Som I'm think about bass Cabs: Aguilar or Dr. Bass?

willsellout

• Members

So since I bought a head I was thinking about once I sell my Hamer (crosses fingers because I think it's sold) I can get a 1x12 of some sort. I loves me some low mids and I hear that the Aguilar DB series has it in spades. I am also curious about Dr. Bass' 1x12 and 6.5 mid driver as well. My concern with them is that it might be a bit too clean for my tastes? Over at TB they just rave about the Aggie's:

aguilar_db112.jpg

Or the Dr. Bass:

BL_1260_web.jpg

shoot even the 15 and 8" looks good. Decisions decisions! A lil' help here:wave:

Dan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

How were they price wise? If was to have something made it would be a 12 and either one 8 or two 8's. Are they on par with Aggie pricewise?

Dan

My 1x15 + 1x6.5 with extra lightweight plywood, tolex and Fender grill cloth was under $475 shipped to my door. It is a huge cabinet (27" x 24" x 16") and yet only weighs 47 lbs. Sounds EXACTLY as we intended the design to sound.

• Members

My 1x15 + 1x6.5 with extra lightweight plywood, tolex and Fender grill cloth was under $475 shipped to my door. It is a huge cabinet (27" x 24" x 16") and yet only weighs 47 lbs. Sounds EXACTLY as we intended the design to sound.

I'm on the phone with them right now. I'm on hold though:D

Dan

• Moderators

I'm on the phone with them right now. I'm on hold though:D

Dan

You just have to tell Don what you want and he will hook it up. Give him your design parameters and let him fill in the details. 1x12 - about the size of ___ - under ___ lbs. - sounds something like ___ - etc.

• Members

The GS is a front ported box, the DB is rear. The DB is supposed to give a little more of a vintage vibe, the GS more modern. I have used both and either one is great. There wasn't a crazy difference between them, so I went with the GS cause it was cheaper.

I have all GS cabs, and go for quite a mid punchy type sound. They deliver every time.

I would highly recommend the Aggie over Dr. Bass. Something just doesn't sit well with that company for me. Not sure what it is...

• Members

Well just got off the phone with Don at LDS. We discussed some stuff and I kind of came to the conclusion that a 12" with an 8" would be good. The Neo speakers are about a hundred bucks more but even with that it would be just about even with the Aguilar DB 1x12. I wanted to get the vintage grill cloth too which I really dig. He said it would be able to handle it's own in a band setting and if I ever needed something to add to it I could just add another 12" sub and it would handle just about anything.

I'd be looking at about 500.00 bucks total not including shipping I don't think?

Dan

• Members

The GS is a front ported box, the DB is rear. The DB is supposed to give a little more of a vintage vibe, the GS more modern. I have used both and either one is great. There wasn't a crazy difference between them, so I went with the GS cause it was cheaper.

I have all GS cabs, and go for quite a mid punchy type sound. They deliver every time.

I would highly recommend the Aggie over Dr. Bass. Something just doesn't sit well with that company for me. Not sure what it is...

So not a large difference between the two eh? People always say they found the Aggies to be mid scooped, but I found plenty of mids with the 2x12. I could perceivably buy 2 GS 1x12's right now.

Dan

• Moderators

Well just got off the phone with Don at LDS. We discussed some stuff and I kind of came to the conclusion that a 12" with an 8" would be good. The Neo speakers are about a hundred bucks more but even with that it would be just about even with the Aguilar DB 1x12. I wanted to get the vintage grill cloth too which I really dig. He said it would be able to handle it's own in a band setting and if I ever needed something to add to it I could just add another 12" sub and it would handle just about anything.

I'd be looking at about 500.00 bucks total not including shipping I don't think?

Dan

Sounds right to me on all counts.

I can certainly vouch for my 1x15 + 1x6.5 to be more than capable in a full band setting with very limited power available (85 watts). It literally shakes the walls.

• Members

So not a large difference between the two eh? People always say they found the Aggies to be mid scooped, but I found plenty of mids with the 2x12. I could perceivably buy 2 GS 1x12's right now.

Dan

It's not like I was A/Bing them for hours on end. I'm sure that if I plugged in to some DB's right now, I'd hear more of a difference since I've been playing the GS for a while. I still thing you'd be happy with the GS though...

Try em both if you can.

• Members

Sounds right to me on all counts.

I can certainly vouch for my 1x15 + 1x6.5 to be more than capable in a full band setting with very limited power available (85 watts). It literally shakes the walls.

Well we will see. I'm going to take some time and think about what I want right now and what I would need in the future and go from there. I know I need speakers that can handle the power the 1200 dishes, but I do want something to be portable and easy to move. No more hauling huge cabs for me..it just aint worth it. I have to think about the music I might be playing too. I really wish I could try all these cabs out with the head..that is what sucks about living in Oregon.

Of course then there is a guy selling a 4x10 Mesa Diesel cab locally;)....

Dan

• Members

It's not like I was A/Bing them for hours on end. I'm sure that if I plugged in to some DB's right now, I'd hear more of a difference since I've been playing the GS for a while. I still thing you'd be happy with the GS though...

Try em both if you can.

I've owned the GS 2x12 and loved the tone. If the 1x12's are on the same line, I would be happy.

Dan

• Moderators

I've never played through the 2X12, but I'd imagine (2) 1X12's would sound pretty similar.

I can tell you that within the GS line, the cabs I've played have all been very similar. Clearly from the same family. In fact, the 4x10 really just sounds like a bigger version of the 1x12.

Archived