OT: iPod or other?

ToeJamFootball

• Members

It may be fine for you, but I will absolutely NOT consider a player that cannot be used as a USB storage device using a standard USB cable.

The Creative Zen Vision:M uses a mini USB to regular USB cable, but it plugs into a little block at the end of the player that costs like $5, it comes with the player though.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I never thought I would defend an iPod, but saying it can't play mp3's is not correct:

# Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, WAV, and AIFF

Straight from apple.com.

However, the iTunes music store does not sell mp3's, only Apple's proprietary format. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

That was my bad, I wasn't clear. I meant to say that I do not like the idea of itunes only selling non-mp3, proprietary formats.

:bor:

• Members

Here's my take.

All of the forementioned issues were a concern to me as well (cost, Apple-bull{censored}, need for proprietary cable, need for proprietary software, etc.) There were other issues as well and I was was pretty determined not to own an Ipod. At the time I was a bit of a minidisc zealot as well but I started looking into mp3 players like the Zen and others. I was definately one of those "anti-Ipod" people.

And then..... well, first of all I actually got to use one for a short while, and I had to admit it was pretty cool. Then I found a great deal on a used 5th gen 60gig. I figured, "what the hey, I can always sell it later" and I took the deal. Wow. I absolutely love this little evil box. In use (playing, downloading, recording, etc.), it is ultra intuitive, smooth operating, and problem free. It sounds great. It goes with me everywhere and I always have my entire music collection to choose from at any given moment. I've got well over 9000 tracks on it and there's still tons of room for more. I never imagined I would get so much use out of it. Beyond just general listening, it's there for road trips, learning new songs at band practice, playing music in between sets at gigs, sharing new music with others, working out, basic field recording, parties, etc. I've got one of those little Itrip thingies so I can easily play through any radio/stereo system wherever I am.

To address some of the specific concerns: The non-USB cable is a complete non-issue. I pretty much always have one of the proper cables around, and there are so many Ipod users out there it's likely someone else has one to borrow if for some reason I don't have mine. They are also cheap and easy to come by if you need an extra that you can toss in your car/computer-case/pack/etc. The issue of "not playing mp3's" has been addressed - it just isn't a concern in actual use. Being forced to use Itunes? - nope..there are a few third party software options that work just fine (better in some instances) and most are available as freeware. The coolest are ones like SharePod - they live on the Ipod itself (and take up virtually no room) and they allow you to transfer (download AND upload) tracks/data to any computer regardless of what software it has or doesn't have.

I'm not a techie kinda guy, I'm not an Apple cheerleader type (I run a PC and don't have ANY interest in an Iphone), and I was pre-determined to being anti-Ipod, but, for all that, I've got an Ipod, I absolutely love it, and would definately recommend one to others.

That said, I would also recommend folks look into alternatives like Creative's Zen and others - they DO have their merits and may be a better choice for some users.

Also, one big Ipod concern that wasn't brought up yet is the battery. I'm not thrilled about this. It's a proprietary unit (of course) that was engineered in such a way so that, essentially, when it wears out (and it will), that's it. In theory you can't just pop in a new one and continue on your way. Yes, there are aftermarket units available but they aren't cheap and it's a pretty tricky (and risky) job to do yourself. And you can send your unit back to evil Apple and have them change it out, but it's really expensive, a major hassle, and time consuming. This is my biggest Ipod gripe. Ah well, ain't nothing perfect.

• Members

Question to Ipod owners... A friend has one, and when in song selection, after starting a song, after about 2-3 seconds, when the screen goes back to the root menu, or blank, or whatever it is that it does after a few seconds, it hiccups for a moment and goes silent. Drives me nuts.

Is this normal still, or is it something that got resolved in a more recent generation version?

• Members

Hers always has, and it does it like I said, a few seconds into the first song choosen, after the touch wheel/pad thing is left alone. It's brief, not even 1/2 second, and it is obvious that it does it when the screen goes dim (power conservation mode or something). but it does it all the same. Must be an older gen issue then. That is why they make new versions, to solve old problems.

• Members

The salesman was close. iPods will NOT play wma files! Even if you added wma files to your iTunes library, they will be automatically converted.

On another note, that salesman should have been fired! You must know everything about a product you are selling!! He lost a sale by giving false information.

• CMS Author

I'm with you on this one. Add to that the proprietary cable (that probably costs $90 to replace) and I'm out.

I have a digicam and an mp3 player, therefore I own 2 USB (small) to USB (PC) cables. One sits at work, plugged in at the back, the other sits at home, plugged in at the back and both have the business end sitting on top of my tower, taped in place for when I need it. I don't want to mess with another cable, I don't want to have to carry my cable with me when I go every where, it's just not worth it to be trendy.

$90 replacement cable? Try $4.99.....

