Darkstar vs. DiMarzio Model One

BigPigPeaches

• Members

I can't let anyone say that SX wood and craftsmanship are great and get away with it. To compare it to MIA Fender is just a completely ignorant comment.

nothing at all ignorant about that comment

I like Fender as much as the next guy in fact I own one.

I will back up a little by admiting that the high end fenders wood selection is far superior to that of an SX but the craftsmanship is equally as good.

but for a budget guitar SX has a very good selection of wood.

• Moderators

nothing at all ignorant about that comment

I like Fender as much as the next guy in fact I own one.

I will back up a little by admiting that the high end fenders wood selection is far superior to that of an SX but the craftsmanship is equally as good.

but for a budget guitar SX has a very good selection of wood.

For a budget instrument SX has a very good body. But MIA beats it in wood selection, clean routing and finish. A primary problem area on the SX is the neck pocket, which invariably is at the wrong angle and is haphazardly spotted with finish, making the entire pocket surface inconsistent. Additionally, the routes under the pickguard on their P basses consistently are located too close to the screw postions which causes the screws to chip the wood into the cavitity and requires doweling in the cavity to provide something to screw the guard into.

• Members

For a budget instrument SX has a very good body. But MIA beats it in wood selection, clean routing and finish. A primary problem area on the SX is the neck pocket, which invariably is at the wrong angle and is haphazardly spotted with finish, making the entire pocket surface inconsistent. Additionally, the routes under the pickguard on their P basses consistently are located too close to the screw postions which causes the screws to chip the wood into the cavitity and requires doweling in the cavity to provide something to screw the guard into.

Hmm

any of the SX Guitars I have worked on was perfect that is one of the things that impressed me so much about SXI have worked mostly on Strats and Jazz models) I have always thought the routing to be pretty clean and absolutley no slop in the neck pockets... as a matter of fact the neck pockets are much tighter than the one on my Fender.

I have however worked on a couple of B stock SX instruments that were kind of slopy but that is why they are sold as B stock. Then I have seen a couple of MIAs that were {censored}:freak:

I have never experienced any problems with the pickguard screws; not to say that you have not. :idk:

Like I said I agree that MIA wood has a better wood selection.

Archived