OT: Burn VH burn

bassdudeguy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I take issue with the idea that, for the 80s, "Fun Rock" automatically equals "Hair Metal"...

For the 80s, I'd rather listen to Talking Heads or the Pixies, both of whom have "fun", goofy songs, and neither of whom come within 1000 miles of Hair metal. And in terms of overall catalog, both bands smoke most Hair Metal groups.

• Members

I take issue with the idea that, for the 80s, "Fun Rock" automatically equals "Hair Metal"...

For the 80s, I'd rather listen to Talking Heads or the Pixies, both of whom have "fun", goofy songs, and neither of whom come within 1000 miles of Hair metal. And in terms of overall catalog, both bands smoke most Hair Metal groups.

Two great bands. Not even on the same page as hair metal. Where was it said that hair metal equals fun rock??? (Not trying to be combative, i just think i missed something).

• Members

Two great bands. Not even on the same page as hair metal. Where was it said that hair metal equals fun rock??? (Not trying to be combative, i just think i missed something).

Im not sure if you grew up back then, but speaking from a guy who did, the music - like now - is more than the sum of what you listened to....Back in the 80s, hair-bands portrayed an air of mischievious fun - the vibe was always one of a groupie-chasing coke-induced happy party...It was "Nothin but a good time" ;).....

• Members
Im not sure if you grew up back then, but speaking from a guy who did, the music - like now - is more than the sum of what you listened to....Back in the 80s, hair-bands portrayed an air of mischievious fun - the vibe was always one of a groupie-chasing coke-induced happy party...It was "Nothin but a good time"
;)

No, i definitely didn't. I was in Kindergarten in '89. I've read enough about the eighties to understand the mentality of hair metal. I'm just confused as to why the Talking Heads and the Pixies are getting lumped in with the aquanet bands. Only common them I see is the 80's.

• Members

The first time I saw the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is one of those moments that I'll never forget, and not because it was so earth-shattering that it changed my life.
I was 12 years old. After school every day, I had chores to do, and my brother and I would put MTV's Top 10 Countdown while we cleaned. I was scrubbing the toilet to "November Rain", and right after that, "Teen Spirit" came on. My brother goes "Dude, you have to come see this!"

We stood there and watched the video and were like ":freak:". My brother was 16, and his comment was "These guys will never be number one on the countdown." :D

Two years later I was wearing flannel, smoking weed, and listening to grunge.:idea:

I just listened to "Heart Shaped Box" on YouTube, and remembered why I like Nirvana. That song is {censored}ing catchy...
C7

• Members
We stood there and watched the video and were like ":freak:". My brother was 16, and his comment was "These guys will never be number one on the countdown."
:D

That's funny. When my friend and I first saw Pearl Jam's "Alive" as a buzz cut (you have no idea how long it took me to remember the term buzz cut, by the way :freak:) and I was listening thinking "Holy {censored} this is {censored}ing amazing" his words were "Wow, these guys are going nowhere" :D

• Members
I'm not "lumping them in", I'm specifically saying they're quite different...That's what the phrase
"neither of whom come within 1000 miles of Hair metal"
means
:p

And it was Fitzwell (followed by some others) who equated "Fun Rock" with hair metal (L-28476251 mentioned White Lion, T.Alan mentioned Bon Jovi, etc.)

aha. I think the term "fun rock" is just throwing me for a loop.

• Members

aha. I think the term "fun rock" is just throwing me for a loop.

That's just what I call it. :idk:

Guess you just had to be there to understand. As I said before, I remember it fondly for the experiences I lived through while the stuff was popular probably more than for the music itself. I think each of us has a soundtrack to our childhoods, but what is on that soundtrack differs because of our ages, where we grew up, influences at the time, etc.

