OT:Anyone read Chronicles of Thomas Covenent, The Unbeliever ?

ToeJamFootball

• Members

Holy {censored}! Yes, by chance I picked up that same book at a discount book store a few weeks ago. I am hooked!

So this is a series of three more books post mortem Mr. Covenant...?

I should of course probably read the original three but they are kind of sort of like a little bit (get to the point!) not that easy to find.

With you having read the original three and now finished book 4 of 6, do you trhink I'm OK just jumping in at Book 4?

I love it!:thu:

• Members

Holy {censored}! Yes, by chance I picked up that same book at a discount book store a few weeks ago. I am hooked!

So this is a series of three more books post mortem Mr. Covenant...?

I should of course probably read the original three but they are kind of sort of like a little bit (get to the point!) not that easy to find.

With you having read the original three and now finished book 4 of 6, do you trhink I'm OK just jumping in at Book 4?

I love it!
:thu:

No, TC is still around in books 4-6. I think book 8 is due out soon?

• Members

No, TC is still around in books 4-6. I think book 8 is due out soon?

:confused:confused:confused:

I am reading the one where TC's son comes in and tries to take his mom out of the nursing home (great scene).

What book is this, and you say TC is still alive in this book?

• Members

This Sci- fi? I'll have to check them out!

Fantasy. Magic, monsters, and all that. Pretty good, I stumbled on Book 7 recently and though I haven't read 1-6 since they were new I didn't feel lost or confused, unlike some other fantasy series that get bogged down in confusing subplots and hard to remember names. The series is a pretty good read, though the hero isn't the most likeable guy he does get a bit better as you go.

• Members

Awesome, a book thread! We need more of these! Tell me more about this series, what's the basic theme? Is it possible to reveal that without spoiling anything for me like Lug did? I could use something new to read while I wait patiently for the next "A Song of Ice and Fire" book to come out.

• Members

Fantasy. Magic, monsters, and all that. Pretty good, I stumbled on Book 7 recently and though I haven't read 1-6 since they were new I didn't feel lost or confused, unlike some other fantasy series that get bogged down in confusing subplots and hard to remember names. The series is a pretty good read, though the hero isn't the most likeable guy he does get a bit better as you go.

I tend to prefer Aliens, Demon possession, Vampires and Axe murderers in my literature, but enough of you suggest it that I'll take a look.

• Members

I tend to prefer Aliens, Demon possession, Vampires and Axe murderers in my literature, but enough of you suggest it that I'll take a look.

Well, there is demon possession, or its equivalent. The Big Bad's Little Bads are 3 disembodied evil spirit thingies.

• Members

Awesome, a book thread! We need more of these! Tell me more about this series, what's the basic theme? Is it possible to reveal that without spoiling anything for me like Lug did? I could use something new to read while I wait patiently for the next "A Song of Ice and Fire" book to come out.

Trying to be vague and spoiler free.

It's about this cranky leper who finds himself transported to this fantastical world. In the first trilogy, he's convinced he's just unconscious and dreaming, so he is dubbed "The Unbeliever." There's your basic Dark Lord figure, some good people fighting him, and the world hanging in the balance. There are some non humans, both good and bad, but mostly it's the struggle of the humans vs the evil nasties. No elves or dwarves, it isn't a Tolkien copy but some elements seem slightly familiar. Overall the world and the characters are fairly interesting, as is the story. The hero's white gold wedding ring has mighty but hard to control magic power which the Big Bad wants to use to destroy the world but could also be the one hope of defeating him.

• Members

Actually, my spoiler happens in the beginning of the first book so as a spoiler, it's pretty weak. :D BTW, A Song of F and I is thw best series in at least 20 years! :thu: This is not just Lug's opinion...IT'S FACT! :mad:

• Members

Fantasy? Interest plummeted.

It's odd, I'll play video games with magic, monsters, and all that {censored} for hours on end every day. I couldn't bother to bring myself to read any of it, though. I'd much rather read some hard sci-fi. Come to think of it, I doubt I could bother to read much soft (fantasy) sci-fi either (ie. Star Wars). Watching the stuff, playing video games of the stuff. Sure. Books? Meh.

• Moderators

Unbeliever I've just start the first book in the second series, Wounded Land.

I loved the first three, anyone else read and like them?

The First Chronicles comprise a fantasy classic. I didn't care for the Second Chronicles all that much.

• Moderators

Sounds like book 7 - 'The Runes Of The Earth', the first book of the Last Chronicles.

I bought that for my wife. She said she struggled through about half of, it, then gave up. She wasn't having any fun, and reading for pleasure should be pleasurable.

• Members

Yeah, fun Donaldson's books very much aren't. At least, not in the light entertainment side. Even the most innocent seeming series (the ones about mirror magic---A Man Rides Through I think is the second one) has some pretty creepy stuff, if you think about it for a bit.

He also wrote a five part sci-fi series that is as hard sci-fi as you can get. There is the best battle-in-space chapter I've ever read, hands down. Still, be warned that those are some seriously dark characters...

• Moderators

Yeah, fun Donaldson's books very much aren't. At least, not in the light entertainment side. Even the most innocent seeming series (the ones about mirror magic---A Man Rides Through I think is the second one) has some pretty creepy stuff, if you think about it for a bit.

He also wrote a five part sci-fi series that is as hard sci-fi as you can get. There is the best battle-in-space chapter I've ever read, hands down. Still, be warned that those are some seriously dark characters...

Perhaps I wasn't clear. It wasn't the content that she didn't care for. It was the writing style. Page after page of nothing happening. dark characters don't bother her in the slightest. She's a huge Stephen King fan.

Archived