venturawest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

looks bad.

i was just on that stretch a month ago.

looks bad.

Amazing. Its a damn good thing that it happened in summer time.

I wouldn't want to hit that water in subzero temps.

So... Now the USA has joined the ranks of banana republics as far as safe highways go.

You would expect these things to be a historical artifact after the bridge collapse on the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95) not so long ago.

And it happened in Minnesota no less. If it were Massachusetts, Connecticutt, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, DC, etc, no one would be surprised.

And people actually ask me if it is safe to travel to Brasil!

Yes, just don't into Congonhas airport (CGN - Sao Paulo) on a wet day.

• Members

:eek:

Any word on how that happened?

No word as of yet - this bridge was around 40 years old and was in the middle of being repaired. It was reduced to one lane for traffic so work could be done.

There was a school bus full of kids on a span of the bridge that fell, all of whom got away unharmed. No word of fatalities yet, but there was confirmation of a few as I'm writing.

• Members

Amazing. Its a damn good thing that it happened in summer time.

I wouldn't want to hit that water in subzero temps.

So... Now the USA has joined the ranks of banana republics as far as safe highways go.

You would expect these things to be a historical artifact after the bridge collapse on the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95) not so long ago.

Remember that we have far more infrastructure than all banana republics combined. Considering the tens of thousands of roadways we have here, we are actually doing very well AFA engineering safety.

• Members

Remember that we have far more infrastructure than all banana republics combined. Considering the tens of thousands of roadways we have here, we are actually doing very well AFA engineering safety.

Yes, we do have more highway miles.

And more engineers, and more lawyers too.

To your point, I have been over many bridges outside the USA that will fail sooner or later, but almost certainly before they are closed by authorities. And I hope than I am not on one of them when they do fail.

One would hope that bridge inspectors in the USA don't take bribes as is commonplace in other parts.

• Members

Usually we are offended when the midwest, and Minneapolis/St Paul are called flyover land. But, I think, in the back of our heads, a lot of Minnesotans think that way, also. These disasters aren't supposed to happen here. They are supposed to be in NY or LA or San Francisco. Not here. This is flyover land, where nothing big ever happens, and we like that.

• Members

I caught this radio program last week about Our Nation's Aging Infrastructure. This accident may or may not be age-related but apparently the possibility of more similar events in the future is looming.

A bridge I travel over almost every day, half a mile from my house, is apparently way overdue for replacement but the city/state are juggling highway funds to support (much needed) new projects in this area, while fixing the old ones falls further and further behind.

• Members

Most of the errors are due to the rush to get something on the air or in print or on the 'net a.s.a.p. Details will be checked later, just get it out!

Sure...I understand that...but the only details given were:

Bridge collapsed @ 6:05

Minneapolis

People are hurt (not sure how many)

Tractor trailer on fire

• Members

I just listened to a series of news conferences by the Governor and DOT reps, also some federal reps. They tell us that they had inspected the bridge each year and noted that all the cracks and fractures were OK; at least not bad enough to close the bridge. The bridge has a traffic volume of 141,000 per day. They went on to say they hired additional consultants to inspect the bridge in 2005 then had the structural engineering department of the UM to further inspect it in 2006. These consultants were above and beyond what the state DOT reps were alledgedly doing.

Well, if it wasn't a terrorist attack and I am not convinced yet it wasn't, then what does this say about all the idiots who are doing these inspections? :confused:

To be a bit more cynical ;) since it was the most heavily traveled bridge in the state, wouldn't you think they would pay even closer attention to it than others in the state? Especially since MN experiences such extremes in temperatures, road salt (my assumption here) and heavy loads?

I don't think the state reps realize how incompetant and inept they are presenting themselves to be in front of the world media. And what's all this back slapping at what a good job these idiots are doing on the federal and state level?? Makes me want to puke.

This event certainly restores MY faith in the government. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And we want them to take over our healthcare? Yikes.

• Members

I'm no expert in this field, but from what I know and can deduce, bridges and other large structures don't just collapse for no apparent reason.

We have some engineers and architects on this forum. Anyone have any possible explainations/reasons?

Archived