Randy Jackson Alchemy strings?

claypoolfan

• Members
$80!!! Are you {censored}ting me?!?!?!?! That's freaking insane!!! Is that for a 4 string set? I thought Elixir was expensive.

Thats what it say's the list price is in Bass Player. They have a stainless steel core a nickelplated underwrap and a gold overwrap. That price is for a 4 set but they make single 5th and 6th strings too.

• Moderators

Thats what it say's the list price is in Bass Player. They have a stainless steel core a nickelplated underwrap and a gold overwrap. That price is for a 4 set but they make single 5th and 6th strings too.

For me it would depend on how long a set of strings last. My guess is that the overwrap will show its wear fairly quickly and cleaning them will have little effect, whereas a regular set of nickel round wounds can last a long time depending upon your tonal preferences. I paid $45 for a set of 4 strings once. I learned my lesson, but I don't particularly care for the overly bright tone found on a fresh set of nickels anyway.

If you get them, though, post a review about their lasting quality. Inquiring minds want to know. :)

• Members

For me it would depend on how long a set of strings last. My guess is that the overwrap will show its wear fairly quickly and cleaning them will have little effect, whereas a regular set of nickel round wounds can last a long time depending upon your tonal preferences. I paid $45 for a set of 4 strings once. I learned my lesson, but I don't particularly care for the overly bright tone found on a fresh set of nickels anyway.

If you get them, though, post a review about their lasting quality. Inquiring minds want to know.
:)

That makes sense as gold can't be that durable.

I'll let you know if I cop a set though.

• Members

I think I remember hasbeen writing up a review of them here when they first came out, or maybe a little before. IIRC, he was impressed.

edit: here is the post by hasbeen:

yes....I really, really liked them a lot. Some might know that I'm a pretty die-hard DR player. I'd have no trouble though using these and I'm pretty "stuck in my ways" for what I want in a string.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I wonder how they compare to Optima (formerly Maxima) Gold strings. I like those, they're made in a wider range of gauges. I think they look great with gold hardware too. Pricey though, and hard to find.

+1. I had Maximas on my ol' Carvin BB75. They were very good strings. Sure, they were pricey, but I had them on for a long time.

• Members

I wonder how they compare to Optima (formerly Maxima) Gold strings. I like those, they're made in a wider range of gauges. I think they look great with gold hardware too. Pricey though, and hard to find.

ya know, Optimas are one set of strings I never got chance to try. On the Markley strings, the purple silk looks a little wierd with the gold. Also, the gold is much more yellow looking then the Maxima/Optima look.

They are a great sounding and feeling string though.

• Members

Interesting strings, definitely worth looking into, but marketing hype from Markley is a load. They make it sound like Alchemy strings were developed for bassist Randy Jackson when in fact Alchemy strings have already been available in a guitar version for a few years.

Archived