Looking for digital multi-track recorder

johnny6644

• Members

Oh, learned bass forum members!

My wife has started writing songs with a local musician and has expressed a need for a recorder, mostly for studio "live" sessions. Mostly they'd record everything at once and maybe add some things later, vocals most likely.

I would like it to record practices and start to take down some riffs and basslines... and write songs.

Opinions on best, cheapest, easy to use recorders? I'm looking at that tiny little Boss recorder: the DR-something or other?

Help! All of a sudden my wife is interest in buying something I want! And of course she wants it now; she's writing a song for her BFF's movie.

• Members

Audacity is free. Record straight to the computer and overdub as much as you want. Limited by your sound card's inputs (typically stereo; could be wired as two discrete channels though.)

Today's notebooks are plenty powerful for taking out and about and at least getting the rough tracks down.

Or, if you want to pony up some money, we can SURE find ways for you to spend it!

• Members

I used a Fostex MD-80HD to record all the stuff that's on our myspace site. Click below to listen to them.

It was about $450 at GC, and it's super easy to use. You convert to WAV on the unit, bump it to your computer via USB, and then edit the tracks in Audacity or whatever program you use for that.

What's nice is, you can take it places and do live 4-track digital recordings.

C7

• Members

I'd like to stay away from the computer on the front end as much as possible; kind of a pecadillo of mine.

In crotchety old man voice: I don't like these new-fangled 'puter things! But I am not daunted by complicated digital recorders... yet!

• Members

What do y'all think about the Boss BR-600 Digital Recorder? Got lots of good reviews at Musician's Friend (not exactly a ringing endorsement). It's a bit higher in price than the other ones, but I wonder if it might be worth the extra bucks.

It's nice, but if your main focus is going to be live recordings, the Zoom units are the way to go.

• Members

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the Boss BR-600 unless somebody knows something that would kill the deal. All the reviews say the built-in mics are good enough; one guy claims to use it to record drums.

I like the drum machine feature; we lost another damn drummer this week; moved to Washington, D.C.!

• Moderators

I've had extensive experience with the Korg Multi tracks before going the firewire route. The Korg units are easy to use and have a great host of features. Depending on the number of inputs needed take a look at either the D1200mkII or D1600mkII.

• Members

I used a Fostex MD-80HD to record all the stuff that's on our myspace site. Click below to listen to them.

It was about $450 at GC, and it's super easy to use. You convert to WAV on the unit, bump it to your computer via USB, and then edit the tracks in Audacity or whatever program you use for that.

What's nice is, you can take it places and do live 4-track digital recordings.

C7

+1 with strong recommendations!:thu: for Fostex!

These things are half the price of Boss and Korg with all the same basic features. C7, are you talking about the Fostex MR-8HD? I paid $399 for mine, has 40 gigs of hard drive space. On mine you can do the .WAV convert, or since it now comes with a USB host I bypass the computer completely and put the final product on a stand-alone free standing CD/DVD burner ($99 at Best Buy).

Suggestion: if you have a mixer (even a POS, doesn't matter), put that in front of the unit. I use a Mackie 1402-VLZ- everything goes through this first before it hits the Fostex, allowing for much more than four-track recording.

In short, Korg and Boss haven't caught up to the new price points that Fostex has. Build quality is very good to excellent.

• Members

I am fixing to put up my Roland VS 2000 CD Work station up for sale complete with 2 Roland DS 30A Stutio monitors, US audio SAT1 Satelite module 4 sets of K-66 headphones,GXL 2400 Condenser Mic with shock mount and all the cables to hook everything up complete with manuals for $1450.00 shipped.

I paid right at 3k for everything new and it all still looks new and has always been handled with care.

the only reason I am getting rid of it is to help finance an upgrade to a larger system.

Anyone who may be interested can PM Me.

Archived