Where are the Maiden fans?

guitargod0dmw

• Members

I picked up the Rock in Rio DVD over the weekend. It's really good! I've seen them a bunch of times, and I've seen a good amount of live footage as well. This is the only DVD that really captures them IMO. Great set, insane crowd, just killer. They're really tight too...which I've always found Maiden to be a little sloppy in the live department. Not horrible, but noticeable.

Watch it if you get the chance.

Steve Harris rules!

• Members

I agree about Paul. The songs are good, but I'm not a fan of his singing. It limited the band I feel.

What about Blaze Bayley? He had a weird voice for them too.

Bruce has one of the best voices in metal ever. He is certainly in my top 5 of singers...metal or not. His range is ridiculous! But I also like Ripper Owens. His stuff with Iced Earth...especially The Glorious Burden...is awesome!

• Members

Up the HCBF !

up_the_basste.JPG

I really like them. Saw them two times live with bailey. Less good than with bruce, but still great.

I saw the Rio DVD and i must say it's not my favorite. Not about quality or playing, but about guitarists.

For my taste, since they are 3 guitard, they lose a little of tighness in the sound. Rythm guitars are less cutting edge than they were two. It's not about Smith playing, but about the fact too much guitar is edge ennemy IMHO.

That said, i still like very much. But i can't wait about next "Live after death" DVD version :evil:

• Members

Maiden rules!

Sadly, when I finally got to see them live, they sucked ass.

I saw them in 06' and they were great. I wasn't a fan of the set...they pretty much played their whole new album and a few old songs. I'd like to see them in Europe, or someplace where they actually want to be. I've read interviews where they have said the US isn't their favorite place to tour. They'd rather be playing huge gigs, like Rio than play at a 15K seat place here...

• Members

I agree about Paul. The songs are good, but I'm not a fan of his singing. It limited the band I feel.

What about Blaze Bayley? He had a weird voice for them too.

Bruce has one of the best voices in metal ever. He is certainly in my top 5 of singers...metal or not. His range is ridiculous! But I also like Ripper Owens. His stuff with Iced Earth...especially The Glorious Burden...is awesome!

I agree with Super Bass that Rob is meant to be with Priest, but Ripper DOES have a killer voice. Have you heard Framing Armageddon? I think it's even better than Glorious Burden.

Now Matt is coming back to Iced Earth, which is awesome. :thu:

• Members

...they pretty much played their whole new album and a few old songs.

I saw them that same tour. They stopped selling beer at Meadowlands/Continental because the crowd was getting so upset. I don't know how they could go through with it. Didn't they notice the difference? They would play the new songs, and the crowd was appreciative, but when they launched into Hallowed Be Thy Name and Iron Maiden, the place went nuts.

One of my friends was so annoyed, he started eating a salad. A SALAD... at a metal show.

• Members

They've got another tour in 2008. Not all of the dates have been released yet, but so far there is only one in the US! It's in LA too...

I seriously hope they plan on coming back this way. It's called the "Somewhere Back in Time Tour" to focus on 80's era hits! They're even going to use Powerslave era set designs.

• Members

Huge Maiden fan here. It took my a while to get into them, but quickly developed an appreciation for their music and Steve Harris. I have their entire collection and always have at least one of their albums in the cd changer. I just bought the "Death on the Road DVD" It is awesome. Just as great as the Rock In Rio DVD. I have not had the pleasure of seeing them live yet.

• Members

One of my friends was so annoyed, he started eating a salad. A SALAD... at a metal show.

Hilarious!

I've loved this band for years, and somehow I've never seen them live. I tend to shy away from large venue shows. This is a band I should probably make an exception for.

• Members

I've loved this band for years, and somehow I've never seen them live. I tend to shy away from large venue shows. This is a band I should probably make an exception for.

If you want to see them, you will never see them any other way. Supposedly, the Rock in Rio show had over 250,000 in attendance!!!

Granted we wouldn't have anything that big in the US...except for the original Woodstock.

• Members

If you want to see them, you will never see them any other way. Supposedly, the Rock in Rio show had over 250,000 in attendance!!!

Granted we wouldn't have anything that big in the US...except for the original Woodstock.

That's true. Metal shows, in particular, don't draw that well here in the States. A lot of metal bands that play 5,000 seat clubs here in the US go over to Europe and play to 50,000 seat stadiums full of people. Heck, Manowar is pretty big in Europe and they don't even bother touring in the states. I know that Manowar is about as cheesy as it gets, but they do make a point about how different the audiences are across the pond.

Anyway, I've got to see Maiden on their next tour. They won't be around forever. I got a chance to see them touring in support of "Brave New World." I was totally blown away by Bruce Dickinson. He's a 50-something old man running around like a crazed teenager, all the while belting out the vocals with amazing breath support and range. In addition to his famous upper register (which he used without hesitation), he can also sing incredibly low. He hit a solid low E when I saw him (my friend who sat next to me has perfect pitch).

Archived