John Entwistle would be 63 today.

Fishyfan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True, though some geniuses never touched drugs...Zappa comes to mind.

Oh, and happy birthday Ox. We miss you.

LOL

LOL

ZAPPA

LOL

LOL

*guitar solo while smoking a joint*

LOL

EDIT: Also, if I recall with accuracy, he was a big and open proprietor of psychedelic drugs.

John is a big musical inspiration to me, but his technique was wonky a lot of the time. :p

Hope he's having fun in Helleaven .

• Members

LOL

LOL

ZAPPA

LOL

LOL

*guitar solo while smoking a joint*

LOL

EDIT: Also, if I recall with accuracy, he was a big and open proprietor of psychedelic drugs.

John is a big musical inspiration to me, but his technique was wonky a lot of the time.
:p

Hope he's having fun in Helleaven .

This isn't true...at all. Zappa did not take drugs or drink alcohol and had campaigned against drug-taking since the 1960s. He also didn't permit his band members to take drugs on the road. Actually it's really well known about this so I don't know where you're getting your information from.

He did smoke cigarettes and drink tons of coffee though.

Hell, just Google "zappa drugs" and see for yourself. From Wikipedia: "Although many assumed that he, like many musicians, used drugs, Zappa strongly opposed recreational drug use." Which is cited as being from a biography: Miles, Barry (2004). Frank Zappa. London: Atlantic Books, pp. 113-122.

But hey, believe what you want.

• Members

This isn't true...at all. Zappa did not take drugs or drink alcohol and had campaigned against drug-taking since the 1960s. He also didn't permit his band members to take drugs on the road. Actually it's really well known about this so I don't know where you're getting your information from.

He did smoke cigarettes and drink tons of coffee though.

Hell, just Google "zappa drugs" and see for yourself. From Wikipedia: "Although many assumed that he, like many musicians, used drugs, Zappa strongly opposed recreational drug use." Which is cited as being from a biography: Miles, Barry (2004). Frank Zappa. London: Atlantic Books, pp. 113-122.

But hey, believe what you want.

a lecturer at my old college gave a 2 hour speech about how much zappa hated drugs and spoke out against them..

i think he quoted zappa as saying something like he smoked so much, cigarettes became like a major food for him.

good dude... and hooked on coffee

i can relate to that

but yeah, john entwistle..

amazing

serious g.a.s

• Members

but the worst is booze

There's another facit to this. Enjoy life in moderation. One doesn't ALWAYS need to act like a drunken sailor on shore leave after 120 months. Problem is, many do.

That is of course unless you don't intend to live to 40.

By the way, I recall the first time I heard "Live at Leed's". I nearly {censored} myself. What a great bassist/musician. :cool:

• Members

The music biz is a killer , and the CEO's just handed them whatever they want . How can you expect to release a killer album with a mountain of cocaine on the mixer and a bandana soaked in LCD with a drop in each eye and a hand full of reds and whites , but they did it . It is no wonder many didn't live to see 30 and the ones left , it will catch them , as Carlos Castaneda says death is always sitting to your left .

• Members

but the worst is booze

You've got that right- nothing worse than being addicted to demon alcohol.

Think Lindsey Lohan will go to an AA mtg. every day for the next 90 days (90 in 90)? And then stay with it for the rest of her life?

God I loved John E.'s sound, and the speed he could play! He died way too young and yes he did die of a drug overdose.

• Members

I'm not so sure about personal demons inspiring genius. Maybe the demons are part and parcel of some people's genius. FWIW I've just come to hate the whole rock n' roll excess BS, and I got particularly pissed off when Entwistle kicked.

Musical geniuses who didn't or don't indulge? Besides Zappa, you can list Jeff Beck, Larry Graham, David Lindley, Clifford Brown, Albert King, Prince .... etc.

• Members

I'm not so sure about personal demons
inspiring
genius. Maybe the demons are part and parcel of
some
people's genius. FWIW I've just come to hate the whole rock n' roll excess BS, and I got particularly pissed off when Entwistle kicked.

Musical geniuses who didn't or don't indulge? Besides Zappa, you can list Jeff Beck, Larry Graham, David Lindley, Clifford Brown, Albert King, Prince .... etc.

wasn't just the rockers , those jazz'ers started it .

Archived