So that Al Gore guy...

Captain Fathead

• Members

...just one a Nobel peace prize :eek:

http://nobelpeaceprize.org/eng_lau_announce2007.html

THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE FOR 2007

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2007 is to be shared, in two equal parts, between the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr. for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change.

Indications of changes in the earth

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just goes to show, just like an olympic medal, it doesn't mean squat anymore.

When self-proclaimed celebrities start winning these awards as opposed to people who actually accomplish something besides a one-sided, faulty, and misleading and disingenuous "movie", it's pretty much worthless. :)

• Members

I just hope it's widely acknowledged he got the award for being a spokesperson, not for being a scientist. I like the idea he's speaking up. But as so many of us on here feel, I believe the science and evidence is miserably flawed and woefully insufficient.

I heard a clip of it on the radio today, his address, talking about the "majority of all worldwide scientists and the consensus of the scientific community say that humans are the cause of global warming and we should stop it", or something to that effect.

Pretty silly. :)

• Members

Just goes to show, just like an olympic medal, it doesn't mean squat anymore.

When self-proclaimed celebrities start winning these awards as opposed to people who actually accomplish something besides a one-sided, faulty, and misleading and disingenuous "movie", it's pretty much worthless.
:)

I figure the Peace Prize committee is more qualified than me to determine what deserves the award. I always here people call the film misleading, but hey. It raised awareness. There was a screening of it before I graduated from college, and most of the environmental science professors were in agreement with most of the points in it.

• Members

I figure the Peace Prize committee is more qualified than me to determine what deserves the award. I always here people call the film misleading, but hey. It raised awareness. There was a screening of it before I graduated from college, and most of the environmental science professors were in agreement with most of the points in it.

It didn't raise awareness to me, b/c it's not real. There's no such thing as a scientific consensus of anything, because it can't be proven. Only that the earth heats and cools in cycles. I wonder if the top limelight hog, whoever that might have been in the 70's, got the NPP for his/her "global cooling" research? :confused:

This was 100% a political stunt, and it's pretty obvious to see that...

• Members

I agree with you about the Nobel Peace Prize ...but the other Nobel prizes are worthy of praise as they actually did something.

Isn't that the one he won? I thought it was, but yeah?

I don't know how you can win a "Peace" of anything, when it has nothing to do with "peace"? Selling off your half-founded theories as gospel to make a grab for the green is hardly anything like that.

Stopping killing in Africa or the Middle East definitely, but this just makes it a farce and anyone with their own quack theory gets intl. recognition? Sure thing guys... Way to keep the "integrity" factor going...

EDIT:

No one posted it yet, so here it is for 'ol times sake! :D

gorestupidity.jpg

• Members

It didn't raise awareness to me, b/c it's not real. There's no such thing as a scientific consensus of anything, because it can't be proven. Only that the earth heats and cools in cycles. I wonder if the top limelight hog, whoever that might have been in the 70's, got the NPP for his/her "global cooling" research?
:confused:

This was 100% a political stunt, and it's pretty obvious to see that...

See, the movie caused controversy. You may not agree with what he says. I'm not going to argue the merits of it, because I'm no scientist. However, it did make people go out and investigate the issue on their own. I have friends on both sides of the issue. Most of them saw "Inconveniant Truth" and then did further reading. Some agree with you. Others believe Gore hit the nail on the head. But they wouldn't be examining the issue if Gore hadn't made a movie.

• Members

See, the movie caused controversy. You may not agree with what he says. I'm not going to argue the merits of it, because I'm no scientist. However, it did make people go out and investigate the issue on their own. I have friends on both sides of the issue. Most of them saw "Inconveniant Truth" and then did further reading. Some agree with you. Others believe Gore hit the nail on the head. But they wouldn't be examining the issue if Gore hadn't made a movie.

If you think lying and falsifying info and espousing your theories, as a non-scientist as "fact" and "Truth" (which is in the name), just to gain notoriety and make controversy is an upstanding and integral act, I'm sorry my friend. :)

It's a Michael Moore flick on steroids- just has the name of a has-been behind it, is why anyone "cared".

Anyone see Leo DiCrapio's flick? I heard it dropped like a bomb! :D

• Members

If you think lying and falsifying info and espousing your theories, as a non-scientist as "fact" and "Truth" (which is in the name), just to gain notoriety and make controversy is an upstanding and integral act, I'm sorry my friend.
:)

Most environmental scientists agree with Gore's stuff. He never claimed to do the research... He's always admitted scientists are behind his facts.

I wouldn't necessarily compare Inconveniant Truth to any of Moore's stuff. Moore goes out of his way to make everyone look bad, Truth is just laying out scientific opinions (I'm not going to say facts).

• Members

Most environmental scientists agree with Gore's stuff. He never claimed to do the research... He's always admitted scientists are behind his facts.

I wouldn't necessarily compare Inconveniant Truth to any of Moore's stuff. Moore goes out of his way to make everyone look bad, Truth is just laying out scientific opinions (I'm not going to say facts).

Again, you say "most", when there's no such evidence or hard data to back that up.

77.34% of people know that... ;)

• Members

You're right. No one even thought about Global Warming until Al made his movie.

Archived