Som I'm think about bass Cabs: Aguilar or Dr. Bass?

willsellout

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well it looks as though Schroeder is on the table now after reading all the reviews on TB. The description of the 1212L is low mid heavy, punchy, and aggressive. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone have experience here with these?

Dan

Yup. That 1212L is incredible for such a small cab. We had a guy come demo one with a WT-400 and a Warwick Thumb. We tried all kinds of things; tipped it on it's side with the angled speaker pointing up (could hear it really well standing really close), with the angled speaker pointing down (dub styley low end, still defined), and with the cab on top of an Ampeg 1x15 (couldn't hear the Ampeg even on a detuned A). Arguably the best standalone cab of it's size.

I'd love to have one.

C7

• Moderators

Yup. That 1212L is incredible for such a small cab. We had a guy come demo one with a WT-400 and a Warwick Thumb. We tried all kinds of things; tipped it on it's side with the angled speaker pointing up (could hear it really well standing really close), with the angled speaker pointing down (dub styley low end, still defined), and with the cab on top of an Ampeg 1x15 (couldn't hear the Ampeg even on a detuned A). Arguably the best standalone cab of it's size.

I'd love to have one.

C7

It is all about the colored, mid-heavy sound you say you are going for Dan. Loud as balls too. It is not my style at all. It might be exactly yours.

• Members

Go try some dude.....

One of the reason's my DR Bass cab is so clear is it has a kick ass tweeter... (first cab I have ever used with one)
You can always turn the tweeter off. You amp looks to have a quite versatile pre-amp section. I am sure you can get a rockin' tone with just about any of the cabs mentioned.

That said....if you weren't lookin for lightweight, I would say get a fridge and be done with it. :)

• Members
Go try some dude.....

One of the reason's my DR Bass cab is so clear is it has a kick ass tweeter... (first cab I have ever used with one)

You can always turn the tweeter off. You amp looks to have a quite versatile pre-amp section. I am sure you can get a rockin' tone with just about any of the cabs mentioned.

That said....if you weren't lookin for lightweight, I would say get a fridge and be done with it.
:)

Yeah I wish Icould try some out. I really want lightweight because I don't plan on buying any other cabs ever..I'm tired of buying gear and selling it. Now I buy stuff that will last with me. I'm temped to just buy the Aggie 1x12's because I've heard them and I like they way they sound. they are durable, lightweight and completely portable. They do have a Schroeder 1210 I think at the GC a couple hours away for a good price..and I'm sure I could talk them down. Does anyone know if Schroeder ever made a 2x10 cab design? The tag said it was a 2x10 but they don't show a 2x10 on his site.

Dan

• Members

It is all about the colored, mid-heavy sound you say you are going for Dan. Loud as balls too. It is not my style at all. It might be exactly yours.

Which is also why I think a Genz NeoX212 wouldn't be the right cab either, as was mentioned in another thread. As I recall that cab had a very even response across the board, nice deep lows, even mids and clear highs. Not a snarly mid-bumped cab.

• Members

Which is also why I think a Genz NeoX212 wouldn't be the right cab either, as was mentioned in another thread. As I recall that cab had a very even response across the board, nice deep lows, even mids and clear highs. Not a snarly mid-bumped cab.

That and it's too big. I measured some stuff out and it was just a bit too big. I think I'm going the 1x12 route. Unless a Schroeder comes up used. Now to decide between the Aggie GS and DB cabs. Mesa is out because they aren't good enough for me to try and track their {censored} down.

Dan

• Members

seriously, based on his love for the GK800's snarl and bite, an Eden 210xlt or xst would be the trick.

But based on that much, me may seriously look back into the Avatar. Its got that sound....AND its cheap.

I actually thought about the Eden as well. They are heavy as {censored} though and kind of awkward..at least that's how I remember them. 2 2x10's wouldn't be bad though for a mini rig.

Dan

• Members

That and it's too big. I measured some stuff out and it was just a bit too big. I think I'm going the 1x12 route. Unless a Schroeder comes up used. Now to decide between the Aggie GS and DB cabs. Mesa is out because they aren't good enough for me to try and track their {censored} down.

Dan

Hey Dan, not sure what they sell for as Im not that knowledgeable on brands such as Schroeder, but heres a 1212L one on EBAY, hope this helps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1212-LIGHT-Bass-Cabinet-by-SCHROEDER-2x12-NEW_W0QQitemZ180175514223QQihZ008QQcategoryZ121159QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Hey Dan, not sure what they sell for as Im not that knowledgeable on brands such as Schroeder, but heres a 1212L one on EBAY, hope this helps:

yup, that's a new one. They go for 8 bills new. I guess it can be your only cabinet because it's so loud but 800.00 is a lot of money for a cab I've never heard.

It's tough because I don't really need to spend a bunch of money on cabs that are super high end. I like some coloring and I like them to have some of their own flavor. Right now I'm going back and forth between an Avatar neo cab, Aggie DB or GS 1x12, or a Mesa 1x12. The Mesa is unlikely though because they ar impossible to find.

Dan

• Moderators

It is definitely mid bumped/heavy, but more towards the lower mids.

Archived