Musicman Bongo bass

randy rhoads jr

• Moderators

It's a unique looking hot rod bass, that reminds many people of a toilet seat. I personally like them and will own one before I return to dust. Not much of a review, but they sound huge and have a great variety of tones available.

• Members

Hey Mike, how much are you looking to spend? There's a sweet looking HS 5er on the MM forums going for $1,000 shipped. The back of the neck has been stripped and refinished in oil and wax, but it looks like a pro job. Worth checking out if you're interested.

I've talked to him already about that one. I'm probably the only person in the world that thinks the value of it dropped when he had that neck stripped. He's asking a decent price but I'd rather have the HH config.

• Members

Personally i love having the finish on the back of the neck.

I really wish they made that an option, because I hate it! It makes it slow...and it's a pretty fast neck anyways. Just imagine what it would be like if it was nice smooth wood (birds eye maple while I'm fantasizing) w/ a satin finish!

• Members

I've talked to him already about that one. I'm probably the only person in the world that thinks the value of it dropped when he had that neck stripped. He's asking a decent price but I'd rather have the HH config.

I'd have to agree with you. Once it isn't stock anymore, it isn't worth stock anymore.

• Members

yup. pretty much.

First thing that attracted me to them was the styling. The one I saw was metallic orange. It was gorgeous.

It was $899 and I had no idea how much of a price reduction that was, or I would have bought it on the spot.

• Members

I really wish they made that an option, because I hate it! It makes it slow...and it's a pretty fast neck anyways. Just imagine what it would be like if it was nice smooth wood (birds eye maple while I'm fantasizing) w/ a satin finish!

That's why I love my new Yamaha RBX 3470, it has two massive, exposed-pole humbuckers and a nice satin finish on the back of the neck!! Powerful tone... I like the looks of the Bongo and some of the colors are cool.

• Moderators
First thing that attracted me to them was the styling. The one I saw was metallic orange. It was gorgeous.

It was $899 and I had no idea how much of a price reduction that was, or I would have bought it on the spot.

That's a big fish that got away!:cry:

• Members

That's why I love my new Yamaha RBX 3470, it has two massive, exposed-pole humbuckers and a nice satin finish on the back of the neck!! Powerful tone... I like the looks of the Bongo and some of the colors are cool.

RBX3470? Typo maybe? Not getting any google hits on that model. Have a pic by any chance? A Yammy with two exposed pole buckers sounds intriguing.

• Members

I loved the looks and playability on mine (had it for over a year), but ultimately, the tone was not to my liking-it just lacked a certain woodiness that I like in my tone.

YMMV, and if I needed a really aggressive bass, I would go for one again in a second.

Archived