Univox Head Debut

Thunderbroom

• Members

I played my '69 Univox 1561 last night at our outdoor fest gig. Since my lead guitarist played at a sensible level, I was able to hear myself decently. I don't think I'll gig with it regularly, but did like playing through it last night. After talking with the soundman, he cautioned against running the EWI Active DI that I have between the head and cab. He has a Conquest (it's the exact same box with a different label...hmmm...learn something new everyday). So, I ran it before the head. Interestingly enough, he said he preferred the EWI DI to the DI on both of my GB heads. He said it sounded "warmer".

Here's a lame pic that I took between sets:

univoxdebut01a.jpg

We're playing another fest this afternoon. I'll be using the Neopak/212 this time around. I may even run with the X2 wireless for fun!

• Members

They ran out of MGD. I drank it but didn't enjoy it. They had Heineken, but I don't like it.

That's it, I hereby recind your right to post in all the good beer threads from this point on.:mad:

You'd think an HCBF mod would know better!;)

• Members

That's it, I hereby recind your right to post in all the good beer threads from this point on.
:mad:

You'd think an HCBF mod would know better!
;)

I don't know where your band plays, but getting uppity beer where we play is a rarity.

:D

The fest we're playing today is sponored by Bud.

:(

• Members

*Sigh if relief*

I was kind of scared to open this therad in fear I was going to see a beautiful vintage Vox Ravaged and mutulated with multi colored duct tape

I am proud of you TB :thu: oh BTW you could get a lot louder volume out of that amp with more speakerage;)

• Moderators
. . . . .After talking with the soundman, he cautioned against running the EWI Active DI that I have between the head and cab. . . .

So Audiopile, who not only represents EWI products here but is also a soundman, says that's what the -30 dB is for, but the sound guy yesterday recommended against it?

• Moderators

So Audiopile, who not only represents EWI products here but is also a soundman, says that's what the -30 dB is for, but the sound guy yesterday recommended against it?

I don't blame a sound guy for not wanting to experiment with equipment he's not familiar with on a gig. If there was time before or after the gig to run a test though...

• Moderators
I don't blame a sound guy for not wanting to experiment with equipment he's not familiar with on a gig. If there was time before or after the gig to run a test though...

I didn't get the impression he wasn't familiar with it, since the original post suggests he recommended against it. :)

• Members

Yes.

Audiopile's EWI stuff is not "his" stuff. It's all manufactured overseas and rebranded (something I did not know). My soundguy pulled out a Conquest Active DI and it is EXACTLY the same as Mark's stuff. This is not a dis of Mark's stuff as my soundguy swears by his Conquest stuff. Since he recommended against it, I followed his advice.

• Moderators
Yes.

Audiopile's EWI stuff is not "his" stuff. It's all manufactured overseas and rebranded (something I did not know). My soundguy pulled out a Conquest Active DI and it is EXACTLY the same as Mark's stuff. This is not a dis of Mark's stuff as my soundguy swears by his Conquest stuff. Since he recommended against it, I followed his advice.

I know how the manufacture and importing process works. Don't you think Mark would know about the stuff he sells? This sound man didn't recommend it. He must've had a reason. Whether it was valid or not, what was it?

• Members

I know how the manufacture and importing process works. Don't you think Mark would know about the stuff he sells? This sound man didn't recommend it. He must've had a reason. Whether it was valid or not, what was it?

I'm sure Mark know his stuff. I don't know what our soundguy's reason for not wanting to run it between the amp and cab. I didn't engage him in a conversation about it. He recommended against it. I said okay. I set it up pre-head and rocked the night away. No one in attendance would have known the difference anyway.

• Members

nice little setup. how would you describe the sound?

I love the cow-spotted grillecloth on the guitarist's 4x10 bassman.

It is very clean and phat. It will not overdrive by just cranking it up. My lead guitarist really liked the sound of it.

And speaking of my LG, he also put that cow fur on his tele pickguard.

:cool: or :eek: - you decide.

Archived