Walking worse for global warming than driving...

chris-dax

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would add 4 hours a day to my commute. Not practical. And neither is mass transit in Denver. Something I wish they would change. we're getting better with our bigger light rail system, but we still have a LONG way to go.

I'm actually really happy with the transit system in Denver, but it doesn't work well for everyone. I do the park-and-ride thing from Cold Springs, and ride downtown to Market Street Station. I get home in 30 minutes to Lakewood and it costs me $25 a week rather than the standard $50 to park. Now that I know the west-downtown system I'll never drive downtown again.

I'm really looking forward to the light rail line that they're building along Colfax; I live 3 blocks from Colfax, near Simms St.:love: When I lived in Englewood and went to school at Metro the light rail was free for students and it was the {censored}...

crowded, but awesome.:D

DTC and Inverness need to put some circuit shuttles in place so people like my wife can ride the light rail and not have to walk a mile to get to their offices. I don't know exactly where your building is down there but I'm sure your peeps would love to ride light rail if they could...as it stands it's still not convenient for 90% of the people that work down there.

C7

• Members

I'm actually really happy with the transit system in Denver, but it doesn't work well for everyone. I do the park-and-ride thing from Cold Springs, and ride downtown to Market Street Station. I get home in 30 minutes to Lakewood and it costs me $25 a week rather than the standard $50 to park. Now that I know the west-downtown system I'll never drive downtown again.

I'm really looking forward to the light rail line that they're building along Colfax; I live 3 blocks from Colfax, near Simms St.
:love:
When I lived in Englewood and went to school at Metro the light rail was free for students and it was the {censored}...

crowded, but awesome.
:D

DTC and Inverness need to put some circuit shuttles in place so people like my wife can ride the light rail and not have to walk a mile to get to their offices. I don't know exactly where your building is down there but I'm sure your peeps would love to ride light rail if they could...as it stands it's still not convenient for 90% of the people that work down there.

C7

It's getting better. Now that they are extending light rail. It really depends on where you live.

• Moderators

It would add 4 hours a day to my commute. Not practical. And neither is mass transit in Denver. Something I wish they would change. we're getting better with our bigger light rail system, but we still have a LONG way to go.

As I said, not practical for everyone.

• CMS Author

Eh, if you say so...you're the one who's changed diapers, I haven't yet. So, I'll take your word for it, this time. I wonder what a soiled diaper weighs. I think that's the point. Two tons, including the diaper, {censored}, piss. The whole nine yards. I think I've talked enough about baby {censored} for the day-my days without it are coming to an end.

A diaper weighs a couple ounces. The piss evaporates. So that still leaves a couple lb of {censored} per day if the kid's metabolism is 0% efficient (in other words, dead but somehow still pumping out turds) and the {censored} is consumed by bacteria pretty quickly.

• Members

A diaper weighs a couple ounces. The piss evaporates. So that still leaves a couple lb of {censored} per day if the kid's metabolism is 0% efficient (in other words, dead but somehow still pumping out turds) and the {censored} is consumed by bacteria pretty quickly.

I give up. I've read NUMEROUS articles on this and everything I've read says that babies go through one-two tons of waste within their first year. I haven't read an article yet that disputes that claim. And I don't think that piss will evaporate if the diaper is sealed up properly. I can see that it would evaporate if the diaper was left open and not closed.

But this "argument" is a lost cause, and I give up. I don't give a {censored} how much waste my kid goes through, I know that babies go through a lot of plastic diapers their first two years, and it takes forever for them to decompose. So I'm doing myself, my conscience, my budget, and my baby a favor by doing cloth diapers.

• Members

But to use the rationale often cited by those who like Michael Moore films, "it does get people thinking".

If employing the same rationale that is needed to prop up a MM film is called for, I think we can pretty casually dismiss the article.

• Members

I give up. I've read NUMEROUS articles on this and everything I've read says that babies go through one-two tons of waste within their first year. I haven't read an article yet that disputes that claim. And I don't think that piss will evaporate if the diaper is sealed up properly. I can see that it would evaporate if the diaper was left open and not closed.

But this "argument" is a lost cause, and I give up. I don't give a {censored} how much waste my kid goes through, I know that babies go through a lot of plastic diapers their first two years, and it takes forever for them to decompose. So I'm doing myself, my conscience, my budget, and my baby a favor by doing cloth diapers.

Selfish earth hater.

:o

• Members

I'm not picking on you personally, I've just learned to question these "facts" and do the math myself. Especially "facts" that come from anybody with an agenda to save the planet. If you believe everything from this bunch next thing you know you'll be believing that we're running out of landfill space or that man is causing global warming. :rolleyes:

• Members

But to use the rationale often cited by those who like Michael Moore films, "it does get people thinking".

Actually, it does get me thinking.:)

At first, I thought this "study" was nonsense. It assumes we get all calories from beef (or cows milk), and that we live in the UK.:rolleyes:

But... it does make me think about the efficiency of how we, as a society, live.

If we eat food that's been transported over thousands of miles, that's not very efficient.

And as jugghaid pointed out, many people drive 30-40 miles a day to get to work and back home. That's not very efficient, either.

And yes, these are choices that we make. People choose to live far from their jobs (or choose jobs that are far from their homes). They choose what to eat, how to wash themselves and their possessions.

