John McCain - the record

chris-dax

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rudy G. is probably the best R candidate, and it would be funny as hell to see his ass in the Oval Office, but I don't think he stands a hope in hell of either nomination or election. Middle 'Merika won't vote for no Eye-tal-eeyan, and the big cities won't go Republican.

Wha???? You're buying into the "911!" "911!" "Terrorists!" bull.... We are doomed...not to mention his mafia-ness...Godfather Rudy!

• Members

2. He'll still lose New York. It's *that* Democratic. Hell, why do you think Hillary chose there of all places for her Senate bid?

I see Rudy winning NY...he is considered a god there. As far as middle america, you have to ask if they would go for Rudy against Hillary/Obama. I think they would.

• CMS Author

I see Rudy winning NY...he is considered a god there. As far as middle america, you have to ask if they would go for Rudy against Hillary/Obama. I think they would.

He's loved in the city, by the average citizen. Cops, firemen, most city emp's hate him. He's not loved in the rest of the state, because he's from "the city", and if he doesn't carry Buffalo, Rochester and Albany, he loses the state for sure.

He's not going to get enough (any?) swing votes against Hillary/Obama. Bush has alienated fence-sitting Repub's a-plenty, and he needs as many as he can get.

I really hope I'm wrong, as I said he's my fav candidate. Dude would kick ass. But I really don't think he'll get the chance. Middle America seems to be split between Huckabee and McCain. I mean, who saw McC going anywhere?

• CMS Author

You're joking right?

No he isn't. Please, your guy is an also-ran. The sooner you stop the denial, the easier the let-down. I'm not trying to be insulting. Paul is not a factor beyond being a spoiler.

Not that it's proof, but today at work I brought up the election. Along the way someone mentioned Ron Paul. Two people answered almost in stereo, "Oh that wack-o??" One recounted his "Meet the Press" appearance and wasn't very complimentary.

He needs to moderate his persona. "But he won't compromise his ideals"....yes, I can hear that already. And he won't get elected.

• Moderators

I don't think eye or hair color come in to play.

You figure it was a fluke that he didn't bother to campaign Iowa, and not much in NH, which is a similar demographic?

NH is far from a similar demographic, otherwise the Huckster would have shown better in NH. Is the reason that half the towns around here have Italian Fests, because we all like to sit around and get fat on "Eye-tal-eeyan" food or could it be because of the large populations of Italians located within them?

The fact that Rudy wasn't interested in campaigning in Iowa suggests that he isn't interested in being the president of every American or that he simply doesn't have enough funds to commit to races in every state and needs to use the money in bigger states with more moderate to liberal Republican populations. He'll struggle in Middle 'Merika because of being a liberal Republican who is a nobody without 9/11 and has very little knowledge of how to run an economy. None of these issues has anything to do with him being an "Eye-tal-eeyan." :)

• Members

I'm surprised more Democrats don't support him.

I'm a democrat. Of the Republican candidates, McCain is the only one I like somewhat. I disagree with his war stance, and I still am pissed about his fiasco in Baghdad (he wanted to show how "safe" it was, so he went to a market place with a full armed guard, helicopters, etc., and kept them far enough away so it looked like he was wandering around the market place with minimal security).

Still, We could do worse for president. If it comes to a Hillary/McCain election, I'm gonna have some tough decisions to make.

• CMS Author

Nothing of which has ANYTHING to do with him being Italian. NH is far from a similar demographic, otherwise the Huckster would have shown better in NH. Is the reason that half the towns around here have Italian Fests, because we all like to sit around and get fat on "Eye-tal-eeyan" food or could it be because of the large populations of Italians located within them?

The fact that Rudy wasn't interested in campaigning in Iowa suggests that he isn't interested in being the president of every American or that he simply doesn't have enough funds to commit to races in every state and needs to use the money in bigger states with more moderate to liberal Republican populations. He'll struggle in Middle 'Merika because being a liberal Republican who is a nobody without 9/11 and has very little knowledge of how to run an economy. None of these issues has anything to do with him being an "Eye-tal-eeyan."
:)

I invite you to do some research on the state of affairs that was the NYC economy before his election, and where they were during his term. He knows how to run an economy.

The Middle States aren't exactly Little Italy, even if your corner of it is. He's Italian, he's Catholic, and most of all, he's a New Yorker. This is not a hat-trick in the middle states.

• Members

No he isn't. Please, your guy is an also-ran. The sooner you stop the denial, the easier the let-down. I'm not trying to be insulting. Paul is not a factor beyond being a spoiler.

Not that it's proof, but today at work I brought up the election. Along the way someone mentioned Ron Paul. Two people answered almost in stereo, "Oh that wack-o??" One recounted his "Meet the Press" appearance and wasn't very complimentary.

He needs to moderate his persona. "But he won't compromise his ideals"....yes, I can hear that already. And he won't get elected.

