Playing with a keyboard player......

sludgebass69

• Members

....and no, I'm not talking about being intimate with DRF!:freak:

Who plays in a rock cover band with keys, and what does he (or she) play in songs where there aren't normally keys? Our keyboardist is a hell of a player, but I feel like he's trying to add too much to songs where there aren't even keys and is helping create a big wall of white noise in the process.....It could be the 2 half stacks, bass, drums, keys, and 4 vocals are just overwhelming my senses in our small practice space.....:idk:

• Members

In a Rock band, keys have to adopt the "less is more" attitude. I wouldn't have a problem with them adding keys to almost everything. But they have to learn to use the volume control.

You don't need much volume at all to fill in the sound.

If they have a problem with that... then maybe you need to find a different keyboardist.

Personally, I can't tolerate "rockstars" who always have to be in the spotlight. If it were me, I'd tell him to turn down, or grab his {censored} and go. At the same time, I would make an effort to have some keyboard-oriented music in the sets so he/she wouldn't feel like a bastard step-child.

• Members

WTF is it with so many 'musicians' that they don't LISTEN TO THE MUSIC as they are playing??? Anyone who's listening knows when not to play; anyone who doesn't has no business calling him/herself a musician.

I used to know this chick singer/pianist. She was a GREAT example of what one ought do. She'd sing. She'd play piano, except when the song didn't call for it. Then she'd play tamborine, or cowbell, or clave, or maracas... anything that could contribute to the music. If none of the above would work, she'd play nothing at all.

If there's no musical contribution you can make on a given number, go have a seat and a glass of water in the wings and enjoy the performance for a few minutes! What's so difficult about that??

• Members

WTF is it with so many 'musicians' that they don't LISTEN TO THE MUSIC as they are playing??? Anyone who's
listening
knows when not to play; anyone who doesn't has no business calling him/herself a
musician

I used to know this chick singer/pianist. She was a GREAT example of what one ought do. She'd sing. She'd play piano, except when the song didn't call for it. Then she'd play tamborine, or cowbell, or clave, or maracas... anything that could
contribute
to the music. If none of the above would work, she'd play nothing at all.

If there's no musical contribution you can make on a given number, go have a seat and a glass of water in the wings and enjoy the performance for a few minutes! What's so difficult about that??

I think someone needs a little nap.

• Members

At the auditions for my current band a guy arrived with some scaffolding... i thought he was the drummer. Turns out he was the keyboardist with a set-up fit for Wembley stadium. He hadn't heard of almost any popular songs from the last 40years, which was worrying.

After 3 rehearsals he learned only one song and overplayed on it. On all others he just fiddled about aimlessly, even missing chord changes, and played sound effects. I told the guitarist "why don't i just do this then?" Turned on my envelope filter, chorus, distortion and gain and just whacked my bass indiscriminately to make a ridiculous noise. He got the point and the keyboard player never came back.

I can see a good, tasteful keyboard player being an asset. Same as anyone - I'm sure a lot of guitarists, bassists and drummers overplay and have a bad attitudes/ questionable personalities too. I just don't like the crossover point between bass and keyboard, it needs a lot of work and understanding - possibly even separate jams just for the two of you if you really have to have the guy in - but for cover bands i can't see it being essential. Now I cover some melodic keyboard parts by playing harmonics, or the guitarist plays the part or we leave space.

My theory is if it doesnt work with one guitar, bass and drums, its not worth the effort *in a lot of cases*. Especially in amateur cover bands where everyone has day jobs, family, and other things limiting the time they can all meet up - more people = more difficult to arrange a time to get together, more opinions, more delays, more ways to split the little pot of cash.

If its just a matter of volume I'm sure he wont mind being asked to turn down, offer to stand him next to the PA speakers or give him a monitor so he can still hear himself properly.

If the guy drives a van, owns a PA, prints all the posters, books decent gigs, and can get a crowd to see your band - then make sure you dont piss him off!

• Members

I think someone needs a little nap.

No, he was dead accurate about players who are not mature enough to learn when and when NOT to play.

Keyboard players don't have to play all the time. Neither do guitarists. Neither do bassists. Neither do drummers. Watch an orchestra and point any single musician who is playing 100% of the time - there isn't any.

• Members

A volume pedal .. is a must for a keyboard guy. Typically the best way to slide into a mix and lay low where there isnt a keyboard part in the cover.. is to first , just use a single note in the bass,, and stay out of the base players way and use your right hand to do simple comps with a B3 patch. If you are playing with guitards that suck every inch of sonic space.... its almost impossable for a keyboard player to survive in that environment. In that case i suggest they just load out and quit the band. When you have players that cant share a mix, you are playing with rookies... and you wont live long enough to train them. rat

• Members

I try to stay out of the way....Theres a few songs we do (and especially as a sub player) that do not have keyboards on the recordings but I try to find appropriate timbres to the songs to compliment...another words, if its a ZZ Top song, a Hammond B3 sound just holding down the background is ( I think) appropriate....it may not be fun to just pad a B3 and stay out of the way but I always try and play for the song, not for myself or my own ego, and I know its the right thing to do......... theres a couple of songs I dont play at all and just sing...and then theres "Tic Tac Toe" by Kyper (actually, on that one, I have all the parts to Yes "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" sampled - that song is a one-finger fest for me :rolleyes:), "Funky Cold Madina" by Ton Loc, and "Honky Tonk Woman" by The Rolling Stones that I'll actually play a sampled guitar patch...Once again, not personally fun but the right thing to do........

• Members

I try to stay out of the way....Theres a few songs we do (and especially as a sub player) that do not have keyboards on the recordings but I try to find appropriate timbres to the songs to compliment...another words, if its a ZZ Top song, a Hammond B3 sound just holding down the background is ( I think) appropriate....it may not be fun to just pad a B3 and stay out of the way but I always try and play for the song, not for myself or my own ego, and I know its the right thing to do......... theres a couple of songs I dont play at all and just sing...and then theres "Tic Tac Toe" by Kyper, "Funky Cold Madina" by Ton Loc, and "Honky Tonk Woman" by The Rolling Stones that I'll actually play a sampled guitar patch...Once again, not personally fun but the right thing to do........

This is all one more reason why you're so damn sexy.:love:

• Members

I play in a top 40 country band with keys. Our guy does not only the appropriate keyboard stuff, but also steel guitar, banjo, and fiddle with his keys. But with rock there's just not that much extra stuff going on all the time. Does he play guitar too. If so he could do the rhythm guitar parts.

• Members

I'm lucky. My keys guy doubles on guitar, so he has a better sense of dynamics.

Keyboards are my primary instrument. I am also a decent bass player and can play decent rhythm guitar. In my last band, I was playing LH bass plus keyboard, with the occasional bass guitar duties.

• Members

Around here, finding a decent keyboard player is like pulling hens teeth. Not like the 80's when you could take your pick.

My rock band last year auditioned a keyboard player. He was fantastic! Knew when to play and when not to. Played rhythm guitar and had a great voice. He had fun, but told us he couldn't afford to lug his gear around and become part of a 5 piece cover band - too much money to be made playing solo or in a midi-duo. :mad:

Archived