Help! Frozen Bass in Canuckland!

garytees

• Members

Loaned a bass to a fella who was recording at my guitar players studio and he returned it to me 30 minutes ago and it was frozen. He left it in his van overnight and it got down to -37 celcius (-34 farenheiht) last night. Gave him {censored} and got his cell # and told him if it's ruined he would have to pay for it (he's a school teacher, duh?) I promptly put it back in the SKB case and I won't open it again until tommorow at the same time. It's a Mexi Standard P. Did I do the right thing with the bass? I know, I should have wacked him over the head with it, seriously, anybody have similar experience with a frozen instrument?

• Members

Thanks guys, that puts me at ease a little. It's in a cool part of the house with duct tape over the latches so no one opens it accidentally. At least I'll have a head start if anyone goes for it " Hey, what's in the case...rip...hey, leave that thing alone!"

• Members

-34 is damn cold, but, I have a USA jazz 5-er that I bought pretty cheap. The body was mint, but the finish had been sanded off the back of the neck. At the time I bought it, I practiced in a broiling hot storage building. I figured the rapid temp change would trash a neck, and I would replace it with a moses graphite. 6 - 7 years later, the neck is still fine. Sometimes I bring it inside, sometimes I leave it in the practice shack or the garage. That guitar has seen temps from 0 to over 100, I am still waiting for it to warp and buy that graphite neck.

• Members

Well, I opened the case today, almost 24 hours later and the bass is OK. Thanks again everyone and I'm gigging with it tonight in about 4 hours at the local country & western bar!

Wait....all this worry and precaution and your just using it to play country and western?!?! :p:D

• Members

Wait....all this worry and precaution and your just using it to play country and western?!?!
:p:D

I'm filling in. The leader of the band wants his bass player to have weekends off (they play Tues-Sat) as that's when he drinks too much. My regular gig is blues/old R&R at another bar, the next 2 weeks. P-bass is great for both.

Archived