Som I'm think about bass Cabs: Aguilar or Dr. Bass?

willsellout

• Members

Just a heads up - Dr. Bass rocks and is a great value. Little slow though.

Imho they are a little cheaper than LDS, which I like, but I can't speak to the comparitive sound quality.

Maybe I'll get my next cab made by them and compare =)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The aguilar GS112 is very highly critically aclaimed by the press and players, the DB less so.

I did a fair bit of research and I have personally gone with aguilar, i'm in the process of buying a second cab to pair with it.

But you have 1200 watts on tap, not sure two GS112's will take that type of abuse.... neither will your ears :D

• Members
This thread is useless... No one has compared the two
:mad:

It's just "aguilar rox!" or "dr bass roxes!"

Well that's true..but people have given opinions. I like the configurations of the DR. Bass but have no idea about the tone.

As far as the 1200 watts and the 1x12's...just cause i have it don't mean I have to use it all right:D

Dan

• Members

I was just hoping for a little comparison. Whenever Dr Bass threads come up, they're always full of "WOW DR BASS ROX ZOMG!!!", which I know this, because I owned one. I've yet to hear "PFFT DR BASS, GET ____"

In Mesa, Aguilar, GB, SWR, etc threads, people do the same thing, and the nothing's really been compared. I'm in the market for a cab in the next few months and really only have access to 1 GC... Need input!

• Moderators

I was just hoping for a little comparison. Whenever Dr Bass threads come up, they're always full of "WOW DR BASS ROX ZOMG!!!", which I know this, because I owned one. I've yet to hear "PFFT DR BASS, GET ____"

In Mesa, Aguilar, GB, SWR, etc threads, people do the same thing, and the nothing's really been compared. I'm in the market for a cab in the next few months and really only have access to 1 GC... Need input!

I hear you. If someone will loan me a Dr. Bass cab I'd be happy to compare with all of the brands that have been in my possession - i.e. every major brand. Until then, I can only compare what I know.

• Members

Hey Dan....

FWIW here's a clip of a StringRay SR-5 running through a GB1200 -> GB212.

With my GK -> DR B BL-112 I can get a similar clear sound although it may not have quite as much low end. (kinda subjective) Really close though.

That's the thing..I'm not looking for clear. I'm looking for midrangey and colored. That clip sounds really really too clear for me honestly.

Dan

• Members

This is coming from my limited experience with GS112s. One GS112s sounds middy and punchy. It's clear, bright, and the tweets are quite sweet even at full. It does lack some low low end with my Little Mark II. Now, you add another GS112 to your set up, the overall sound changes drastically, imo. As suggested by Kindness, one GS112 has the tweet on 0, and the other GS112 has tweet on full. It sounds GODLY to me with the amount of deep thump I get, and all the mid/high details, but the bold middy edge seems to disappear a little with two of them.

Again, I am horrible at describing tone or sounds, so take it as whatever. :D

• Members
I probably should have thrown SWR into the mix...I love their live tone.

Dan

Yeah, but the 12's are not the same. SWR calls them 'low fi' in the manuals, no tweeters and an overall totally different vibe than the rest of their pro series. These things are get down and dirty, raunchy rock cabs, to my ears are the best combination of quality defined tone and raw grunt. And did I mention the sound amazing with the Genz?;)

• Members
Yeah, but the 12's are not the same. SWR calls them 'low fi' in the manuals, no tweeters and an overall totally different vibe than the rest of their pro series. These things are get down and dirty, raunchy rock cabs, to my ears are the best combination of quality defined tone and raw grunt. And did I mention the sound amazing with the Genz?
;)

Do they still make the 12's?

Dan

• Moderators
This is coming from my limited experience with GS112s. One GS112s sounds middy and punchy. It's clear, bright, and the tweets are quite sweet even at full. It does lack some low low end with my Little Mark II. Now, you add another GS112 to your set up, the overall sound changes drastically, imo. As suggested by Kindness, one GS112 has the tweet on 0, and the other GS112 has tweet on full. It sounds GODLY to me with the amount of deep thump I get, and all the mid/high details, but the bold middy edge seems to disappear a little with two of them.

Again, I am horrible at describing tone or sounds, so take it as whatever.
:D

Rummy - I believe what you are experiencing is a volume increase when using both cabinets, both from the increased power output and the doubling of the speakers. Anytime volume increases (within reason) the bass and treble output appears to increase and the mids appear to tame themselves. This is a function of how human hearing operates and is described by the Fletcher-Munson curves.

Archived