Vista

Anesthesia

• Members

I helped a friend install Reason on his vista laptop today, and I am glad I switched over to mac a couple of years ago. Vista was really annoying, shooting popups in my face all the time... "Are you REALLY sure you want to install software unsigned by microsoft?" etc... The UI looks fugly as well.

• Members

As a service tech for Comcast, a real tech, not a lousy contractor, I know when I go to a customers home to fix their computer, I cringe when I found out they have Vista. Most people don't like it, and I know alot of the techs don't care for it either. I'm not a big Apple fan either, but it may be because I am not that familiar with them.

• Members

My parents are going through this too. They just bought a new computer and were forced by the guy at Best Buy to install Vista on it even though my dad was pretty adament about wanting XP - apparently they can't sell new hard-drives with XP any more (I think the guy was taking advantage of my parents and their age). Now they can't do anything because Vista is so buggy. When I go visit them next I'm going to save all their documents and stuff on an external hard-drive and then reformat their computer and load them up with my copy of XP. If Microsoft wants to rip off people with their buggy new O/S, then I have no problem ripping Microsoft off in return by installing my registered (and overpriced) copy of XP on my parent's computer.

Jazz Ad - Normally I agree with you on, like, 98% of everything, but this time I've got to disagree. I don't care that it's a new O/S and therefore buggy. They shouldn't have released it to the public until they'd worked out all the kinks in the beta testing.

• Members

"Failure is not an option. It's included with every product from Microsoft."

:D

I remember when Vista first was released, and the boneheads from Microsoft were going on about it, I actually heard the quote "There's not a lot here that's new, but you will notice the bells and whistles..."

Well pardon F@#$%n me, but the last thing I want on my computer is more bells and whistles! I'm not afraid of a computer, and all that crap does is clutter up the system and slow it down. I don't want crap trying to "update" twice a day, I don't want everything in the world trying to self-install, and I don't want to have to fight harder to install things I want, or to stop things I don't want!

Bonoman, I don;t think the guy was yanking your parents' chain. As I understnad it, individual buyers can't get XP on a single machine anymore. Large scale buyers (buying 100's of computers) can still get them with XP, but I hear that Microsoft is mad that those clients are not ordering Vista, and may cut off the option to but XP soon. If I were one of those clients, I wouldn't update ANY Microsoft software if it comes to that.:mad:

• Members

Not hard at all.

Boot XP, Format HDD, install, done.

Vista isn't evil, it's just new. Which means buggy.

+1

And hardware manufacturers are still tweaking or just haven't released Vista drivers, which can account for a lot of problems. XP wasn't the best OS until SP1. I guess when you're making software for 90-some percent of the world's computers, you're bound to run into some unhappy people :)

However, I will agree that Vista is high on eye candy, but lacking on real features. The fact that you have to have a "good enough" computer to run an OS worries me.

Dustin

• Members

I'm on good terms with my ex-wife.

She was so happy and proud of herself because she just bought a new computer on her own and needed "a little help" installing the printer (HP printer/HP CPU with Vista).

It took me 45 minutes and two freeze/reboots to get it done.

I feel bad for her and the heartache she is about to endure...

:cry:

• Members

Bonoman, I don;t think the guy was yanking your parents' chain. As I understnad it, individual buyers can't get XP on a single machine anymore. Large scale buyers (buying 100's of computers) can still get them with XP, but I hear that Microsoft is mad that those clients are not ordering Vista, and may cut off the option to but XP soon. If I were one of those clients, I wouldn't update ANY Microsoft software if it comes to that.
:mad:

Yeah, I've got to say that 'pissing off your customers to the point where they'll be happy to walk away' really doesn't sound like the best business plan... Still, thanks for letting me know. I'll tell my parents they didn't get taken. At least they can find some solace in that, though they're going to have to wait at least until December before I can get down there to try to fix it for them... Oh well. They could always move back to Canada, too, if they really want it fixed.:)

• Members

I loaded Vista on a cow-orkers laptop as a test. It was fun to play with, and the brand new laptop had barely enough resources to run it, but it was just the interface that was "cool"... Once it came down to actual work and running programs my view went down hill quickly. Constant pop-ups about non-certified drivers, devices not responding, garbage - garbage - garbage...

