OT: Burn VH burn

bassdudeguy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They were a "right place at the right time" phenom that became the voice of a generation. Quality of music performance was never a true requirement for a band's success or mega-popularity, if the Stones or Kiss are any measure.

"Quality" is a subjective thing and is also genre-dependent.

To echo the comments regarding honesty, I think that's a big part of it. Kurt's vocals and performances had a visceral quality that few people can match. If you can listen to "Where did you sleep last night" and not hear the pain of a broken man, I'd have questions regarding your soul :D (To me, that sounds as much of a suicide note as Nick Drake's Pink Moon)...

• Members

Im not a big Nirvana fan but there is one thing I will add that is the attraction for me: Cobain was honest, and that honesty shows up in his music...He was a true bluesman, he just played it differently........and that honesty goes a long way for me...................

Tell me you did not just 'patch Mary Ann!:mad:

• Members

Besides, they opened the door for the truly talented acts like STP, Alice In Chains and Soundgarden.

And Pearl Jam. They also had more groups from Seattle more popular...like Mudhoney and Sonic Youth.

I will always have a place in my heart for them. There was a point in time when they were all that I listened to.

Also...Dave Grohl wasn't the only one with talent. Back when they had Nevermind out, he was just a stupid monkey banging on the drums. However, he was able to evolve into what he is today...which is very talented.

Krist Novaselic wrote some very cool bass lines. Listen to them before you say he sucked. I'm not saying he was a technical genius, I'm just saying he was a cool player.

• Members

As the band that finally offed hair metal, I have some respect for Nirvana even if I don't care for much of the music.

People look up to them because Kurt died. Same reason people worship Jim Morrison.

+1

I like the Doors but I don't like Nirvanna but it's probably a time thing. The Doors were in my time.

I always thought Cobain and his bitch were {censored}ing wierd ohs.

• Members

I liked them when I was in 6/7th grade.

I listen to it now and press "Next" whenever their stuff comes on Random.

It was a time piece, IMO, like a lot of the Seattle/grunge stuff was.

AIC is the only thing (and some Soundgarden) I can still listen to and enjoy.

• Members

Personally, I think Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time. I dont' think they suck or anything, but I think they were very average. A garage band that made it big. The whole obsession with Cobain after he died is really what made them bigger than they ever should have been. That and the Seattle whiny flannel shirt wearing pre-emo kid thing.

Dave, to me, was the talent in the band. That's is why he has had a very succesful career up until today.

I will give them credit for being very different in their time. As was Pearl Jam. And they had some pretty good songs. Like I said, I don't think they sucked or anything. However, I think Cobain was not 1/100th of what he has been made out to be. This Icon. Put on the same plane as Lennon or Hendrix. To me that is just ridiculous.

• Members

I liked Nirvana's music but I think Cobain was a whiney shmuck and a {censored} for offing himself.

Dood, just like Hendrix, he was murdered by Courtney Love! It's a cover up! Guitar World has blown this wide open for years, but nobody's buying in!?!? :mad::mad::mad:

;)

FWIW, I agree. Life sucks at times, but please- dude was a friggin' musical god in some circles. I'd kill him to be where they ended up!

Archived