Darkstar vs. DiMarzio Model One

BigPigPeaches

• Members

So once I get my Rondo Stingray Copy, I'm planning on modding the hell out of it...initial thoughts are to rout out a neck position and drop in an additional pickup, wire it for stereo and biamp the thing.

My primary pickup choices are Hammond Darkstar and DiMarzio Model One (or Will Power). Obviously price is a big difference between the two, but won't be the deciding factor (although I find $200 a bit outrageous for the Darkstar). Everyone here likes to cream about the sound of the Darkstar, but I don't know that it would make such a big difference with a neck position pickup. Perhaps in the middle or bridge, the Darkstar difference would be more noticeable. But having never heard a Darkstar before, neck or otherwise, I have no idea.

So pitch in your votes and opinions.

• Moderators

Completely apples and oranges.

The darkstar is a BIG ass single coil pickup that goes for a wide spectrum.

The model one is a humbucker that is just womping low end.

You beat me to it. I can't imagine being stuck between those two extremes.

I'd just put a P pickup in it, disable the bridge pickup and call it a perfect bass. ;)

• Members

They are extremely different pickups, really. The WillPower neck-pickup can actually be quite nice and articulate, but it is muddier than the darkstar. For a bi-amp setup, I'm not sure that's a bad thing though, since you'll get articulation from the bridge pickup anyway. A lot cheaper as well.

• Members

It's typically a good idea to have a bass in your hands before you think about modding it. That is, unless you just want to turn it into a money vacuum.

The idea with modding cheap basses is to do it for cheap too.

The same idea applies for your pickups. To hesitate between these 2, you obviously have no idea about what kind of tone you're after. In this case it's better not to modify anything.

• Members

Sounds like a model one and a darkstar would be a good set up?

Maybe...but I'm planning on swapping out the stock pickup for a Seymour with a preamp (haven't decided which yet), and I'd hate to lose the 'Ray tone.

Interesting takes. I was under the impression that the Darkstar was kind of a one-trick pony.

• Members

Jazzy is kinda being a little harsh... but it does seem to be the case BPP, go and think long and hard about what you want out of the 'ray and also take into account what skills you have and how far developed they are to engage them to undertake what you are planning.

I write reams of lists to get my head straight about anything, let alone buying a bass... I have never modded a bass before though, just pulled one to bits... :p

Personally I would just start with simple bits like:

Re-finish any flaws the bass comes with

New pup

New pots

New bridge

New tuners

Get it all set up perfectly with all your new shiny bits and some nice strings

Then, once your bass is stable, then think about:

New pre

Routing and second pup choice

• Members

It's typically a good idea to have a bass in your hands before you think about modding it. That is, unless you just want to turn it into a money vacuum.

The same idea applies for your pickups. To hesitate between these 2, you obviously have no idea about what kind of tone you're after. In this case it's better not to modify anything.

Once again, you come through with a patronizing, condescending, and completely uninformative opinion that does nothing to answer my original question. But why should today be any different?

If you're going to mod a cheap bass with cheap parts, why mod it at all? Obviously the stock tuners are going to be crap, so replacing them with crap is the general idea?

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your concern over my financial and time expenditures. This is what I do for fun. Now if you'd care to voice an opinion about the original question, I will gladly listen.

Thanks for the input, Remus. I've built a few basses and guitars from scratch, so I'm comfy doing these mods. I may also strip the finish, re-top it with something catchy, and re-finish it.

• Members

My favorite position for a Dark Star is the traditional MM position. To have one in the neck and not the bridge would be torture to me.
:)

I can dig that. This would be the only bass I have that would be bi-ampable in this fashion. All of my other basses are either one-pickup or might as well be, because I usually find myself only using one pickup (my G&L 2500 is about permanently set on the middle pickup position).

It's looking like the Model One would be preferable for bi-amping, probably run it passive with the Billy Sheehan approach.

• Members

Once again, you come through with a patronizing, condescending, and completely uninformative opinion that does nothing to answer my original question. But why should today be any different?

If you're going to mod a cheap bass with cheap parts, why mod it at all? Obviously the stock tuners are going to be crap, so replacing them with crap is the general idea?

I'm not known to sugar coat my advice. I get better heard this way. It's also just my opinion, I don't pretend to hold the truth so give it much or little value as you wish.

You read my post just the way you plan to mod the bass. Quickly without really thinking about it.

Buying parts for cheap and buying cheap parts are 2 different things.

The original tuners may or not do a proper job, most likely they will. If they don't you want to find a good set of 2nd hand tuners that will work just fine.

As for pickups, changing them without knowing where you want to go sonically is indeed the best way to waste money.

Other members answered your former question already, I'm not going to double.

• Members

I'm not known to sugar coat my advice. I get better heard this way. It's also just my opinion, I don't pretend to hold the truth so give it much or little value as you wish.

You read my post just the way you plan to mod the bass. Quickly without really thinking about it.

The original tuners may or not do a proper job, most likely they will. If they don't you want to find a good set of 2nd hand tuners that will work just fine.

As for pickups, changing them without knowing where you want to go sonically is indeed the best way to waste money.

This is not the first time that you have offered "advice" that does not address the original question. Stating that you don't feel the need to double other people's advice does not absolve you of the fact that you offer advice that is unsolicited. I did not ask you what you thought of the modding idea, I asked for opinions on the pickups. I don't think I've ever posted on this board an opinion expressing regret over something I did to an instrument or a colossal mistake I've made in life. If you'd like to offer advice to other forumites to try to prevent them from making horrible mistakes, feel free. I would ask that in my case, just stick to the topic.

• Moderators

I think your advice is solid. Maybe I would have typed the same thing if I had more balls. In any case, this is the path I took for sarabella's Squier. It has some premium components found second hand, as well as some interesting original components I've made for very little in parts cost. It still is under $200 in total parts but kicks more ass than any bass I own.

I also know BPP knows what he's doing, for better or for worse.

• Members

Well, in an attempt to defuse this situation... even though I am tempted to just :snax: and watch :lol:

I would say that BPP, you didn't present your opening post in a very concise and methodical manner with a real solid plan in which your question slotted in. And as has already been pointed out, your subject of discussion, the pups, are quite wildly different... you have to use some empathy to understand that this might annoy someone like for instance... Jazz Ad... who I feel (at the risk of being pwned) reacted a little harshly for a mod, but without knowing about your previous experience and skills... is justified in part in the factual aspect of his response which helped inflamed this thread.

• Members

what would the purpose in replacing cheap parts with cheap parts be except for defeating the purpose for making the mods in the first place?:confused:

SX Wood and craftsmanship of the Instrument is excellnt! I would go as far to say right up there with a MIA fender but the electronics are sub par.

that is the reason for mods to the instrument in the first place; only most people choose to make replacements with OEM Fenfer PUPS or reasonable facssemalies to make the mod as simple as possible because they do not have the tools or knowledge that is required to do a major upgrade.

if dude has a plunge router and knows how to use it I see no rerason why he shouldnt be able to turn a 99 dollar Bass into a 799 dollar Bass.

I make these mods for people all the time and they don't have any problem paying the price to have it done.

even when buying a cheap SX to mod you still get what you pay for.

• Members

I think this thread needs Yubby.

Anyway, I'm tempted to mod a bass and make it completely over the top stupid.

Sticking a darkstar and a MM-style pup would be fun
:D

I can feel the lub already.

Well, you can mod any bass you want. Just make sure you don't spend a lot of money on it. That, apparently, is not "the idea". :cop:

Archived