Anybody not have a home phone?

Thunderbroom

• Members

As part of my internet deal I can get the home phone for a little less than $4 a month. I can live with that... I could have it so that I could call freely to other home phones if I paid an additional call it $12 or so... However I don't use it that much.. It's just cheaper around here to call home phone to home phone and cell to cell... So I choose which to use based on who I'm calling...

I have a10mbit up and down connection for less than $10 a month btw.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm still on the fence with this.

Have any of you tried to negotiate the price of you home phone service down with the provider? It's ~$40 now after taxes. I just wonder if they're interested in making some money instead of no money. I guess I'll just have to call.

• Members

Have any of you tried to negotiate the price of you home phone service down with the provider? It's ~$40 now after taxes. I just wonder if they're interested in making some money instead of no money. I guess I'll just have to call.

Haha good luck with that! :rolleyes:

• Members

If you have a Cable Modem, see if they offer digital phone service. Cox sells us the phone service very cheap and you can port your number from AT&T.

• Members

Cell phones don't work well enough in my crib to rely on them. I live in the middle of a sprawling suburban wilderness, and I still have calls dropped all the time. It happens with everyone's phone at my house.

We've talked about dropping home phone but even when we get decent cell reception (usually when you're standing right next to the couch in the living room, very still), we have to have people repeat themselves. Pretty much anywhere else in town, I have fabulous reception...:mad:
C7

• Members
Cell phones don't work well enough in my crib to rely on them. I live in the middle of a sprawling suburban wilderness, and I still have calls dropped all the time. It happens with everyone's phone at my house.

We've talked about dropping home phone but even when we get decent cell reception (usually when you're standing right next to the couch in the living room, very still), we have to have people repeat themselves. Pretty much anywhere else in town, I have fabulous reception...
:mad:
C7

In my area we get really good reception. My only reservation right now about dropping the landline is the amount of time my wife spends on the home phone. My guess though that applying the $40 that we spend on our home phone to our cell bill will push the plan minutes sufficiently high enough to make it a non-issue.

• Members
In my area we get really good reception. My only reservation right now about dropping the landline is the amount of time my wife spends on the home phone. My guess though that applying the $40 that we spend on our home phone to our cell bill will push the plan minutes sufficiently high enough to make it a non-issue.

Tell her to get the {censored} off the damn phone!:mad: Be all like "Whaddayu, like 14 again?!?":D
C7

• Members
Tell her to get the {censored} off the damn phone!
:mad:
Be all like "Whaddayu, like 14 again?!?":D

C7

Nah...

She does a lot of volunteer work and fields many calls as a result. I don't think she likes talking so much on the phone but it comes with the territory. Of course she could use the cell phone as her rationale for limiting calls.
:idea:

• Members
Nah...

She does a lot of volunteer work and fields many calls as a result. I don't think she likes talking so much on the phone but it comes with the territory. Of course she could use the cell phone as her rationale for limiting calls.

:idea:

That's good. My wife just uses it for mindless gossip.:D

• Members

I'm seriously thinking of dumping my home phone service. We're paying ~$40 per month to have a home phone. My wife does spend a fair amount of time on it each month which is why I've been hesitant to drop it.

Our cell phone bill is currently $120 per month. This cost includes all taxes/fees, internet access for me, 800 share minutes, and three phones. Looking at the Sprint site (my current carrier), I can add another phone for my son and up the minutes to 2100 and likely be under $160 (current cell plus landline bill).

Any of you folks go cell only?

We dumped ours nearly a year ago when we moved. We had both because there was no wireless or cable hookups for my PC.

Now, we have cells. Why have both, it's an unnecessary expense.

• Members

When I moved into my apt in february, I had digital phone installed with my TV and internet. I work for a cable/telecom company, and used to do support for their digital phone service, so I know just what all can go wrong. And guess what, they did it wrong. So, I had them cancel that, and they were cool enough to refund all of the cost of it, even though it took me a month to finally call and cancel it (they took the time to look and see that I had made no calls, since they hadn't set it up correctly).

My cell works well enough for the few minutes per day that I need to use a phone. I'm pretty much a hermit when I'm not at work, and honestly have very few people to talk to. If it died, I'd just be a little more hermit-y for a few days while I waited for a new one.

• Members

I'd keep it for emergencies. You never know when the cell phone battery will die, and of course it probably will die then there's an emergency (Murphy's Law).

My home phone has no long distance provider, which makes it cheaper.

• Members

I'd keep it for emergencies. You never know when the cell phone battery will die, and of course it probably will die then there's an emergency (Murphy's Law).

My home phone has no long distance provider, which makes it cheaper.

We'll have four phones (family plan). The chances of all of them going dead at the same time is about nil. I was thinking of getting one of those prepaid phones as an emergency backup though.

Archived