Anybody not have a home phone?

Thunderbroom

• Members

I'm seriously thinking of dumping my home phone service. We're paying ~$40 per month to have a home phone. My wife does spend a fair amount of time on it each month which is why I've been hesitant to drop it.

Our cell phone bill is currently $120 per month. This cost includes all taxes/fees, internet access for me, 800 share minutes, and three phones. Looking at the Sprint site (my current carrier), I can add another phone for my son and up the minutes to 2100 and likely be under $160 (current cell plus landline bill).

Any of you folks go cell only?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only reason I have a land line is for my DSL... and apparently soon we can have DSL without using the phone freq. so as soon as that happens, it's bye bye home phone.

Dish Network uses a land line for PPV and they charge $5 per month if you don't have a line connected. I'll pay the $5 just so that I don't give $40+ to the godamn phone company.

• Members

My wife isn't sold on the idea. Her thing is "what if cell service goes out and there's an emergency"?

Landlines aren't bulletproof either.

My wife was concerned that we'd lose our local number that EVERYONE has. So I had it ported to her cell phone. That sold her on it.

• Members

I have a phone line in my house but only for my home office, but it is paid for by my employer. multiple hour conference calls eat up a lot of minutes and impractical using crappy cell phone speaker phone features.

• Members

I went without a home phone for 4 years with no problems. Then again I'm not a big talker. NOw we have to have a home phone because cell phone service out here is a bit spotty. We have a deal with Verizon for 40 bucks a month we get all the LD, local and toll calls we want.

Dan

• Members

Mrs Svi and I just have our cell phones. I have not had a home phone since I lived at home with my parents. I just don't see the point. Everyone I know has my cell phone number so even if I had a home phone, no one would call it.

• Members

Shut mine off in 2005 ;)

Got annoyed and got two real cell phones to replace the two prepaid phones we were using - then called Comcast and told them to shove their cable service but that's another story :D

Dish does charge me $5 per DVR for not having a phone line connected to the receivers, but I can't get a hard line for ten bucks.

I haven't missed the hard line at all. One of the best moves I ever made :)

edit: Plus, as it stands today telemarketers can't get your cell number unless you give it to them :D

• Members

I don't like handing out my cellular number to just anyone so I'll stick with a land line. Even without that, cellular service has a long way to go before it has the quality and reliability of a land line.

As for my DirecTivo, I hacked it to use the network instead of the phoneline.

Archived