Mango Bass Project

Brother Mango

• Members

To celebrate having survived a hellish November, and after conversations w/ Kindness, I started this project: get a used bass & pimp it out.

Originally, I got this Peavey Forum that had been heavily modified by its previous owner. But the bass had problems ...

BassPhotos004.jpg

This Ibanez is the foundation of the project. The first step was to route a hole in the Ibanez, then move the Kahler whammy from the Peavey to the Ibanez.

The past couple of days I've been using a dremel to remove the sharp edges from the ends of the frets; and the dremel was also handy in removing gunk from the frets.

basstransplant001.jpg

Today, I got rid of that decal on the Ibanez that said "SoulFly." And I bought a dremel router attachment in anticipation of routing a hole to move the Seymour-Duncan pickup over from the Peavey.

A pickguard is going to be necessary to cover some of the holes in the body. So, the router attachment will be useful for making an impression in the bass body to inlay a pickguard that I have yet to design.

Other ideas:

Replace the tuners. The existing tuners may be fine, but I'm going with black hardware to match the Kahler bridge and the strap buttons. (The Peavey had black strap buttons so, those were moved to the Ibanez yesterday.)

Lots-o-fun!!!

basstransplant006.jpg

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You scare me with that dremel...
:D

This dremel has turned my life around!

Cut dowels

Cut & shape a pickguard

Put the sharp edge back on a putty knife

Buff out scratches

Sand edges

Clean frets

No wonder my life was in shambles before the dremel showed up.

Elect me President, and every person in the U.S. will be issued a dremel, set of attachments and safety goggles!

• Members

Personally I like the soapbar on the Ibanez but I'm really just a fan of the soapbar shape.

If I had that bass I'd probably throw an EMG soapbar in there and make up a black pickguard in a Les Paul Junior-ish shape.
:)

Why EMG? How do you think they would sound--in contrast to the Seymour-Duncan?

I'm not familiar with EMG but am open to ideas.

I liked the sound of the Peavey with the S-D MM pup (the bite and agressive tone), and since I've already got it, I figured I'd just move it over. But that idea isn't engraved in stone.

• Members

Why EMG? How do you think they would sound--in contrast to the Seymour-Duncan?

I'm not familiar with EMG but am open to ideas.

I liked the sound of the Peavey with the S-D MM pup (the bite and agressive tone), and since I've already got it, I figured I'd just move it over. But it's not engraved in stone.

I've found them to be a tad brighter with more presence. I wired up a bass for a friend and he had bought some nice EMG soaps for it. These ones have the ability to "split", so you get a jazz single coil sound and a humbucker sound. Pretty awesome! He had me wire it up with an Aggy OBP-3 pre. Mmmmm.... :love:

You could always sell the SD, either on here or on eBay etc.?

Oh btw Nate, I'll have to take measurements of those tuners for you so you can check. :)

EDIT: Also, it looked to me like the EMG would be a direct drop in without any routing. You'd have to check the measurements of course. ;)

• Members

I've found them to be a tad brighter with more presence. I wired up a bass for a friend and he had bought some nice EMG soaps for it. These ones have the ability to "split", so you get a jazz single coil sound and a humbucker sound. Pretty awesome! He had me wire it up with an Aggy OBP-3 pre. Mmmmm....
:love:

You could always sell the SD, either on here or on eBay etc.?

Oh btw Nate, I'll have to take measurements of those tuners for you so you can check.
:)

EDIT: Also, it looked to me like the EMG would be a direct drop in without any routing. You'd have to check the measurements of course.
;)

My OLP has the OBP3 and the stock pickup. Sounds INCREDIBLE. That's an option worth considering for the Ibanez: leave the existing pickup and add an OBP3.

That option would only require drilling holes for the knobs. There's already enough room in the electronics cavity for the OBP3 and the 2 9V batteries.

• Moderators

My OLP has the OBP3 and the stock pickup. Sounds INCREDIBLE. That's an option worth considering for the Ibanez: leave the existing pickup and add an OBP3.

That option would only require drilling holes for the knobs. There's already enough room in the electronics cavity for the OBP3 and the 2 9V batteries.

This is a good idea if you follow the path I suggested that you just make one change at a time and live with the bass to see what's still missing. The stock pickup might be incredible with the OBP3. Or it might suck. :idk:

• Members

As long as you've got the Dremmel warmed up, why not route out a space for a quick change battery box? There is nothing better than a 5 second battery change without having to pull off a cavity cover.

• Members

As long as you've got the Dremmel warmed up, why not route out a space for a quick change battery box? There is nothing better than a 5 second battery change without having to pull off a cavity cover.

Excellent idea!

But let's take it a step further:

Partition the existing cavity, and make a new cover that will allow access to the batteries with 1 or 2 screws, or some kind of latch.

• Members

Excellent idea!

But let's take it a step further:

Partition the existing cavity, and make a new cover that will allow access to the batteries with 1 or 2 screws, or some kind of latch.

Nah, don't use a screwed on cover, use a flip box. You can literally flip it open, shove in a new battery, flip it closed and start playing. Seconds. Here's what I'm talking about, sold at Warmoth:

batterybox_1.jpg

• Members

This is a good idea if you follow the path I suggested that you just make one change at a time and live with the bass to see what's still missing. The stock pickup might be incredible with the OBP3. Or it might suck.
:idk:

The 3-way tone switch has to go.

I'm open to either, changing the pickup or adding a preamp. Whichever I do, I'll be pretty much committed to it:

Route a hole for the Seymour-Duncan

Purchase & install the OBP3

Upgrade to an active pickup that will fit in the existing hole.

As for now, the only thing that's definite is the 3-way switch is going away.

Until that get's sorted out, the cosmetic stuff is relatively simple: gotta find quality tuners that are black in color.

• Members

Yes, but that box goes through the control box cover into the existing compartment. I've seen it done and I like the results.

You could do that, or you could route a seperate cavity just for the battery box. All my basses with that box have it routed into it's own spot outside the main control cavity, and it really opens things up and works great. Obviously cutting the box into the existing control plate would be much less extensive and simple to install, as well as be reversible. Either way it's installed those things rule.:cool:

• Members

I like the flip-top battery box that can fit thru the control box cover!!!

Thanks L1329 & Kindness!!!

I should add that there is a difference in the single or double box. The single 9V box is secured by screws through the bottom of the box, that screw into the bass' body wood. The 18V double box has four corner screws on the top side that secure to either a cutout in the control cover plate, or into the wood with it's own seperate route hole.:cool:

...and check out those locking tuners!;)

Archived