Dumbass question of the day!

Goofball Jones

• Members

I was asked this by a non-musician friend and honestly, I couldn't answer him.

You see guys when they set up their bass, they put it on their stands or against their amps backwards sometimes. Why do they or you do this?

Dunno the answer. Seen it done for 30 years. Never knew. Still don't. :freak:

• Members

if i'm leaning a bass against my amp, or against something else, i'll turn it backward in hopes of the rotating part of the tuning pegs catching on something to help hold it up.

if it's going in a stand, i don't see any reason for putting it in there backwards...

YMMV.

• Members

I was asked this by a non-musician friend and honestly, I couldn't answer him.

You see guys when they set up their bass, they put it on their stands or against their amps backwards sometimes. Why do they or you do this?

Dunno the answer. Seen it done for 30 years. Never knew. Still don't.
:freak:

No one really ever explained it to me... so I could be wrong.

But for one, I'd rather lean it against the strings than the back of the neck. I wouldn't want the back of the neck to get scratched or something.

Two, I would think since the strings are bowing the neck up... leaning it in the opposite direction would be less stressful on the neck. Ever seen a piece of wood that was leaning against a wall for too long? Yeah... it's no longer straight.

:confused:

I dunno...

• Members

I do it sometimes because the board is flatter than the neck, making it less likely that the bass will slip and fall -- strings and board provide more friction than the curved back of a neck. That's why I do it at least.

Same here, although I hate doing it. I need to buy one of those small guitar stands to set my bass into.

• Members

I do it sometimes because the board is flatter than the neck, making it less likely that the bass will slip and fall -- strings and board provide more friction than the curved back of a neck. That's why I do it at least.

That's why I'd do it this way if I didn't have a stand. If you balance the back of the neck against an amp (especially one covered in tolex), you have to position it just right or it will slide due to the curvature of the neck. The fretboard side is flatter so you don't have to balance it that way.

As for the feedback idea, all you have to do is turn the volume knob(s) all the down on your instrument to keep it from doing that.

• Members

if i'm leaning a bass against my amp, or against something else, i'll turn it backward in hopes of the rotating part of the tuning pegs catching on something to help hold it up.

if it's going in a stand, i don't see any reason for putting it in there backwards...

YMMV.

Yeah, the post of the G string tuning peg will usually rest in one of the recesses of my cab's front - keeping it from sliding off, and falling down... Usually, I have a couple of stands with me - but if not, that's what I do...

- georgestrings

• Members

My wife's guitar has one of those headstocks that tilts back. If I lean it up against something with the back away from the wall it's a little bit more stable.

If it's my bass there's probably a 50/50 chance I'll set it down either way, since I don't give a {censored} at all.

• Members

I set my bass back-side up, mostly because its easier to get dust off the back than from between the strings.

I can't believe I've never thought of that. I've got one bass that is usually on a stand and does get dusty. I've got to try this...thanks!

Yo.

• Members

Ideally I would stand it up with the strings facing outwards, as to me it isn't a good idea leaning it on the strings and pressing them into the frets. That way will stop feedback, but then again so does turning down the volume control ;)

ideally you need a wee corner or edge to prop it against though, so it can't slide off.

Really I would prefer to have a stand of some sort

David

• Members

Yeah, the post of the G string tuning peg will usually rest in one of the recesses of my cab's front - keeping it from sliding off, and falling down... Usually, I have a couple of stands with me - but if not, that's what I do...

- georgestrings

honestly, i can't be arsed to bring stands to gigs, so i'll either lean it against my amp strings-first, or lay it on it's back on top of my racks...

Archived