OT:Anyone read Chronicles of Thomas Covenent, The Unbeliever ?

ToeJamFootball

• Members

The first three are pretty good, the second three okay.

IMHO, the best sci-fi/fantasy is

#1 anything by Edgar Allan Poe. Without #1, there'd be no #2.

#2 original Robert E. Howard Conan. So many writers copied the "let's explore this time's/world's cultural geography (and find meaningful parallels to ours)," but nobody can touch Howard. Without #2, there'd be no #3.

#3 Michael Moorcock's Corum saga: The Swords Trilogy, aka The Coming of Chaos. This was the subject of my senior-exit-lecture on Mathematical Literature. I've also done some storyboard/ author-contact work on this, so maybe it'll get made into a film after Moorcock's Elric movie hits the screen. And without #3, there'd be no #4.

#4 Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series. Death, Nature, War, Time, and Fate (and later, God and the Devil--but those are rushed), are "offices" that humans can be hired into--until killed by a rival....

So there you have the novelist equivalents of George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, M. Night Shyamalan, and Peter Jackson.

(BTW, I also have some killer DC Comics FS/FT in my sig-link. :thu:)

• Members

Wow. Somebody else who's read Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series. I thought I was the only one. :D I enjoyed his Xanth novels when I was younger, as well as his Phaze series. And the Bio of a Space Tyrant series made quite an impression ... I think I was a bit too young when I read that the first time.

The Thomas Covenant novels are fantastic. He's one of the best (possibly THE best) heroes in any book I've ever read, because he isn't a hero at all.

I recently read the Lensman series by E.E. "Doc" Smith, and I highly recommend them to sci-fi fans. They were written in the 1930's, and they're very entertaining. Smith was obviously a huge influence on Robert Heinlein's writing style. And it's absolutely fascinating to read what a man from the 30's could dream up for a futuristic intergalactic society. Little details like engineers on a spaceship carrying slide rules, or mentioning the use of vacuum tubes in space travel... :) A great read if you're in the mood for a great yarn without worrying about the math behind the spaceships.

If you're in a fantasy mood, check out Raymond Feist's "Magician," which is actually split into two parts - "Magician: Apprentice" and "Magician: Master." It's the first book in the Riftwar Saga. It isn't the most well-written book. The plot doesn't have very many twists. But the characters are memorable, and the story is absolutely a classic - war and magic on an interdimensional scale, with the fate of two worlds hanging on the actions of two boys raised in the kitchen of a frontier castle. It's just a great story.

Now, if you want plot twists, you want George R. R. Martin's "A Song of ice and Fire." (or is it Fire and Ice? Whatever). By the end of the first chapter it's very clear who the hero is ... oh, wait, nevermind. THIS is the hero. Wait, no, whoops. Wrong again. Well then, it MUST be this one. Oh dear, I'm afraid not. There are so many plot twists that I'm afraid he'll write himself into a strained back or a pulled hamstring. This is epic fantasy on a scale seldom seen, with a gritty and dark feel. Political intrigue is tearing a kingdom apart. Spoiled by a long summer (several YEARS long) the nobles of the southlands have forgotten the harsh winter to come. And now, as the kingdom is torn by war and strife, the exiled heir to the mad king's throne is raising a foreign army to invade. But none of this may matter in the long run, because the long winter night is coming, and in the far north beyond the wall, the Others are stirring. When the dead rise to kill, the politics of the south may come to naught.

Anyway, that's just some things I've enjoyed lately. :)

• Members
Wow. Somebody else who's read Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series. I thought I was the only one.
:D
I enjoyed his Xanth novels when I was younger, as well as his Phaze series. And the Bio of a Space Tyrant series made quite an impression ... I think I was a bit too young when I read that the first time.

The Thomas Covenant novels are fantastic. He's one of the best (possibly THE best) heroes in any book I've ever read, because he isn't a hero at all.

