Kindness

Kindness

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:cool:

Awesome thread.

Any chance that I could bring the Daion along this weekend and get this done to it? It had a fairly poor refret at some point in its life, and there are a couple of spots on the neck that really give me trouble.

• Members

What about that block that you used to remove the sharp edges from my frets? I think that should be added to the tools list.

Also, if I go to the Home Depot and tell them I want a "lathe cut" file, will they know what I'm talking about?

After watching Kindness do this magic to my $29 bass, I'm confident that I can do it as well. I'm going to pick up the tools that I need and do this to a few of my basses in the future.

• Members

What about that block that you used to remove the sharp edges from my frets? I think that should be added to the tools list.

Also, if I go to the Home Depot and tell them I want a "lathe cut" file, will they know what I'm talking about?

After watching Kindness do this magic to my $29 bass, I'm confident that I can do it as well. I'm going to pick up the tools that I need and do this to a few of my basses in the future.

Wouldn't that be just a "lathe" file? I'd think they'd know what you'd be talking about.

Kindness, this is one kickass thread. :thu: Thanks for posting the info.

• Members

Although the thread is interesting, I won't do it myself.

I think my basses needed a grand total of 3 fret levellings in over 15 years of playing.

Local luthier asks 100 to do it, which is less than the price of the tools alone. And I know HE won't {censored} up. I can't say as much of me. :)

• Moderators

Actually the action on the Zipper is off, I'm wondering if a levelling will do the job or if I'm gonna have to refret.

I would bet that as much as you play (daily, between 5 mins and 5 hours if I remember correctly) you could use a leveling and crowning. It is highly unlikely that you need a full refret at this point. You can make a quick assessment by loosening one or more strings, pulling them to the side and seeing how deep the grooves are that you've worn into the frets. Unless they are almost all the way to the board, you can fix any issue with a leveling.

Archived