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-Dock-Connector-Cable/dp/B0007RV3IE

• Members

The salesman was close. iPods will NOT play wma files! Even if you added wma files to your iTunes library, they will be automatically converted.

On another note, that salesman should have been fired! You must know everything about a product you are selling!! He lost a sale by giving false information.

Lost a sale nothing, he out right turned me off of them entirely at that time. Even though I have learned the way things really are, I still don't want one for a number of reasons. I don't forsee that changing any time soon. Still too many arguments against it for me versus the ones for.

• Members
$90 replacement cable? Try $4.99.....

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-Dock-Connector-Cable/dp/B0007RV3IE

It's a joke. I feel Apple overcharges a little for their stuff because they can (it's trendy). One person said the cable is $20 at the store, you show it as $5, odds are the $20 price tag is info from last year "before better manufacturing and technology allow them to reduce the price to where it is now." :rolleyes:

• CMS Author

It's a joke. I feel Apple overcharges a
little
for their stuff because they can (it's trendy). One person said the cable is $20 at the store, you show it as $5, odds are the $20 price tag is info from last year "before better manufacturing and technology allow them to reduce the price to where it is now."
:rolleyes:

I'd expect to pay $20 for any cable related to any player. The $5 is just an example of what you can do if you really need to go cheap (there's virtually no chance that cable is made by Apple).

• Members

I'd expect to pay $20 for any cable related to any player. The $5 is just an example of what you can do if you really need to go cheap (there's virtually no chance that cable is made by Apple).

The official price from store.apple.com is $19. That $5 cable has to be grey market or a look alike. It's the same thing as instrument cables. Sure you can buy a $30 monster cable if you want / need it right now. Or you can order online and get it for much less from people like Bayou Cables.

• CMS Author

The official price from store.apple.com is $19. That $5 cable has to be grey market or a look alike. It's the same thing as instrument cables. Sure you can buy a $30 monster cable if you want / need it right now. Or you can order online and get it for much less from people like Bayou Cables.

But your iPod won't sound right until you get a Lav@ cable for $179.98

• Members

No, not made by Apple, but Apple branded none the less. Just like the cable you would get when you buy a new iPod.

• Members

Get an iPod. Their market penetration ASSURES you that MOST of your buddies will have an iPod too and you plug into their computer. OTOH, how many people you know have an iRiver?

Yes you can use the iPod as a hard drive also.

Yes you can play MP3s and make them from wma files.

Yes it comes with a free cable.

Yes you're locked into iTunes and you can't drag and drop your music (unless you are in hard drive mode), but if you only have a chump collection of maybe a coupla hundred songs I can see how drag and drop may work. For manipulating and organizing THOUSANDS of songs by genre/artist/album/title/what have you there is no better interface than iTunes.

And yes Apple is rolling out Digital Rights Management FREE music.

• Members

Get an iPod. Their market penetration ASSURES you that MOST of your buddies will have an iPod too and you plug into their computer. OTOH, how many people you know have an iRiver?

Yes you can use the iPod as a hard drive also.

Yes you can play MP3s and make them from wma files.

Yes it comes with a free cable.

Yes you're locked into iTunes and you can't drag and drop your music (unless you are in hard drive mode), but if you only have a chump collection of maybe a coupla hundred songs I can see how drag and drop may work. For manipulating and organizing THOUSANDS of songs by genre/artist/album/title/what have you there is no better interface than iTunes.

And yes Apple is rolling out Digital Rights Management FREE music.

I'm set on an iPod. Thanks for arguing for me guys! It helped me out :D

I already have one of those cables, I used to have a Nano, but I stood on it :(

• Members

Not everyone has iTunes on their computer. And I would like to be able to connect my player to their computers as well. iPod = no go, unless the computer has iTunes and iPod drivers. This is too restrictive FOR ME.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why is that? For what reason do you desire to connect your player to "any" computer?

Would it be so you can load it up with music you didn't pay for?

I know "piracy" has been discussed on here before...

But as a musician who wishes to make a LIVING on my music (I'm don't yet, but I certainly hope to), I'm thankful that companies like Apple make it difficult for people to distribute things for free that I mean to make money on.

• Members
Just to satisfy my curiosity, why is that? For what reason do you desire to connect your player to "any" computer?

Would it be so you can load it up with music you didn't pay for?

I know "piracy" has been discussed on here before...

But as a musician who wishes to make a LIVING on my music (I'm don't yet, but I certainly hope to), I'm thankful that companies like Apple make it difficult for people to distribute things for free that I mean to make money on.

He explains his statement in the very next sentence...

It may be fine for you, but I will absolutely NOT consider a player that cannot be used as a USB storage device using a standard USB cable.

He won't consider any player that can't be used as a standard USB storage device. Normally I'd give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you missed where he said that, but considering it's the very next statement it very much seems like you're stretching like a rubberband just to post a little rant insinuating illegal activity...:rolleyes:

Archived