Laney jumps into the valve bass amp fray with a 400 watt behemoth

bikehorn

• Members

Ah, my first post in a while, I figured it was only appropriate that it should be regarding a non-solid-state bass amp.

anyway, here it is, the Laney Nexus 400:

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=nexus-tube

Looks serious. 400 watts from the usual 8x KT88s, speakon-only outputs, two footswitchable preamp channels(one tube and one solid state), slave input, graphic EQ, parametric midrange control and it weighs in at a cool 34 kilograms, also known as 75 lbs. I think aside from Marshall with the VBA400 these guys are the only ones presently producing a tube bass head in this power class. There's also a lookalike(Nexus FET) that sports the same preamp but has a 650 watt MOSFET power section.

• Members

thanks guys!

It's been alright, hating university(the educational part, anyway...) and verged on taking a year or two off till i got some sense slapped into me and changed majors. Spent a lot of time/money lately on audio gear and now I have a sweet collection of vinyl records(something like 120 records at last count, and like 2 CDs) and vintage audio gear. My collection of music gear has stagnated, I still haven't gotten to having the Bassman and the Univox checked out and repaired...not like it matters because even after moving 2 hours away from the ol' suburban wasteland I still haven't been able to get a decent band together, such that I would say I still haven't played a 'real gig' with a band I might call my own...I mean jeez, all I want to do is play a few sloppy drunken 70's rock covers at parties or whatever, surely a few other people near me would want to do something like that. Stood in here and there on guitar for a friend's band, but that was it. My frustration has led me to start accumulating analog recording gear, next major acquisition is hopefully going to be a Fostex reel to reel 8 track deck.

Also working on building a pair of Karlson speakers which I expect to be finished in the next few days, a small Class D power amp from a kit to power them, and a damping/isolation platform for my to protect my turntable from vibrations. No tube audio yet, unfortunately. Too expensive, although maybe if I get a decent paying job next summer I can build a phono preamp.

So what's new around here?

• Members

Tbroom got himself a toob univox too...I think it's still being sorted out.

Shoot, there's a bit of everything or nothing going on depending on your perspective. A few babies born, gear sold and bought, bands quit and joined. BOALG comes in and enlightens us from time to time.

The usual. ;)

• Members

Tbroom got himself a toob univox too...I think it's still being sorted out.

Yeah, I came across that thread...the one he picked up is actually the model I wanted all along, the U-1511. 150 watts, 4x 6550's. I read somewhere that grounding the chassis is unnecessary because the chassis is double insulated - can't say for sure and I'm generally a fan of grounding things so I'd likely do it anyway. Unfortunately the preamp on these amps seems tailored to guitars, what with reverb and tremolo, but I'm sure it sounds nice...

I also don't think the Laney is that ugly. It's no Orange, but I've seen worse.

• Moderators

Yeah, I came across that thread...the one he picked up is actually the model I wanted all along, the U-1511. 150 watts, 4x 6550's. I read somewhere that grounding the chassis is unnecessary because the chassis is double insulated - can't say for sure and I'm generally a fan of grounding things so I'd likely do it anyway. Unfortunately the preamp on these amps seems tailored to guitars, what with reverb and tremolo, but I'm sure it sounds nice...

I also don't think the Laney is that ugly. It's no Orange, but I've seen worse.

Tbroom's is actually a bass amp that uses the same power section as the 1511. As soon as I get the chassis modded for the new cap can, it'll be up and running. :)

• Members

Tbroom's is actually a bass amp that uses the same power section as the 1511. As soon as I get the chassis modded for the new cap can, it'll be up and running.
:)

Ah, an even rarer beast then. Damn, he really lucked out. What condition were the tubes it came with in? Mine came with an arsenal of Mullard preamp tubes and four Sylvania 6L6s :love:...I think I'm saving these tubes for an audio project though and probably putting some new tubes in the Univox, when I get around to having it and the Fender recapped.

• Moderators

Ah, an even rarer beast then. Damn, he really lucked out. What condition were the tubes it came with in? Mine came with an arsenal of Mullard preamp tubes and four Sylvania 6L6s
:love:
...I think I'm saving these tubes for an audio project though and probably putting some new tubes in the Univox, when I get around to having it and the Fender recapped.

The power tubes were unmatched GEs, an RCA and something I forget. The preamp tubes are originals.

Archived