Mango Bass Project

Brother Mango

• Members

Clay + template

I'm still working with ways to make an effective template/stencil. Arghhhhh!

IM000211.jpg

A thin piece of black clay with random colors of clay on top.

IM000217.jpg

Black clay on top, and then bake for 30min.

IM000218.jpg

Use a dremel to cut thru the black and into the random colored layer.

IM000220.jpg

Here are 2 of the many I've created in order to learn how to work with this medium.

A problem with these photos is that you can't see the glaze and sparkles very well.

IM000244.jpg

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got ideas on how to fasten this cover and quickly open it without a screwdriver.

But I'm still not comfortable with the medium. This is much closer to a finished version, though. Learning to compensate for the small amount of shrinkage during baking, and found a glaze that's very helpful. Even though the plastic is fairly firm, it's easy to scratch. The glaze minimizes that.

IM000247.jpg

Whatever I end up doing to the battery cover, I'm going to do to the control cavity's cover.

• Members

trying to fill the hole by the pickguard, i did not i got it of a copy ernieball site but it looks the bis! here's a pick of me playing it at band practice i love how much at a glance it starting to look like a sr5

syrusspics013.jpg

yeh waiting till i can afford the pickup and the headstock is annoying me as in the shape but i doubt i can change that?

it all square ideas? could i dremmel it down?

• Members

yeh waiting till i can afford the pickup and the headstock is annoying me as in the shape but i doubt i can change that?

it all square ideas? could i dremmel it down?

I'm sure you can dremel the headstock, but I think there are some areas of the headstock that you need to be careful of because they help strengthen the neck.

• Members

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

I had been cutting glass with a diamond tip dremel bit; essentially engraving deep into the glass until it's cut. That took HOURS!

Tonight I bought the flex-shaft, and a diamond WHEEL! Now I can cut glass all the live-long day. Damn! I might start making eyeglasses, glass teeth, glass shoes, glass cookware ... Ahh!!!!!!

• Members

trying to fill the hole by the pickguard, i did not i got it of a copy ernieball site but it looks the bis! here's a pick of me playing it at band practice i love how much at a glance it starting to look like a sr5

You know, rather than try to fill the cavity, which would be very hard to seamlessly match to the finished top, why not get a piece of stock pickguard material and cut out a new pickguard in that shape that covers the cavity hole, the new pickup, and matches up with the neck? That would be infinitly easier and look better than trying to fill in a cavity and have gaps around the pup and neck pocket.

• Members

You know, rather than try to fill the cavity, which would be very hard to seamlessly match to the finished top, why not get a piece of stock pickguard material and cut out a new pickguard in that shape that covers the cavity hole, the new pickup, and matches up with the neck? That would be infinitly easier and look better than trying to fill in a cavity and have gaps around the pup and neck pocket.

+2 He should trace it out the shape he needs and get one of those pickguard companies to make it for him. It'll look 600% better! :thu:

• Members
:thu:

That's great! At least it won't take all year to complete it. I was thinking, for the 12th fret you should do one the width of the two dots. That'd be cool!
:cool:

I'm definitely thinking about a design that will be a continuous piece across the 2 dots. Gotta think more about what that design should be.

• Members
I've got ideas on how to fasten this cover and quickly open it without a screwdriver.

But I'm still not comfortable with the medium. This is much closer to a finished version, though. Learning to compensate for the small amount of shrinkage during baking, and found a glaze that's very helpful. Even though the plastic is fairly firm, it's easy to scratch. The glaze minimizes that.

IM000247.jpg

Whatever I end up doing to the battery cover, I'm going to do to the control cavity's cover.

That cover looks cool, I hope it works.

• Members

indeed i thought bout that, the pup that im getting will fit straight in the hole ive got. but that a route i go down later

• Members
+2 He should trace it out the shape he needs and get one of those pickguard companies to make it for him. It'll look 600% better!
:thu:

that a route im gonna take later but i can't afford it rite now.

and have been toying with the idea of changing the neck on this bass? possibly to a five string ernie ball neck so it the rite shape? but it just an idea?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This isn't a complete update. But here are a few photos from the weekend Kindness & I spent with Guttermouth & his family. It was a great weekend!!

Details will follow.
This project is fun, and challenging. Seems like Guttermouth was challenged, as well. The first time we plugged in the bass and flipped the toggle to engage the envelope filter there was a high-pitched oscillating sound.

With pups, a preamp, an envelope filter, 3 9v batteries, and wires running every whichaway... how do in hell does a person troubleshoot that????

GM was able to figure out the problem, but there's a lot of work to do on this stage of the project. Gotta shield the cavities, and design a pickguard to cover the holes in the bass' swiss cheese body.

Photos ...
Details later.

IM000293.jpg

IM000295.jpg

IM000316.jpg

• Members
Whoooaaa! This bass is gonna be a monster!
:evil:

It needs a black pickguard btw.

This is a new twist in the project: a pickguard.

I went to Tennessee to the guttermouth estate, and expected to install everything from the back. However, with the existing holes in the back, there left few options to put the envelope filter circuit board in the back. Of the few options, routing the wires would have been even more of a mess than we ended up with.

Kindness, Guttermouth & I agreed that going thru the front would be best.

Now we need a pickguard. Unexpected challenge, but another creative opportunity.

• Members
Whoooaaa! This bass is gonna be a monster!
:evil:

It needs a black pickguard btw.

Damn this is difficult. With very few restrictions guiding a pickguard design, it's tough to narrow down the seemingly infinite ideas.

One thing to keep in mind: this step can't take too long. Right now, the bass can't be played with the open cavities. :cop: Getting a pickguard on this thing is a priority.

• Members

Damn this is difficult. With very few restrictions guiding a pickguard design, it's tough to narrow down the seemingly infinite ideas.

One thing to keep in mind: this step can't take too long. Right now, the bass can't be played with the open cavities.
:cop:
Getting a pickguard on this thing is a priority.

Post up a straight ahead view of the front of the bass and I'll see if I can come up with a design. :cool:

Archived