Whether he gets the nomination or not, he opened up the eyes for the youth in future generations. He has given us ideals that are going to shape the way we think and vote from here on. When we become the main demographic, and we start voting those that we like at the local levels it will gravitate up to the national level and we will eventually change policy.

Also, Dr. Paul's strategy is to wait rather than blow all his money early on. I mean look at the other Republican candidates, they don't have lots of money (except Romney cause he is $$). When super Tuesday comes, Ron Paul will have over $20 million for advertising.

• Members

What's going to help John Mccain in Michigan is the fact that the Republican primary is being held before the Democrat's primary in that state. That'll mean more independents will be voting Republican, most likely, and they are overwhelmingly for McCain.

Democrat Primary is held the same day as the Republican Primary in Michigan.

Clinton is the only one of the three leaders on the ticket in Michigan because Obama and Edwards both followed Democratic Party instructions to boycott Michigan's Primary because the State moved the date up to Jan. 14th, or tomorrow.

McCain WILL be helped by Clinton being such a polarizing figure in politics. Many people that I know won't vote for her because of her, not because of any position she takes.

Just needed to clear that up a bit.....

• Moderators

The Middle States aren't exactly Little Italy, even if your corner of it is. He's Italian, he's Catholic, and most of all, he's a New Yorker. This is not a hat-trick in the middle states.

Um. Illinois is a middle state. As an evangelical, I didn't have a date in high school with anyone that wasn't Catholic. There were 2 Catholic High Schools here until they decided to unify because the athletics would be better. There is a large system of private Catholic grade schools here. This isn't just my area. Do some historical research. Large portions of middle 'Merika were first explored by French Catholics and later settled by them. Check out Wisconsin. Huge populations of Catholics (and a liberal state.) If Catholics weren't prevalent in fly-over country, what the hell is Creighton University doing in Omaha, Nebraska? Why is Notre Dame in Indiana? You're confusing Middle 'Merika with the South.

Alverno College Milwaukee,WI

Ancilla College Donaldson,IN

Aquinas College Grand Rapids,MI

Avila University Kansas City,MO

Benedictine College Atchison,KS

Benedictine University Lisle,IL

Briar Cliff University Sioux City,IA

Calumet College of Saint Joseph Whiting,IN

Cardinal Stritch University Milwaukee,WI

Clarke College Dubuque,IA

College of Mount St. Joseph Cincinnati,OH

College of Saint Scholastica Duluth,MN

College of St. Benedict / St. John's University Saint Joseph,MN

College of St. Catherine Saint Paul,MN

Creighton University Omaha,NE

Divine Word College Epworth,IA

Dominican University River Forest,IL

Edgewood College Madison,WI

Fontbonne College Saint Louis,MO

Franciscan University of Steubenville Steubenville,OH

Holy Cross College Notre Dame,IN

John Carroll University University Heights,OH

Lewis University Romeoville,IL

Loras College Dubuque,IA

Lourdes College Sylvania,OH

Loyola University ChicagoChicago,IL

Marian College Indianapolis,IN

Marian College of Fond du Lac Fond du Lac,WI

Marquette University Milwaukee,WI

Mercy College of Northwest Ohio Toledo,OH

Mount Marty College Yankton,SD

Mount Mercy College Cedar Rapids,IA

Newman University Wichita,KS

Notre Dame College of Ohio Cleveland,OH

Presentation College Aberdeen,SD

Quincy University Quincy,IL

Rockhurst University Kansas City,MO

Saint Joseph's College Rensselaer,IN

Saint Louis University St. Louis,MO

Saint Mary College Leavenworth,KS

Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College Saint Mary-of-the-Woods,IN

Saint Mary's College Notre Dame,IN

Saint Mary's University of Minnesota Winona,MN

Saint Norbert College DePere,WI

Saint Xavier University Chicago,IL

Siena Heights University Adrian,MI

Silver Lake College Manitowoc,WI

St. Ambrose University Davenport,IA

University of Dayton Dayton,OH

University of Mary Bismarck,ND

University of Notre Dame Notre Dame,IN

University of Saint Thomas Saint Paul,MN

University of St. Francis Joliet,IL

Ursuline College Pepper Pike,OH

Viterbo University LaCrosse,WI

Walsh University North Canton,OH

Xavier University Cincinnati,OH

There are lots more. I didn't even get the little ones including in Nebraska and Kansas. Let alone in the healthy population in NE Iowa.

• Members

The fact that he is a New Yorker has more against him than his being Catholic or Italian in Middle America.

The East and the South were settled by Protestants. Middle America was Catholic. West was Satanists.

:lol:

• Members

How can anyone even call themselves a Republican right now??

Because most of them are Republicans. They vote and act in accordance with their party's principals.

Some of those in public office, on the other hand...

Archived