Rack Compressors

cwatson

• Members

I've had good luck with the dbx 266XL compressor/limiter/gate. They're around $150 new. Used examples turn up on eBay all the time.

You get two channels, which lets you run two compressors in series. My music producer and sound engineer buddies taught me that trick. If you want a serious amount of compression (say, 8:1) you generally get less noise running two compressors at a lower ratio (say, 4:1 x2).

Alternatively, you can set one channel for mild compression (say, 2:1) and the other channel as a limiter (high ratio; high threshold) to protect your speakers from massive spikes without totally squashing your dynamics.

In addition, having the noise gates can be useful. That "gated" sound can make fingerstyle a bit more percussive sounding.

Emre

• Members

You might wanna think about doing some more research first...only one guy said he liked the 266, so saying that is the favorite isn't exactly correct. I prefer the DBX 1066 for a rack comp, but I use a pedal comp...the Demeter Opto Compulator. I think it's better than most rack comps, easier to use, and does it's job very well for a small pedal.

Check the reviews here before you go and spend your money...

http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html

• Members

The Demeter and EBS compressor pedals certainly get good press. However, I've always thought it was strange to have a compressor that didn't give me full control over all the relevant parameters. I got introduced to compressors in a studio environment, so I guess I've always leaned towards rackmount stuff.

On top of that, I've gotten into the habit of using two compressors in series: one set up for mild compression, the other set up more like a limiter. It's a trick I picked up from my buddies who work professionally in music production. A single rackspace unit with two independent channels of compression that can be daisy-chained makes for a tidier package than running two compressor pedals. I've also found that gating can be useful (especially when playing fingerstyle funk). A unit like the 266XL throws in a couple of usable noise gates for you to play with.

dbx compressors might not be the best in the market, however I have always found them to be quite musical. They're very transparent and hardly give you any unusable sounds or noise (even if you crank them pretty hard). On top of that, they're quite affordable.

Meh. I don't see how you can go wrong.

Emre

• Members

Not to the discerning ear. I had 2 of them in the ls rig. The gates work just fine. As a compressor they suck so bad, lug won't even endorse them.

Yeah but we're talking about live use don't forget, and by the time you throw in a few other factors such as:

ER-25.jpg

p35400h-e772228c7d2d091e78457793ab331941

ex93.jpg

and

beer.jpg

then the discerning ear becomes less discerning :wave:

• Moderators
Yeah but we're talking about live use don't forget, and by the time you throw in a few other factors such as:

ER-25.jpg

p35400h-e772228c7d2d091e78457793ab331941

ex93.jpg

and

beer.jpg

then the discerning ear becomes less discerning
:wave:

Not my ears. I don't drink at gigs. I also get board recordings. There's no difference between live and studio for me. It's either right or it isn't.:wave:

• Moderators
Yes, there is a big difference

Obviously there are other regularly gigging, experienced and discerning players here who would disagree with you. It's a shame that there are a multitude of bass players who don't give a crap that their live tone is compromised. I sought after tonal Nirvana and found it. That doesn't change nor should it whether it's live or Memorex. The dude who posted just before this one (Vinny D) mentioned owning a dbx160. That happens to be a defacto standard any decent rack compressor would be compared to. Sure it may be expensive, but after 20 years using the same compressor, how much does a really good compressor actually cost?

• Members

dbx makes good compressors. And you generally get what you pay for. The high end compressors are very nice and smooth, but for live use, you probably could never appreciate that, and the 166 or 266 series would be just fine. They are relatively inexpensive.

I have used the behringer models, and found them to be noisy and more difficult to achieve the sound you want (they are not transparent).

The Alesis model has a reputation of being noisy and not transparent as well. But they sold so many, and they are everywhere, with tons on the 'Bay for cheap. Don't be tempted.

• Moderators
But live tone is pretty much always going to be compromised irrespective of the compressor that you use. It's just not something that's worth getting precious about.

If that's the case, then why do guitards fuss about their live tone and sound men are more than accommodating to them? Some effects set up in the studio need to be completely changed for live purposes to achieve the same results. It's not difficult. It takes patience and desire. Precision can be everything in a really tight, hot band. If you think it doesn't really matter much, then why is it that I had a band come up to me after a show I played a couple weeks ago asking what my exact setup was. They wanted their bass player to get my tone. To say it's not noticeable just hasn't been my experience. I guess if you play punk or something along those lines, then it may not be necessary, but if you play rock, blues, groove and funk oriented rock, then you should consider rethinking your position. A really good compressor can assist you with going back and forth between slap, pick and finger techniques with little or no fuss as a poor compressor can affect slap technique in a negative way through too much pumping and loss of full signal range. Some people get the 3630 to work for their application. Bass is not one where it is reviewed highly, however.

• Members

But live tone is pretty much always going to be compromised irrespective of the compressor that you use. It's just not something that's worth getting precious about.

Sure it is...but that doesn't mean that I am going to go out and sound like crap (not saying you do either) when I can tweak a few knobs to adjust for the room during sound check. We always tip the sound guy before a gig too...and they usually come out on top for us.

Taking 5 minutes extra time to make sure everything is right is very worth it to me. Maybe the audience won't notice, but I will.

Archived