Bassgirl9 to the pink angora phone, bring the Kleenex

Renfield

• Members

I saw that yesterday, was sad to read that she had (long ago) lost her lawsuit against "Elvira", who was a
total
ripoff (and nowhere near as good).

Absolutely. Elvira is great and all, and hanging it up now and using a reality show to find her successor no less. :rolleyes:

But seriously, she so totally and blatantly ripped her off. Vampira took an obscure Charles Addams cartoon and created her character, years later the Addams family is born and Morticia is introduced to the world, bearing way too much resemblance. I doubt there is a coincidence that the Addams family has the same name as this cartoonist, and Vampira may well have had a lot to do with that.

• Moderators

Absolutely. Elvira is great and all, and hanging it up now and using a reality show to find her successor no less.
:rolleyes:

But seriously, she so totally and blatantly ripped her off. Vampira took an obscure Charles Addams cartoon and created her character, years later the Addams family is born and Morticia is introduced to the world, bearing way too much resemblance. I doubt there is a coincidence that the Addams family has the same name as this cartoonist, and Vampira may well have had a lot to do with that.

No, no coincidence at all. The Addams Family was based on the series of cartoons by Charles Addams. The opening scene of the Addams Family Movie is taken directly form one of the cartoons. I don't know that Vampira had anything to do with it at all.

• Members

No, no coincidence at all. The Addams Family was based on the series of cartoons by Charles Addams. The opening scene of the Addams Family Movie is taken directly form one of the cartoons. I don't know that Vampira had anything to do with it at all.

True enough. But Vampira took her inspiration from the original cartoon, and she predated the Addams Family TV show by a good decade. Now one could argue that Elvira also took her inspiration from the same source, but if you look at the original Addams family that Charles Addams drew, well, I'll let you be the judge as to how similar Vampira is to the original Morticia he drew. Personally, I only see a very little, and not in the characteristic ways (attire, cleavage, etc).

7078655.jpg

Then there is this entry from Wkipedia:

"In the 1980s, Nurmi was asked by KHJ-TV to revive her Vampira character for television. She worked closely with the producers of the new show and was to get an executive producer credit, but Nurmi eventually declined their proposal. KHJ-TV continued with the show and changed the name of their host to Elvira."

Cassandra Petersen was hired to play Elvira, and the character was born. Hired to play her after Vampira backed out of the role she was asked to create. Such a shame that the lawsuit went the way it did. So unfair.

• Moderators

True enough. But Vampira took her inspiration from the original cartoon, and she predated the Addams Family TV show by a good decade. Now one could argue that Elvira also took her inspiration from the same source, but if you look at the original Addams family that Charles Addams drew, well, I'll let you be the judge as to how similar Vampira is to the original Morticia he drew. Personally, I only see a very little, and not in the characteristic ways (attire, cleavage, etc).

7078655.jpg

Then there is this entry from Wkipedia:

"In the 1980s, Nurmi was asked by KHJ-TV to revive her Vampira character for television. She worked closely with the producers of the new show and was to get an executive producer credit, but Nurmi eventually declined their proposal. KHJ-TV continued with the show and changed the name of their host to Elvira."

Cassandra Petersen was hired to play Elvira, and the character was born. Hired to play her after Vampira backed out of the role she was asked to create. Such a shame that the lawsuit went the way it did. So unfair.

Well, now you're talking about the Vampira/Elvira thing, and you make a very strong case.

Archived