"Sex is a very effective form of outreach and activism," said a PETA spokesman

Rowka

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some certainly seem to, at least towards vegetarians. There's plenty of it going on here in this thread.

I don't think it's so much vegetarians in general, but the ones that go around trying to force their opinions on other people, or bitch when other people eat meat around them. Because that gets REALLY annoying, REALLY quickly.

• Members

I don't think it's so much vegetarians in general, but the ones that go around trying to force their opinions on other people, or bitch when other people eat meat around them. Because that gets REALLY annoying, REALLY quickly.

Definitely. I wouldn't excuse that by any means. What I was observing was that, personally, I have experienced less of the activity described in your post, than that of my vegetarian/vegan friends being mocked/bitched at.

• Members

Go find an article that omnivores produced declaring their intended bias against vegans.

Why would it be a surprise that people with a rather rigid ideology are attracted to others who share the same ideology? I bet they also wouldn't want to sex up republicans.

I get {censored} for being a vegetarian at least monthly, and I never, ever bring it up. People tell me my ethics are stupid and my health is going to decline even though I never solicit their opinion.

• Members

In the US they are responsible for LARGE acts of terrorism... But, hey, to be fair, I have met a few who supported PETA but weren't nut balls, so I guess the militant ones give the rest a bad name...

Which large acts of terrorism were committed by PETA?

The Earth Liberation Front and Animal Liberation Front have committed many acts of terrorism... but neither of those are PETA, nor are they funded by PETA to the best of my knowledge.

• Members

...I've been on both sides and there's plenty of personal bias that goes on toward each side from each side, But that's life, people can be assholes, especially when defending what they believe is true....is this a big surprise???

...That article is pretty ridiculous though.

• Members

Which large acts of terrorism were committed by PETA?

The Earth Liberation Front and Animal Liberation Front have committed many acts of terrorism... but neither of those are PETA, nor are they funded by PETA to the best of my knowledge.

PETA has given both of those organizations money in the past, but I think they recently cut them off due to bad press.

• Members

"I get {censored} for being a vegetarian at least monthly, and I never, ever bring it up. People tell me my ethics are stupid and my health is going to decline even though I never solicit their opinion."

....My uncles used to tell me I would die if I didn't eat meat.

• Members

...I've been on both sides and there's plenty of personal bias that goes on toward each side from each side, But that's life, people can be assholes, especially when defending what they believe is true....is this a big surprise???

...That article is pretty ridiculous though.

Yeah, the findings aren't all that surprising, but the editorializing around the article sucks. Funny that there are plenty of vegetarians and vegans not represented by PETA, the study wasn't conducted by PETA, the people interviewed weren't all PETA members, yet PETA gets the soundbyte and the headline. PETA doesn't speak for vegetarians and vegans, the same way the NRA doesn't speak for all gun owners.

• Members

PETA has given both of those organizations money in the past, but I think they recently cut them off due to bad press.

Wow. It would be tough to fund the ELF since all they really have is a spokesperson who passes along anonymous press releases after events. I don't think it's even a paid position... All terrorism is conducted by volunteers.

:)

Outside of funding organizations that don't directly conduct acts of terrorism, has PETA conducted any acts of terrorism though?

• Members

This paragraph was my favorite:

"Just to clear up a few points from PETA's many contradictory explanations: PETA's tax return for the fiscal year ending July 31, 2001 (FY2000) lists a disbursement to the "North American Earth Liberation Front." No mention was made of any "press office." And while PETA may claim to have earmarked the grant in question for any number of lawful purposes (depending on what day you ask them), the Earth Liberation Front has no "lawful, charitable, animal protection program activities." Period. In testimony before the House of Representatives last year, even long-time ELF "spokesperson" Craig Rosebraugh was unable to articulate any."

"Yes, Senator, we burn {censored}. Usually {censored} that we think will get us alot of attention.":D

C7

Archived