OT: Boxing has declined in a major way...

Funkee1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

July 21st, we have Bernard vs Winky??????
:freak:

That's a fight between two masters of the craft, two guys that no one wants to fight, two guys that had to get recognition the hard way.

That being said, this could be the most boring fight of all time because both of them have very good defense and will both be looking to counter-punch.

• Members
That's a fight between two masters of the craft, two guys that no one wants to fight, two guys that had to get recognition the hard way.

That being said, this could be the most boring fight of all time because both of them have very good defense and will both be looking to counter-punch.

Yeah, but.........Bernard and Winky???????????

• Members

The UFC bouts used to go until someone won. Some were an hour or longer. The UFC is still cool but too many rules.

They had too many serious injuries back then, also. Plus, now that it's popular and people are buying the PPV's, they can't have hour long ground and pound matches, it just gets too boring for most people.

I often wish they'd do 5 rounds instead of 3, but some fights are too long at 3. Nothing sucks worse than watching two completely gassed fighters cuddle on the mat because neither of them has the energy to pull off a submission or pass guard.

C7

• Moderators

Boxing went downhill when Olympic coverage went stupid and covered all kinds of other sports. Without good Olympic coverage, no one would have cared who Sugar Ray Leonard, Michael Spinks, Leon Spinks and some others were. Boxing moving to PPV and Tyson knocking everyone out on that PPV within the first 3 rounds devastated the sport's attractiveness, too. I'd rather watch a good boxing match over UFC any day of the week.

• Members

UFC - 5X the talent, 1/10 the bull{censored} and the egos.

It seems to me that it's the total opposite. The UFC lets the fighters mash together any styles to the point where all the strategy and intricacies of a good fight go to the crapper. It's more of "see who can flail the most" contest, and it seems like every match ends with the two fighters dry humping each other on the floor.

I've never seen a UFC fighter throw a punch half as strong as a good punch thrown by a boxer.

The thing about boxing is that it's really about the strategy and skill of the fighter, which just isn't as entertaining to most people as seeing two people beat each other up as bad as they can, and the UFC is more about that.

• Members

Really? So you've never seen a UFC fighter box?

Well if you put it that way... still horse{censored}. Boxing is strictly boxing... MMA encompasses most aspects of fighting. How can that be compared?

Yeah MMA fights include boxing, but they also include a boat load of other stuff. You can get by being a lowsy boxer in MMA, but you can't in boxing. And the other way around, you could suck as a wrestler/grappler in MMA, but it wouldn't even matter in Boxing.

Boxing focuses everything on 1 aspect of fighting, and requires a hell of alot more finesse and skill. MMA focuses on just about everything.

MMA (in most cases) = Jack of all trades, king of none

• Members

+1. :( I've always been a pretty big boxing fan, but right now it's just not super interesting. Seems when Lennox retired, Jones Jr. got beat up a couple times, Gatti quit fighting Ward, Hamed went away, De La Hoya started losing more often than not, and Mayweather started beating everyone, everywhere... Boxing just got fairly uninteresting.

--edit--

I guess Pacquiao is fun to watch & Margarito is good too. Miguel Cotto is also good. Ricky Hatton is fun to watch. I dunno... There's interesting fighters out there for sure, but they're kind of under the radar in a not-so big ticket sort of way aside from Mayweather.

Archived