me past Mike Tyson's Punchout. :)

Now there's a bunch of Ivan Drago's beating the crap outta everyone which I think is kinda cool actually. They don't run their mouths and act like movie stars with their "boyz" following them around, wiping their asses- just let their fists do the talking. I watch the reruns on HBO and Showtime and they maul most guys. :thu:

• Members

"Fake" or not (with the fake part being the determined outcomes), if boxing or even UFC for that matter were that awesome, pro wrestling wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar business and dominate sports the way it does.

It doesn't.

The Mayweather-De La Joya PPV alone brought in over $150 million.

That's just one fight....albeit a big one.

the only part of boxing that isn't huge right now is the heavyweight division.

• Members

It doesn't.

The Mayweather-De La Joya PPV alone brought in over $150 million.

That's just one fight....albeit a big one.

the only part of boxing that isn't huge right now is the heavyweight division.

That's what I mean. PPV numbers for wrestling usually stay pretty consistent, and they have them more often. Plus live events 2-3 times a week.

I know it's not as big now as it was say in the mid-late 90's, but I'll bet wrestling outdoes boxing by a decent margin. And that fight was probably the biggest in a long time. Even I watched it. :)

• Members

...the only part of boxing that isn't huge right now is the heavyweight division.

Which is fine with me - IMO the heavyweight division needs an upper weight limit. These guys are just too big, and with the science devoted to the sport these days they're just too damn strong.

Case in point - Ali/Frazier in Madison Square Garden. Ali weighed 215 pounds, Joe weighed 205.

Lennox Lewis fought right around 245 and most heavyweight contenders now are right around 240. That's too damn big.

• Members

I'm a big UFC fan but if you want to see some entertaining boxing, get the first year of the Contender series about a bunch of up and comers hosted by Sly Stalone and Sugar Ray Leonard. Fast forward to the fights at the end. :D

• Members

I'm a big UFC fan but if you want to see some entertaining boxing, get the first year of the Contender series about a bunch of up and comers hosted by Sly Stalone and Sugar Ray Leonard. Fast forward to the fights at the end.
:D

Alfonso Gomez is the guy that just ended Arturo Gatti's career this weekend. ;)

• Members

Which is fine with me - IMO the heavyweight division needs an upper weight limit. These guys are just too big, and with the science devoted to the sport these days they're just too damn strong.

Case in point - Ali/Frazier in Madison Square Garden. Ali weighed 215 pounds, Joe weighed 205.

Lennox Lewis fought right around 245 and most heavyweight contenders now are right around 240. That's too damn big.

I agree. i've always been a bigger fan of the lightweight and middleweight fighters.

Leonard (my #1 all time)

Hearns

Hagler

Jones

DeLaJoya

trinidad

barrera

morales

pacquiao

Sugar Ray Robinson (probably my #2 all time)

Monzon

Hopkins

Michael Nunn

Lamotta

Chavez

Duran

Kid gavilan

Tszyu

basilio

Hatton

marquez

Whitaker

Arguello

Mancini

Camacho

Wilfredo Gomez

Oscar Larios

Past and present, the best fighters ever. Speed skill power....everything

• Members

I'd agree with that for the most part, but a good heavyweight fight is amazing to watch. When Lennox beat up Tyson, it was a thing of beauty. Hell, when Lennox fought anyone it was usually fun to watch. I just like that guy and I think I'm in the minority in my opinion that Lennox was one of the best heavyweights ever. Yeah, he got caught and yeah he squeaked by Klitchko but pretty much every great heavyweight has had that happen to them. Ali got his jaw broken by Norton, Frazier got killed by Foreman, Foreman got beat by Ali, Joe Louis got beat by Marciano (Joe Louis was, in fact, 175 years old :D)... There just aren't very many interesting heavyweights right now. I mean, look at this guy's list:

http://boxing.about.com/cs/rankingschampions/a/bl_heavy.htm

Holyfield still in the Top 10? Please...

• Members

I'd agree with that for the most part, but a good heavyweight fight is amazing to watch. When Lennox beat up Tyson, it was a thing of beauty. Hell, when Lennox fought anyone it was usually fun to watch. I just like that guy and I think I'm in the minority in my opinion that Lennox was one of the best heavyweights ever. Yeah, he got caught and yeah he squeaked by Klitchko but pretty much every great heavyweight has had that happen to them. Ali got his jaw broken by Norton, Frazier got killed by Foreman, Foreman got beat by Ali, Joe Louis got beat by Marciano (Joe Louis was, in fact, 175 years old
:D
)... There just aren't very many interesting heavyweights right now. I mean, look at this guy's list:

http://boxing.about.com/cs/rankingschampions/a/bl_heavy.htm

Holyfield still in the Top 10? Please...

I would put Holyfield in the top 5 of all time. but the fact someone has him in their top 10 NOW tells you how bad the Heavyweight division has become.

Lewis was a great boxer. I wasn't a big fan of his, but he had incredible skills. I wish he would have fought Holyfield before he was washed up. I think it would have been one hell of a fight.

Anybody can get caught with a punch. I don't hold that or the Kiltchko thing against him.

Hell, for that matter, Tyson is the MOST OVERRATED heavyweight EVER imo.

who did he ever beat?

• Members

Cotto is probably the most talented boxer out there. Mayweather is great, but he won't make a fight with Margarito or Cotto. He is afraid to really put his rep on the line IMO.

Actually, I think if Mayweather is going to fight anyone, it will be Cotto. As good as Cotto is, he doesn't have enough volume to penetrate Mayweather's defense. Remember, Cotto got frozen and wobbled in the first few rounds against Zab Judah. Mayweather will stay in the pocket and tee off in him for all 12 rounds.

Margarito is too much risk and too little reward.

I think one of the biggest problems with boxing is the protection of the perfect record. Boxing has the most day-after critics of any sport. Of course he's no good, he just got beat by so-and-so. He's nothing. Instead of taking risky fights or really fan-friendly fights, many boxers just sit on the undefeated record until they get a payday against one of the big boys.

Archived