I recently read the Lensman series by E.E. "Doc" Smith, and I highly recommend them to sci-fi fans. They were written in the 1930's, and they're very entertaining. Smith was obviously a huge influence on Robert Heinlein's writing style. And it's absolutely fascinating to read what a man from the 30's could dream up for a futuristic intergalactic society. Little details like engineers on a spaceship carrying slide rules, or mentioning the use of vacuum tubes in space travel...
:)
A great read if you're in the mood for a great yarn without worrying about the math behind the spaceships.

If you're in a fantasy mood, check out Raymond Feist's "Magician," which is actually split into two parts - "Magician: Apprentice" and "Magician: Master." It's the first book in the Riftwar Saga. It isn't the most well-written book. The plot doesn't have very many twists. But the characters are memorable, and the story is absolutely a classic - war and magic on an interdimensional scale, with the fate of two worlds hanging on the actions of two boys raised in the kitchen of a frontier castle. It's just a great story.

Now, if you want plot twists, you want George R. R. Martin's "A Song of ice and Fire." (or is it Fire and Ice? Whatever). By the end of the first chapter it's very clear who the hero is ... oh, wait, nevermind. THIS is the hero. Wait, no, whoops. Wrong again. Well then, it MUST be this one. Oh dear, I'm afraid not. There are so many plot twists that I'm afraid he'll write himself into a strained back or a pulled hamstring. This is epic fantasy on a scale seldom seen, with a gritty and dark feel. Political intrigue is tearing a kingdom apart. Spoiled by a long summer (several YEARS long) the nobles of the southlands have forgotten the harsh winter to come. And now, as the kingdom is torn by war and strife, the exiled heir to the mad king's throne is raising a foreign army to invade. But none of this may matter in the long run, because the long winter night is coming, and in the far north beyond the wall, the Others are stirring. When the dead rise to kill, the politics of the south may come to naught.

Anyway, that's just some things I've enjoyed lately.

You are the fourth person to recommend the Magician books, I'll have to check them out now!

• Members

Holy {censored}! Yes, by chance I picked up that same book at a discount book store a few weeks ago. I am hooked!

So this is a series of three more books post mortem Mr. Covenant...?

I should of course probably read the original three but they are kind of sort of like a little bit (get to the point!) not that easy to find.

With you having read the original three and now finished book 4 of 6, do you trhink I'm OK just jumping in at Book 4?

I love it!
:thu:

Not really man, you shouldn't have any trouble, look at all the results just on Ebay Australia.

http://search.ebay.com.au/stephen-donaldson_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQpqryZstephanQ20donaldson

You could just jump in I guess, but it wouldn't be as fun. The first three are amazing.

• Members

Wow. Somebody else who's read Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series. I thought I was the only one.
I enjoyed his Xanth novels when I was younger, as well as his Phaze series. And the Bio of a Space Tyrant series made quite an impression ... I think I was a bit too young when I read that the first time.

I recently read the Lensman series by E.E. "Doc" Smith, and I highly recommend them to sci-fi fans. They were written in the 1930's, and they're very entertaining. Smith was obviously a huge influence on Robert Heinlein's writing style. And it's absolutely fascinating to read what a man from the 30's could dream up for a futuristic intergalactic society. Little details like engineers on a spaceship carrying slide rules, or mentioning the use of vacuum tubes in space travel...
A great read if you're in the mood for a great yarn without worrying about the math behind the spaceships.

Anyway, that's just some things I've enjoyed lately.

piers-anthony.gif

I've only read a little bit of PA and it was back in High school. I didn't know he wrote anything other than "Xanth" novels to be honest.

• Members

Actually, my spoiler happens in the beginning of the first book so as a spoiler, it's pretty weak.
BTW, A Song of F and I is thw best series in at least 20 years!
:thu:
This is not just Lug's opinion...IT'S FACT!
:mad:

huh, something you say that i agree with... when the hell is a dance with dragons coming out, damn it.

raymond feist's riftwar (magician:aprentice/master) is a really solid series.

rather than go into details, heres my list:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/344970

reviews of all the donaldson books i've read.

