OT: Burn VH burn

bassdudeguy

• Members
Nirvana had an energy and a complete aura that is lacking from a lot of modern bands. Not only was it their music (which was very simple and extremely catchy), it was their whole being.

Listening to them now (at 25 years of age) I dont enjoy it as much. But when you were a 12-14 year old angry teenager, who was depressed beyond all belief, then you really undertood.

Kind of how like I enjoy Nine Inch Nail's Downward Spiral a lot, but it doesn't mean anywhere as much to me now as I did growing up.

They were a great band. Great songs, great singing (he's not perfect, but you can feel it), great bass lines, powerful drumming . . . they were a great band. Period.

I'm 31 now and enjoy Nirvana more than ever. Actually, I didn't really start liking them until the mid-90s. I was kind of a close minded metal/punk kid when Nirvana was in their prime and it wasn't until college I started getting into other kinds of music. :idk: To each their own, I guess.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i love them to death... i used to be obsessed with them... man, people dont need to be virtuosos in their instruments to KICK ASS!!! The Ramones barely knew how to play their instruments when they recorded their first few albums, and they are some of the most kickass albums you can possibly hear!

see i hate people like vai and wooten, that just because they are masters of the instrument think they can make good music, but i also dont think the ramones (besides popularizing punk) were really as great a band as your making them sound, dont get me wrong, good band, but still not great

• Members

OK, I am not going to read all of this but I was in college at the time and "Nevermind" is one of the all-time great albums. It changed the whole music scene in like 2 weeks. And I was actually a bigger Pearl Jam fan but i could never deny "Nevermind"

They captured a great live performance of Unplugged as well. Probably the best I have ever seen Nirvana perform. I have seen them suck several times. We all know that Nirvana would not have lasted. He died before he had the chance to suck too much. Or before people would stop caring. Like Jimi H, Jim Morrison, Janis and other musical legends. Where would all those people be today if they were still alive. Hard to say but probably not on top anymore.....

• Members

Why are people so into Johnny Cash then? He is a great singer, but his bands did not have the most talent.

Nirvana made some great music, and I was into them before he swallowed a shotgun shell. I don't look up to them, but damn did they make good music.

Dream Theater is a perfect example of the opposite of this situation. All talent, no heart.

So by your reasoning you hate America:cop:

EDIT: Hair metal sucks a fat one

johny cash's musicians im pretty sure were solid though, and hair metal does not suck a fat one, america does:cool:

• Members

Some of it is just a time, a place and an experience. You were either there and got it or you just were not there or didnt get it. The Beatles are one of my all time favorites. I dont think I could ever truly know Beatlemania because i can only watch it on TV and say that was cool. I was not actually in that moment though which makes a big difference.

Kind of like now, I have no clue what is going on these days and the musical moments are passing me by like never before. :) I think I care less about pop culture and style than I used to back in my younger days which also makes a big difference.

• Members

johny cash's musicians im pretty sure were solid though, and hair metal does not suck a fat one, america does:cool:

Hair metal (AKA Butt Rock) does suck the fat one, and Nirvana's members had talent and were definitely solid. Look up to them, {censored} no. I think Cobain was a {censored}ing imbalanced twat, but he touched a lot of people with his music and it's hard to argue that.

Dan

• Members

charismatic, intelligent man? yes.
great songwriter and vocalist? i think so.
great guitarist? not a chance.
strung out {censored}head whose example no sane human being should follow? absolutely.

They also had more groups from Seattle more popular...like Mudhoney and Sonic Youth.

someone did point out that sonic youth is from new york, right?

• Members

And are contemporaries with the Talking Heads and the Pixies, not Nirvana.

sonic youth has been putting out remarkable records since before i was born and continues to do so to this day, but i definitely most associate them with the 90's. their mention in a thread about nirvana makes perfect sense. "1991: the year punk broke" was a sonic youth/nirvana concert film. kurt cobain and sy's kim gordon were extremely close (she appeared in gus van sant's "last days", the film "LOOSELY BASED" on cobain's suicide, and didn't even have to act).

no, really, "LOOSELY BASED," guys.

• Members

sonic youth has been putting out remarkable records since before i was born and continues to do so to this day, but i definitely most associate them with the 90's.

How old were you in 1985? You say they were putting out records before you were born, which means you were born after 1982.

Could it be that you associate them with the 90s because you were too young to associate them with any earlier time? ;)

There are a lot of people who associate Bowie with the 80s since he was in Labyrinth then (seriously), that doesn't mean that was the high point of his career. That just means their perception of his career is skewed to match their personal experience.

their mention in a thread about nirvana makes perfect sense.

Not when the mention is: "They also had more groups from Seattle more popular...like Mudhoney and Sonic Youth." :D

• Members
There are a lot of people who associate Bowie with the 80s since he was in Labyrinth then (seriously), that doesn't mean that was the high point of his career. That just means their perception of his career is skewed to match their personal experience.
:D

completely agreed, in concept. but sy's high point (in my opinion) was '88 through '95, so that's why i associate them with that period.

• Moderators
Personally, I think Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time. I dont' think they suck or anything, but I think they were very average. A garage band that made it big. The whole obsession with Cobain after he died is really what made them bigger than they ever should have been. That and the Seattle whiny flannel shirt wearing pre-emo kid thing.

Dave, to me, was the talent in the band. That's is why he has had a very succesful career up until today.

I will give them credit for being very different in their time. As was Pearl Jam. And they had some pretty good songs. Like I said, I don't think they sucked or anything. However, I think Cobain was not 1/100th of what he has been made out to be. This Icon. Put on the same plane as Lennon or Hendrix. To me that is just ridiculous.

+ a whole lot.

Archived