Buying a bank repo'd used truck?

guitargod0dmw

• Members

Does anybody have any advice for buying a bank repoed used truck from a dealer? Anything I should look out for, other than the usual used car stuff?

Basically it's a:

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab w/ a hemi

According to KBB and the approx. mileage the dealer told me it's worth about $19,500. Obviously I'd offer less than that, because the salesman told me they NEED to get rid of the truck and it'll be on my terms...so make an offer. How much should I offer? I'm thinking maybe $16K.

• Members

You can get killer deals on repo stuff, provided it's in good condish.

Sounds like a good deal. Trucks go for on the cheap nowadays, which is a good thing. :)

There's this F350 (non dually) Lariat King Ranch edition at this dealer across from my office. {censored}ing rad. My dad has an F250 FX4 and it's badass. Makes my F150 Lariat feel like driving a toy. :)

• Members

Is the title clean , IIRC salvaged titles are worth much less , especially if it was a collectable / vintage / exotic .

Everything is clean...no problems with it...still has a warranty...

Is there anything major that I should look out for though? Basically it's a used car, but I've just never dealt with a repo before...other than my stupid friend who had 2 of his cars repoed!

• Members

Is there anything major that I should look out for though? Basically it's a used car, but I've just never dealt with a repo before...other than my stupid friend who had 2 of his cars repoed!

Repo to my knowledge just means they take it away from someone who couldn't pay for it.

Not like it's a rental, or anything I hope! ;)

• Members

I'd run a CarFax on it and also ask to see the title if available.

• Members

I'm def. getting a car fax when I get there after work. I told the guy I wanted to see it and the sticker when I get there. I just stopped to check it out on my way to work and it didn't have a window sticker so I'm not sure what options it has.

So does anybody think that starting an offer at like say $15K or $16K to too low or not low enough? I mean, what have I got to lose really? The bank is the ones losing money as we speak...interest is a bitch! And I think they'd rather loss $1K or 2 right now instead of $5K or 6 on the long run...

Also...would they take my car as a trade for a repo? Or is that a special circumstance to where they might not want to? I'd prefer to just trade it in instead of sell it myself...too much of a pain in the ass.

• Members

I'm def. getting a car fax when I get there after work. I told the guy I wanted to see it and the sticker when I get there. I just stopped to check it out on my way to work and it didn't have a window sticker so I'm not sure what options it has.

So does anybody think that starting an offer at like say $15K or $16K to too low or not low enough? I mean, what have I got to lose really? The bank is the ones losing money as we speak...interest is a bitch! And I think they'd rather loss $1K or 2 right now instead of $5K or 6 on the long run...

Also...would they take my car as a trade for a repo? Or is that a special circumstance to where they might not want to? I'd prefer to just trade it in instead of sell it myself...too much of a pain in the ass.

Go right ahead! You've got it pegged- the lender is the one paying off the car company and the note. Make sure you tell them you're doing THEM a favor... ;)

• Members

If it was me, and everything was clean, I'd start negotiating at 15k, and set my ceiling at 17 or 17.5.

Sounds like a good plan! I've been looking at new ones these past few days and they are pretty damn expensive, so if I can get one for a lot less...it would be awesome! Equipped about the same, they're running about $37K...

• Moderators

Check out Edmund's. That site has used values based on zip code, trade-in values, and some other advice as well. It may have some really good pointers for you there.

• Members

One of my very good friends has the King Ranch. It's beyond friggin' sweet. And it does make my F150 4X4 supercab look like a paupermobile.

Check out
. That site has used values based on zip code, trade-in values, and some other advice as well. It may have some really good pointers for you there.

Totally.

Arguably the most badass truck I've ever seen.

And the price on it is surprisingly good. I'd love to have it, but my F150 Lariat doesn't even have 50K miles on it yet.

• Moderators
Eh as long as you have a reasonable maximum offer, I don't think you can start too low. Pull $1 out of your wallet and go from there! lol they said they need to get rid of it.

There's a point at which low-balling that poorly is insulting and at best, they'll come back with an offer that is equally outrageous, thus causing the haggling process to endure significantly longer than necessary. Believe it or not, even most car salesmen have a family to feed.

• Members

Ok...so it wasn't a repo at all. It was a 1 year lease. Stupid salesman! I went in with my game face on and went back and forth on the price until I finally walked out from them not just giving me the bottom line. We went back and forth for longer than I cared to be there, and they just weren't giving me the deal I wanted.

When I walked out, the salesman followed me out the door and started yelling at me "Hey...you're just gonna walk out on me?!?!? Why don't you come back and talk to me like a man!" I shook my head and kept walking. Then the office manager came out to my car and asked me what I wanted to pay and he said...ok we'll do that. I told him we'd still need to think about it, and he said ok...come in if you want. Me and the wife talked it over (she has never bought a car from a dealer, and was kind of surprised that we walked out...she thought it was a dick thing to do) after the manager left us, she goes "Oh...I get it now!"

So I walked back in and said that the only way I'd do it is if they install a hard locking tonnuea cover as well for the same price. He said ok. I got a killer deal on it. No more yuppy Audi for me...but I will miss that car a lot!

This thing is HUGE! I love it. It doesn't look nearly as big in the pics though. I am 6' 1" and the highest point of the hood is up to my chin! Bone stock...

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab

20" Chrome wheels

5.7 liter Hemi

12K miles

Factory warranty

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

• Members

"Hey...you're just gonna walk out on me?!?!? Why don't you come back and talk to me like a man!"

"Why don't you pull your head out of your ass and attempt to make the sale, douchebag."

God, I hate asshole car salesmen. Seems there are only two types out there. The guy you dealt with - asshole. And then you have the "dick suckers." Car salesmen that will do basically anything to try to get the sale.

• Members

"Why don't you pull your head out of your ass and attempt to make the sale, douchebag."

God, I hate asshole car salesmen. Seems there are only two types out there. The guy you dealt with - asshole. And then you have the "dick suckers." Car salesmen that will do basically anything to try to get the sale.

He was a combination of both I think. He wanted to make the sale really bad, and was willing to do anything to get it done. However, he thought I was a moron and didn't know exactly how to haggle. My family has been in the car business forever...both sides. My family owned a garage and then we sold it to my wifes family, when we were little tikes and didn't know each other.

Once I talked to the sales manager guy, I told him that I know he'll do what I want he said "Yeah...if a salesman said they couldn't they'd be lying...and it sucks that you know that!"

• Members

I'm not a Dodge man myself, but that is one slick lookin' truck my friend!
:thu:

I'm more of a Chevy guy as well, but the new ones are freaking ugly. Fords are ok, but I'd prefer to have something else...which by process of elimination is a Dodge. When buying a full size truck, I see no other options than those 3...

And thanks!

Archived