• Members

huh, something you say that i agree with... when the hell is a dance with dragons coming out, damn it.

raymond feist's riftwar (magician:aprentice/master) is a really solid series.

rather than go into details, heres my list:

reviews of all the donaldson books i've read.

You've probably read the Farseer seiries by Hobbs. She also has one called the Liveship Traders series that is most excellent if you haven't read it yet.

• Members

You've probably read the Farseer seiries by Hobbs. She also has one called the Liveship Traders series that is most excellent if you haven't read it yet.

She also has a trilogy after the Liveship Traders that ties together the two previous trilogies. :) The Tawny Man, I think it is. The return of FitzChivalry Farseer! As much as I liked the first trilogy, I HATED the ending, so I was very glad to see a return to those characters in the third trilogy.

If you want a ripping good sci-fi yarn, check out "With the Lightnings" by David Drake. Lt. Daniel Leary is a young officer in the RCN, and a gentleman from a powerful family on the aristocratic world of Cinnabar. But right now he isn't ON Cinnabar. Instead he's caught up in an Alliance invasion of another planet, and the daughter of an old enemy of his family may be his only chance for survival. Adele Mundy is an especially fascinating character, and while the series tends to focus on Leary, it's quite obvious that without her help he'd go nowhere fast. Not a ton of hard science, but a very entertaining story.

If you want science, then you want "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Dave Stern. Mankind just made contact with its first-ever intelligent alien species. Things might not be quite what they appear, though... One of the best first-contact novels ever written. The follow-up novel, "The Gripping Hand," is also very good.

• Members

hm... nope. or atleast, not yet.

and david drake is a hack. a really good hack, but one none the less. the lord of the isles series was really good.

hell, his bibliography is like 10 pages long... http://david-drake.com/bibliography.html

niven and pournelle are really good hard sci fi writers. pournelle is kind of a facist in his solo stuff. but together they do good stuff.

frederick pohl's gateway is a classic.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I just finished up "A Canticle for Leibowitz" a few months ago. There's a heartwarming little tale for ya. :rolleyes: Great read though. I'm rereading for a millionth time "The Chronicles of Morgaine" by C.J. Cherryh. She has to be my all-time favorite writer because of this series. The Chronicles is the first three books, usually found in one binding. There is a fourth book that you won't want to miss out on as well.

• Members

I've been making my way through the "Dune" books lately. If you like sci-fi, you should really read these. :) I'm on book 5 now, Heretics of Dune. I believe Frank Herbert wrote six originally, and then his son started writing other books after that (some of which are prequels to the original book). I'm not too sure about those, but the first six are fascinating to read.

• Members

Heinlein is real hit-or-miss with me. I loved "Friday" and thought "The Puppet Masters" was great. But I thought "Stranger in a Strange Land" was one of the worst books I've ever read. "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" was also terrible. Sometimes he gets so caught up with trying to get a point across that the story suffers.

If you're a fantasy fan and have never made it through Tolkein's "The Silmarillion" you owe it to yourself to give it a try. :) This is basically the Bible of Middle Earth, starting with the creation of the world and covering uncounted years of history. Lots of the names referenced in Lord of the Rings are explained here. You find out where Sauron comes from, and why Aragorn and the Rangers figure so prominently in his downfall. Some of Tolkein's best writing is buried in this book.

Don't get me wrong - the first few chapters are horribly boring. It's like reading some of the Old Testament books. You just get lost in the "begats". ;) But once you get past that and the Elves show up, it's all war and blood and battle, counterpointed by some lovely stories of heroism and love. The story of Beren and Luthien, for example, is just classic fantasy writing.

If you're in the mood for something a little simpler, when I was younger I loved the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. The Disney movie "The Black Cauldron" was based on the second book in this series of the same name. This is the story of Taran, a young man with the lofty title of Assistant Pig-Keeper who is somehow at the center of a great destiny. I still get these books out sometimes when I'm in the mood for something light-hearted and fun. They're quick reads and highly entertaining.

Archived