OT: Burn VH burn

bassdudeguy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I might start an Innovate Thread of the day award. Maybe I'm just becoming jaded, but seriously, how many times are we going to have the "Was Nirvana Good" argument.
Ra ra ra, Nirvana sucked, I don't get it.
Ra ra ra, it's a matter of opinion, they we totally original

Sheesh.

:(
(And yes I do know that it's difficult to find something original to argue about).

• Members

i love them to death... i used to be obsessed with them... man, people dont need to be virtuosos in their instruments to KICK ASS!!! The Ramones barely knew how to play their instruments when they recorded their first few albums, and they are some of the most kickass albums you can possibly hear!

• Members

Count me in for another who appreciates what they did, but isn't the biggest fan.

When Nevermind broke, Hairmetal was in full effect. Spandex, aquanet and craptastic wanking ruled. Enter three guys from Seattle who play sloppily, dress sloppily and write about the alienation of popular culture. Bam. Smash hit. Nirvana was a product of its time. Listening to it now, I don't think it's aged very well.

• Members

As the band that finally offed hair metal, I have some respect for Nirvana even if I don't care for much of the music.

And because they killed off hair metal I hated the whole grunge thing. Hell I still do. Except maybe for AIC. They had some cool stuff.

I sure do miss the "fun" rock and roll of the 80s. :cry:

• Members

posted in another thread i know but i still dont get it, dave was the only one in the band with talent :poke:

Talent goes way beyond technical ability. Certainly Nirvana would never be able to pull of a Dream Theatre song, but Dream Theatre wouldn't be able to pull off a Nirvana song, either (certainly they could probably play it note for note, but it would most likely be horrible).

Also appealing to me is the concept of a man who absolutely hates the idea of hero worship, but in speaking out against it becomes a hero himself, and is so torn apart by this that, in the end, he can't go on living as someone that he hates being (an icon). This is why they got more destructive as they got more successful. Destroying the guitar at the end of a show, not to look cool or because you are supposed to, but because it is the very thing that is turning you into what you hate. Basically, the honesty (as the artist formerly knows as DRF puts it)

• Members

Can't say I look UP to Nirvana.

That said, IMO they created good music worthy of its place in the rock canon.

As the band that finally offed hair metal, I have some respect for Nirvana even if I don't care for much of the music.

People look up to them because Kurt died. Same reason people worship Jim Morrison.

• Members

I SUPPOSE I can let you off easy on this statement since you are a little bit older than me. :p Hair metal was king when I was in high school, so there will always be a soft spot in my heart for it. Not so much for the music itself but for the memories and experiences that happened while listening to it.

• Members

People look up to them because Kurt died. Same reason people worship Jim Morrison.

that is the stupidest thing ive ever read... just watch the Doors live! people WORKSHIPPED Jim! if he told them all to kill themselves right there they would...

sorry, i quoted the wrong person!

• Members

posted in another thread i know but i still dont get it, dave was the only one in the band with talent :poke:

I'll agree that Nirvana is not all they were cracked up to be IMO. They broke and changed the music industry...not to say they were the first band doing what they did, but they were the band that got acclaim for it.

But to say they didn't have talent is retarded.

• Members

I picked up my first bass when Nirvana, Green Day, Offspring, AIC, et al were doing there thing all over the mainstream. I learned to my radio (didn't have a tape deck) so I learned a lot of the grunge material and listened to a lot of it. I 'looked up' to them because they were on MTV and I wasn't, but I never held them as the ultimate in playing, it was just good music and what was hot at the time. same reason you hair band guys love that so much, it was YOUR TURN, your music for your generation. I've always been more of a classic rock guy myself, but the grunge days bring back memories.

I was over them by the time he offed himself, so I was flabergasted that all the kiddies were wearing black arm bands and crying......

• Members
I sure do miss the "fun" rock and roll of the 80s.
:cry:

Absolutely! Wonder why all the 80's party rock cover bands draw so large? People have fun, and it's fun music. Not to mention there were some monster players in those bands, which is an element I really miss in a lot of newer rock bands.

• Members
I SUPPOSE I can let you off easy on this statement since you are a little bit older than me.
:p
Hair metal was king when I was in high school, so there will always be a soft spot in my heart for it. Not so much for the music itself but for the memories and experiences that happened while listening to it.