But I thought the same thing about XP until it got enough patches to get stable, but it still was not as bad as Vista 1.0! :rolleyes:

• Members

She was so happy and proud of herself because she just bought a new computer on her own and needed "a little help" installing the printer (HP printer/HP CPU with Vista).

Try setting up a wireless printing over network with vista :eek::eek:

So far I have spent maybe 3 or 4 hours trying to make it work with no success ...

• Members

A couple of months ago, I tried to print out a document from my computer on a HP printer via WiFi. It automaticly came up in the list of available printers in the print-menu, and worked instantly. This was on a Mac though... :p

• Members

"Failure is not an option. It's included with every product from Microsoft."

:D

I remember when Vista first was released, and the boneheads from Microsoft were going on about it, I actually heard the quote "There's not a lot here that's new, but you will notice the bells and whistles..."

Well pardon F@#$%n me, but the last thing I want on my computer is more bells and whistles! I'm not afraid of a computer, and all that crap does is clutter up the system and slow it down. I don't want crap trying to "update" twice a day, I don't want everything in the world trying to self-install, and I don't want to have to fight harder to install things I want, or to stop things I don't want!

Bonoman, I don;t think the guy was yanking your parents' chain. As I understnad it, individual buyers can't get XP on a single machine anymore. Large scale buyers (buying 100's of computers) can still get them with XP, but I hear that Microsoft is mad that those clients are not ordering Vista, and may cut off the option to but XP soon. If I were one of those clients, I wouldn't update ANY Microsoft software if it comes to that.

Yup.

I could NOT buy a new desktop at a retail center with XP installed.

• Members

Jazz Ad - Normally I agree with you on, like, 98% of everything, but this time I've got to disagree. I don't care that it's a new O/S and therefore buggy. They shouldn't have released it to the public until they'd worked out all the kinks in the beta testing.

Sorry pal, I don't have the power to change the way computer industry works.

New software is always buggy. It's not a Microsoft thing. They're all the same.

If you don't want bugs, don't buy new software.

• Members

Sorry pal, I don't have the power to change the way computer industry works.

New software is always buggy. It's not a Microsoft thing. They're all the same.

If you don't want bugs, don't buy new software.

This stuff amuses and then irritates me. We've talked about this before but we had exactly the same kind of bitching when WinXP came out :mad:

With thousands of applications and literally millions of possible hardware combinations designing an OS is actually a pretty good trick. MS provides all the documentation hardware and software manufacturers need to make their stuff work with a shiny new OS, but most folks don't bother getting into the beta and making their stuff work.

Then you have users hollering that their stuff doesn't work with the shiny new OS and blaming the OS manufacturer, when the beta went on for more than a year, hardware and software folks are invited to join in on the thing and then when something breaks it doesn't dawn on anybody to blame the people who wrote the software or designed the hardware.

Apple gets around this by keeping tight control on hardware.

Linux doesn't get around it until somebody volunteers to write a driver for the hardware - wireless cards are a perfect example. Wireless in Linux sucks - they have workarounds like ndiswrapper so you can use Windows drivers on a Linux machine, but basically if the manufacturer doesn't care you don't get a driver until somebody buckles down and writes one.

In the Unix world they keep even tighter control over hardware than Apple does. Go down to Computers R US and buy a scanner and try to hook it up to something running HP-UX.

Bottom line? Manufacturers have had almost two years to get their {censored} together for Vista. If it doesn't work don't blame MS.

• Members

Is the devil.

How hard should it be to get rid of it and do a fresh install of XP? Not very you say? You would be WRONG.

The computer guy is coming back on Monday to sort this out at least....until then, vista it is

I learned this with Windows 98. I should have kept my 95 for a while before they worked out the problems. Windows 95 was stable but 98 was a real POS.

I have not and will not take the plunge to Vista. My XP is stable as {censored} and there is no reason, for me, to change it over. I really don't want the headaches. I can get it free through my wifes' place of employment but I won't touch it unti I hear the phrase 'Service Pack 2' all over the MS website. ;)

Archived