Norwegian Wood

eoinwalsh

• Members

It's a special guage he uses. It's not special, but basically it can be accomplished the same way someone else mentioned, buying a pack of strings for a six string bass and basically discarding the thicker lower strings. I've done this with my 5 string on a very frequent occasion, formal name for his configuration is called a "tenor" bass.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

It's a special guage he uses. It's not special, but basically it can be accomplished the same way someone else mentioned, buying a pack of strings for a six string bass and basically discarding the thicker lower strings. I've done this with my 5 string on a very frequent occasion, formal name for his configuration is called a "tenor" bass.

discarding the lower strings? but wouldnt that leave DGBE?

i'm presuming a 6 string bass is tuned EADGBE, like a guitar, or does it have a different tuning?

• Members

discarding the lower strings? but wouldnt that leave DGBE?

i'm presuming a 6 string bass is tuned EADGBE, like a guitar, or does it have a different tuning?

Well, it's not a guitar, it's a bass - so the standards by which it are tune by are a bit different, and more practical as a non-chordal instrument is concerned. If the reason you get a 6 string bass is to use guitar like chord voicings on the bass, you may tune it like a guitar, but otherwise, it's BEADGC. It's tuned entirely in fourths going up. BEADGC is the only way, unless you're actually a competent player who can justify not doing it that way. At the end of the day it's what you play and how you play, and not what you play ON and how you play 'it'.

But either way, BEADGC is the legit way. It's not like I'm pulling a random tuning out of my ass, so I hope no smart asses tell me otherwise:p

• Members

i tuned my bass up the way wooten does on norwegian wood. but now the strings are so high off the fretboard that i cant tap the tune anymore.

Advice?

Why not just play it in a different key?:confused:

Archived