I think I was in Jr High when Bon Jovi's 1st album came out. Yeah, I learned to play Runaway on the keyboard. Like everything else, for every cool hair band tune, there were dozens of crappy tunes. It was the hair band scene that changed the industry from music to image driven. Look at all the posers that came out during that time...shredding for the sake of image rather than for the sake of musical(imaginative) communication.

• Members
Look at all the posers that came out during that time...shredding for the sake of image rather than for the sake of musical(imaginative) communication.

While there was certainly a lot of wanking, listen to anything from White Lion and try to say that wasn't masterful guitar work, and excellent writing. There was SO much killer playing in that genre that gets totally overlooked and laughed off because of the image, and I don't think anyone really ever listened to the nuances of the writing, especially the guitar side of it. They only hear the 'image', if that makes any sense. Listen to old David Lee Roth songs with Vai to hear some of the best rhythm guitar based writing ever, and there are tons of other examples. Heck, ever really listen to Winger? That band was tight, and had som great players and recordings. But everyone will laugh them off and never hear or be willing to see that side of them. Even Motley Crue was a tight band as far as writing and playing went, their music has some of the baddest rhythm hooks in all rock, and they could groove. Hearing all the talk of wanking, image, shredding always makes me wonder how much someone has ever really heard when the old 80's bands come up. Those guys could school most all rock bands today on groove, melody, songwriting, rhythm hooks and technique. SCHOOL them!:cool:

• Members
While there was certainly a lot of wanking, listen to anything from White Lion and try to say that wasn't masterful guitar work, and excellent writing. There was SO much killer playing in that genre that gets totally overlooked and laughed off because of the image, and I don't think anyone really ever listened to the nuances of the writing, especially the guitar side of it. They only hear the 'image', if that makes any sense. Listen to old David Lee Roth songs with Vai to hear some of the best rhythm guitar based writing ever, and there are tons of other examples. Heck, ever really listen to Winger? That band was tight, and had som great players and recordings. But everyone will laugh them off and never hear or be willing to see that side of them. Even Motley Crue was a tight band as far as writing and playing went, their music has some of the baddest rhythm hooks in all rock, and they could groove. Hearing all the talk of wanking, image, shredding always makes me wonder how much someone has ever really heard when the old 80's bands come up. Those guys could school most all rock bands today on groove, melody, songwriting, rhythm hooks and technique. SCHOOL them!
:cool:

There was the 80's obligatory "lookit me!" solo per song, but there were plenty of legit players during that time. I mean good God, compared the "Playing in drop C.3#fths flat is the roxxors!! LOL!!" mentality that so much pop/rock stuff is about today, man, I'd take those glam metal days w/ the cats who could actually control and use their instruments any day! :thu:

• Members
While there was certainly a lot of wanking, listen to anything from White Lion and try to say that wasn't masterful guitar work, and excellent writing. There was SO much killer playing in that genre that gets totally overlooked and laughed off because of the image, and I don't think anyone really ever listened to the nuances of the writing, especially the guitar side of it. They only hear the 'image', if that makes any sense. Listen to old David Lee Roth songs with Vai to hear some of the best rhythm guitar based writing ever, and there are tons of other examples. Heck, ever really listen to Winger? That band was tight, and had som great players and recordings. But everyone will laugh them off and never hear or be willing to see that side of them. Even Motley Crue was a tight band as far as writing and playing went, their music has some of the baddest rhythm hooks in all rock, and they could groove. Hearing all the talk of wanking, image, shredding always makes me wonder how much someone has ever really heard when the old 80's bands come up. Those guys could school most all rock bands today on groove, melody, songwriting, rhythm hooks and technique. SCHOOL them!
:cool:

Paul Gilbert ownz them all.

• Members

It's not like Nirvana ever aimed for success. They were basically an indie band in the same vein as Dinosaur Jr and whatever. They were told by their label, DGC, that with some marketing and touring, they might be able to sell as many records as their labelmates Sonic Youth who had a dedicated cult following but not exactly mainstream success. I think they had already released their first major label album, Goo at the time. When Nevermind came out it suddenly exploded and people who would not normally have been 'groomed for major label success' i.e. not a slickly produced and polished pop act suddenly became a huge deal, against the odds. I think it was a natural time for a band like them to succeed...how much further was hair metal going to go? I think the point of cheese saturation had been reached.

Archived