• Members

Im not sure if you grew up back then, but speaking from a guy who did, the music - like now - is more than the sum of what you listened to....Back in the 80s, hair-bands portrayed an air of mischievious fun - the vibe was always one of a groupie-chasing coke-induced happy party...It was "Nothin but a good time"
;)

Bingo. :thu:

• Members
Fun Rock.
:lol:

Hee hee. I'm glad you posted that.:p

Now listen to this one, and pay close attention to the guitar tracks. Vito Bratta is a LEGEND amoung guitarists for a reason. His rhythm playing and writing is right there with EVH, KILLER rhythm chops and parts that are much more complicated than they ever sound. His rhythm tracks made those songs, and all his soloing always fit right into them perfectly. Now, the glam is mostly a joke, but my whole point is to be able to look past all that silliness hear the talent these guys had. Whether someone likes that style of music or not, nobody with even a shred of musical knowledge can deny the skills they have. And besides, some of the most stupid campy lyrics I've ever heard came from John, Paul, George and Ringo. Nothing wrong with fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqpzaMmm_Vc&mode=related&search=

Their best example is Don't Give Up, but I can't find a good link to that song anywhere...

• Members
Hee hee. I'm glad you posted that.

Now listen to this one, and pay close attention to the guitar tracks. Vito Bratta is a LEGEND amoung guitarists for a reason. His rhythm playing and writing is right there with EVH, KILLER rhythm chops and parts that are much more complicated than they ever sound. His rhythm tracks made those songs, and all his soloing always fit right into them perfectly. Now, the glam is mostly a joke, but my whole point is to be able to look past all that silliness hear the talent these guys had. Whether someone likes that style of music or not, nobody with even a shred of musical knowledge can deny the skills they have. And besides, some of the most stupid campy lyrics I've ever heard came from John, Paul, George and Ringo. Nothing wrong with fun.

Their best example is Don't Give Up, but I can't find a good link to that song anywhere...

Yeah, I think that guy's a good guitar player too, but man... That singer. I think he practices his moves and faces in the mirror every day.

• Members

Nirvana like most successful progenitors of a genre will become famous just for starting something, let alone their accomplishments. I think that looking at his work, it isn't technically proficient, far from it, but it is full of purpose and feeling which is why they are so notable that was and still is synonymous with teenage angst that I can still relate to at 22.

And of course the meteoric success of the foo fighters has something to do with their status i'm sure..

Kurts death much like Dimebags, unfortunately as much as anything they did in their life times.. has secured their names in music history.

• Members
Hee hee. I'm glad you posted that.

Wasn't a fan. I hate to generalize, but I think the only band of that genre that I enjoy is G'n'R (and that really doesn't fall into the bubblegum pretty boy rock as much... it feels much more edgy). Here's some stuff I enjoy from the 80's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mCoOlUjhlc

And Kim Deal is prettier than all those hair metal dudes put together :p

• Members
Wasn't a fan. I hate to generalize, but I think the only band of that genre that I enjoy is G'n'R (and that really doesn't fall into the bubblegum pretty boy rock as much... it feels much more edgy). Here's some stuff I enjoy from the 80's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mCoOlUjhlc

And Kim Deal is prettier than all those hair metal dudes put together

I love the Pixies. Good choice. :thu:

• Members

Also...Dave Grohl wasn't the only one with talent. Back when they had Nevermind out, he was just a stupid monkey banging on the drums. However, he was able to evolve into what he is today...which is very talented.

Dave Grohl kicked ass at drums. He had actual parts that most people would just do a simple Boom-Chick line to. He hit hard and had great backing vocals. Without him as a drummer, they wouldn't have been nearly as big, even with Kurt's death.

Yo.

• Members

Nirvana had an energy and a complete aura that is lacking from a lot of modern bands. Not only was it their music (which was very simple and extremely catchy), it was their whole being.

Listening to them now (at 25 years of age) I dont enjoy it as much. But when you were a 12-14 year old angry teenager, who was depressed beyond all belief, then you really undertood.

Kind of how like I enjoy Nine Inch Nail's Downward Spiral a lot, but it doesn't mean anywhere as much to me now as I did growing up.

They were a great band. Great songs, great singing (he's not perfect, but you can feel it), great bass lines, powerful drumming . . . they were a great band. Period.

Archived