We expect our governments we pay taxes to and the companies we invest in to be efficient. Maybe we should set the same standards for ourselves.

• CMS Author

What's with the exasperation? You've read NUMEROUS articles, so it must be true? I've raised two kids through diapers, and if they took a {censored} a day, it was considered normal. Mightof been 5 ounces of turd, and disposables are really light. It doesn't take a math major to figure this out...it simply doesn't add up.

You've assumed I'm justifying disposables, but I'm NOT saying you shouldn't use cloth diapers. I think folks should do what works for them, unlike the treehuggers who think their way is the only way and feel the need to "educate" the rest of us. I'm just looking at the issue with an open mind and trying to consider all the points.

FYI, disposable diapers can be recycled.

• CMS Author

Actually, it does get me thinking.
:)

At first, I thought this "study" was nonsense. It assumes we get all calories from beef (or cows milk), and that we live in the UK.
:rolleyes:

But... it does make me think about the efficiency of how we, as a society, live.

If we eat food that's been transported over thousands of miles, that's not very efficient.

And as jugghaid pointed out, many people drive 30-40 miles a day to get to work and back home. That's not very efficient, either.

And yes, these are
choices
that we make. People choose to live far from their jobs (or choose jobs that are far from their homes). They choose what to eat, how to wash themselves and their possessions.

We expect our governments we pay taxes to and the companies we invest in to be efficient. Maybe we should set the same standards for ourselves.

How much of these choices are made freely, as opposed to being forced upon us? I'd gladly work within a mile of my home. If only there was an employer who'll offer enough security for me to relocate nearby, or if (miracle of miracles) there was an employer near me. The reality is that I can't afford to live near potential employers.

I buy local food whenever possible...it's usually cheaper, I like to support my local economy, and produce is a LOT fresher. But the reality too is that there are no cattle ranches in eastern Pennsylvania, not a lot of grain is grown here...you get the idea. Transport of food and a lot of products is actually very efficient...no business wants to pay more than it has to to move goods to market, and energy costs plenty, obviously.

• Members

What's with the exasperation? You've read NUMEROUS articles, so it must be true? I've raised two kids through diapers, and if they took a {censored} a day, it was considered normal. Mightof been 5 ounces of turd, and disposables are really light. It doesn't take a math major to figure this out...it simply doesn't add up.

You've assumed I'm justifying disposables, but I'm NOT saying you shouldn't use cloth diapers. I think folks should do what works for them, unlike the treehuggers who think their way is the only way and feel the need to "educate" the rest of us. I'm just looking at the issue with an open mind and trying to consider all the points.

FYI, disposable diapers can be recycled.

I've come to the conclusion that until either of us weighs our kid's {censored}, waste and what not in a dirty diaper-every day for two years, I would go as far to say neither of us know what we are talking about. I'm not trying to sit here and say that my way is the only way. In the beginning I simply pointed out that from what I've read children go through 1-2 tons of dirty diapers by the time they are 2. Now we're arguing whether or not it's true.

I don't claim that everything I read is true, and if I did, I'd be an idiot. I haven't read an article that's disputed that claim, and I don't think that anyone would take that number out of their ass and insert it in an article for no apparent reason.

And, I'd be interested in reading more about recycling diapers. If you or someone you know has personally done it, I'd love to hear about it and get more info.

EDIT-and I apologize for the exasperation.

• Members

When I did a search for "recycling disposable diapers", this article came up.

http://mesh.medill.northwestern.edu/mnschicago/archives/2004/10/disposable_diap.html

First sentence in the article states "One child alone can produce approximately one ton of soiled disposable diapers by the time he or she is toilet-trained."

I should find out where they got their information (I'm not being sarcastic-I really want to know).

• CMS Author

When I did a search for "recycling disposable diapers", this article came up.

http://mesh.medill.northwestern.edu/mnschicago/archives/2004/10/disposable_diap.html

First sentence in the article states "One child alone can produce approximately one ton of soiled disposable diapers by the time he or she is toilet-trained."

I should find out where they got their information (I'm not being sarcastic-I really want to know).

Most kids are toilet-trained by age 3-4 years. One ton in that time makes a lot more sense.

Here's my first hit: http://www.knowaste.com/hdrw_components.html

• Members

FECES and PISS going into the water supply. Yucko.

This is why I'll never live in Nebraska. They get alot of their water from the Platte, which is precisely where Denver dumps all of its effluent and treated wastewater.
:idea:
At least we're the primary users of that water, I can live with that...

C7

And we argue with Wyoming over your {censored}ty water, too!:mad:

• Members

How much of these choices are made freely, as opposed to being forced upon us? I'd gladly work within a mile of my home. If only there was an employer who'll offer enough security for me to relocate nearby, or if (miracle of miracles) there was an employer near me. The reality is that I can't afford to live near potential employers.

I buy local food whenever possible...it's usually cheaper, I like to support my local economy, and produce is a LOT fresher. But the reality too is that there are no cattle ranches in eastern Pennsylvania, not a lot of grain is grown here...you get the idea. Transport of food and a lot of products is actually very efficient...no business wants to pay more than it has to to move goods to market, and energy costs plenty, obviously.

That's one of the reasons I don't want to leave Portland. I can get downtown in about 45 minutes by bicycle and my house (which would admittedly be a tight fit for someone with kids) was very, very affordably priced.

Archived