8 String Basses: got a link where I can hear one?

Good Shirt

• Members

Not sure, but some live Cheap Trick recordings has Tom Peterson playing an 8 string bass. You can sort of hear it on the end of "Ain't That A Shame" when everyone takes turns playing quick solos. Sounds like he has a little distortion on it though....

Mr. Matt

• Members

Similarly, Pearl Jam's Animal.

And...Go! Lots of Pearl Jam has an 8 string in it.

On a side note, is Jeff Ament gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that. On his wikipedia it mentions that he and his "partner" Pandora climbed Mt' Kilimanjaro...

• Members

And...Go! Lots of Pearl Jam has an 8 string in it.

On a side note, is Jeff Ament gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that. On his wikipedia it mentions that he and his "partner" Pandora climbed Mt' Kilimanjaro...

But Pandora is a girl's name ...

• Members

But Pandora is a girl's name ...

I think it's like Jamie or Casey...it can go both ways. Sounds like a made up name or a strippers name anyways. I know people name their kids all kinds of things these days...it's just funny how it says partner instead of GF or wife.

• Moderators

Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick plays mostly 12 stringers, not 8's. You can listen to their live albums to hear the octave strings in action. His live rig consists generally of 3 amps. On bass, one mid, one treb. The mid has a bit of chorus on it. Jack Blades of Night Ranger/Damn Yankees played an 8 regularly, if I'm not mistaken.

• Members

Not always the best for audio quality and it may not always be your favorite playing style, but YouTube is turning into a great resource for gear demos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=8+string+bass&search=

Dustin

Edit: After looking at the crap I actually posted (part of my new quality assurance program) I realized that the YouTube link really isn't that helpful. Just like me. Sorry.

• Members

pearl jam's Jeremy is on a 12...

8s are a lot more subtle than 12s (in a "a 12 is a pack of stampeeding elephants, the 8 is a much more subtle pack of stampeeding buffaloes" kind of way...)

The old school metal band "Raven" features a 8-string on a lot of their material...

• Members

pearl jam's Jeremy is on a 12...

8s are a lot more subtle than 12s (in a "a 12 is a pack of stampeeding elephants, the 8 is a much more subtle pack of stampeeding buffaloes" kind of way...).

Just listened to it ...and I also thought that was also a guitar doubling the bass in the intro of Jeremy!

I like the idea of 8-strings because you could take off the octave strings and still have a perfectly good 4 string with a reasonable neck. 12's seem to sound too huge for my taste.

• Members

93098_john.jpg

Here's some songs from my old band "Kurfu" (hence my nick). These are mostly from 1995-2000 or so. Various studios, and various levels of quality...

Kurfu - Are You Ready?

-Clean tone, Ampeg SVP preamp -> Crown amp -> Peavey 2x15 Black Widow cab

Kurfu - Games

-Heavy distortion, Played through a Marshall guitar head (I think) and probably combined with a direct signal.

Kurfu - Chase

-Clean, direct through a Bass SansAmp DI

Kurfu - Sanctuary

-Distorted, direct through a Boss Bass Distortion -> Bass SansAmp DI

Kurfu - Skin

-Distorted, direct through a Boss Bass Distortion -> Bass SansAmp DI

I've still got the 8-String, but I don't use it much anymore becuase it doesn't really fit with my current blues/rock cover band... And it sounds best through a monster rig with a bit of distortion on the top end.

:thu:

Archived