boiling ribs before throwing them on the grill

Psilocybin

• Members

I only boil country-style ribs, you know, the big huge ones, and when I do, it's only for about 4 minutes, and it's not in plain water, I put in apple cider vinegar and sea salt. Then I grill with BBQ sauce on top of lemon slices. Bitches.:D

Baby back ribs and spare ribs aren't so thick that they won't cook thoroughly. I think that's what Psilo was talking about, because when we buy country ribs and try to straight grill them, it takes 90 minutes on high to get them to cook all the way through, and we can all see why that's a problem.:D
C7

• Members

I've had brined** BBQ ribs that were moist, but never boiled then BBQd. All you get is tasteless meat as a sauce vehicle if you boil 'em.

So I see a number of people are very ANTI doing this. I've had pre boiled (not cooking until done) ribs numerous times that were not tough and tasted great.

**I'm not a big fan of brining either, as it infuses too much salt into the meat and the moisture is content-less.

• Moderators
Boil strings, hell boil the whole damn bass.

But don't boil meat.

I was going to suggest boiling the meat and the bass strings in the same pot. That way the meat is already seasoned before it goes on the grill and aside from being time efficient, it's environmentally friendly.

• Members

Boiling meat. Yuck.

I've seen so many people waste perfectly good meat doing this.

It should be banned IMHO.

It's not boiling, it's called par boiling. I do it with chicken all the time. The purpose is to cook the food inside and it works to tenderize the meat.

I never done this with ribs, it shouldn't be necessary because they are thinner cuts. However, if I did par boil them it would be just for a minute or two once the water reached boiling point.

• Members

How long should I boil them for?

I do my ribs by boiling them for an hour. Then throw 'em on the grill, slather 'em with BBQ sauce of choice and cook on each side for a few minutes to add a little crunch. Probably 10 minutes on the grill total. They are fall-off-the-bone delicious.

[edit]

Hmmm, guess I should've read the rest of the thread. Seems most people are against this. Still, the ribs I make melt in your mouth and no one who's tried them has had a bad word to say about them.

• Members

I'd rather make a dry rub cast of brown sugar, chili powder, garlic, salt, black pepper, and a dash of ground mustard over low indirect heat than any other way of cooking ribs. Pork, beef, doesn't matter.

Doesn't even need sauce. The juices from the meat work into the brown sugar covering and *wow*.

I'm hungry now.

• Members

How long should I boil them for?

If you really must do it, only boil it for a few minutes.

See Hawkhuff's parboiling comment. HOWEVER, you should really only do this for institutional sized feeding operations where the volume of customers expected makes it not only practical but almost a given.

• Members

Moistness comes from properly mopping. If you're lucky and skillful, you can do a drip pan full of beer (or wine or your fave mop) and manage to keep the ash out of it; it will steam into the smoking grill AND it will catch the drippings for recirculation into the mop!

I'm gonna smoke a turkey and 2 racks of ribs next week. It was already scheduled, but I'm starting to salivate thinking on it :D

• Members

I've had
brined
** BBQ ribs that were moist, but never boiled then BBQd. All you get is tasteless meat as a sauce vehicle if you boil 'em.

**I'm not a big fan of brining either, as it infuses too much salt into the meat and the moisture is content-less.

Brining meat may taste saltier, but it actually makes it retain more moisture.

Brines

Brines are salty solutions in which lean meats soak. Brines help meats retain moisture, so they stay juicy and tender during grilling. Brining is a popular method for preparing poultry, particularly turkey. It can be a fail-safe method for grilling lean meats, like pork, that tend to dry out on the grill. Sugar, spices, and herbs are sometimes added to the liquid as well.

Soak meats in a container large enough to submerge the meat completely without allowing it to float in the solution. Store in the refrigerator. Before grilling, rinse brined meat to remove excess salt and dry it with paper towels. Some people dislike the salty flavor of brined meats, so it's not a method that works for everyone.

Why Doesn't the Salt in Brine Dry Out Meat?

Q. Can you please explain to me why when you add salt to food it draws the moisture out, yet when you brine something in salt it causes the food to hold or retain the moisture.

A. Great question

• Members

Other than when making soups or stews, the only meat I boil is frozen chicken wings. I get the water boiling, dump in the frozen wings, boil them for awhile until their cooked, then crisp them up on the grill. Afterwards, dump on hot sauce mixed with a little honey. A quick and easy way to make hot wings.

It's better with fresh, non-boiled wings; however you can buy big bags of frozen wings for cheap, and keep them for awhile in the freezer.

I imagine the same method could be used for ribs.

Never boil a steak!

• Members

It's not boiling, it's called par boiling. I do it with chicken all the time. The purpose is to cook the food inside and it works to tenderize the meat.

I never done this with ribs, it shouldn't be necessary because they are thinner cuts. However, if I did par boil them it would be just for a minute or two once the water reached boiling point.

And the only thing you should ever par boil is veggies.

Instead of 'par boiling' meats, try this (restaurant trick) method

1. sear it on a hot grill (caramelize to seal juices, give it flavor/color)

2. remove, wrap in foil (with sauce if desired)

3. bake in low, 250'ish deg oven for an hour or two (depending on amount/type of meat).

Done this way brisket/ribs/chicken is falling off the bone tender, have that good grilled look/flavor and it doesn't take 6-8-10 hours in a pit.

Archived