Portable bass amp?

Mikeo

• Members

I have a UK made Ashdown ABM 500C 4x10 combo that sounds great. I bought it sight un-seen. un-heard off, about 7 years ago or so when all ashdown stuff was made in the UK.

In the next few months or so. I want something more portable than the Ashdown, as it weighs in at about 100-110lbs.

Now there's not a lot of good music shops here in my area and I'll probably need to do an online order.

I have before tired Eden stuff, which was very nice and un colored in tone.

Very different than the Ashdown, which reminded me of old Ampeg SVT stuff.

I am currently looking at an Eden Eden DC112XLT 1x12 and the Aguilar AG 500SC-112C 1x12, which are kind of reasonable to lift and move.

I'm not a huge fan of SWR stuff, as it's a bit thinner in tone than the Ashdown, I tried that to back 7 years ago.

I am in the processes of traveling to a local GC to test drive Markbass combos. I actually never heard of em, but I'll give em a try.

I want a combo, and not a head and cab, which obviously give me more versatility.

I have no idea what might be better for warm classic rock tones with a Jazz vibe.

The Eden and Aguilar both look fine, other recommendations would be appreciated. Any one play either Eden or Aguilar stuff and love it. Like I said the Ashdown I have is the bass, but it's a 2 man job to haul it.

I will be using either a Fender American Jazz Standard or a Fender American Jazz Deluxe w/ active electronics. I sold my P bass of 20 years a while back.

I'm a guitarist, but play the bass from time to time

• Members

What about
?

That looks very nice, I'm not familiar with the voice of GK stuff. I hit their site and they have a a few more amps than what is on the MF site.

I have heard good stuff about em for the most part. I hope i can find one to hear it in a shop.

• Members

I have a UK made Ashdown ABM 500C 4x10 combo that sounds great. I bought it sight un-seen. un-heard off, about 7 years ago or so when all ashdown stuff was made in the UK.

In the next few months or so. I want something more portable than the Ashdown, as it weighs in at about 100-110lbs.

Now there's not a lot of good music shops here in my area and I'll probably need to do an online order.

I have before tired Eden stuff, which was very nice and un colored in tone.

Very different than the Ashdown, which reminded me of old Ampeg SVT stuff.

I am currently looking at an Eden Eden DC112XLT 1x12 and the Aguilar AG 500SC-112C 1x12, which are kind of reasonable to lift and move.

I'm not a huge fan of SWR stuff, as it's a bit thinner in tone than the Ashdown, I tried that to back 7 years ago.

I am in the processes of traveling to a local GC to test drive Markbass combos. I actually never heard of em, but I'll give em a try.

I want a combo, and not a head and cab, which obviously give me more versatility.

I have no idea what might be better for warm classic rock tones with a Jazz vibe.

The Eden and Aguilar both look fine, other recommendations would be appreciated. Any one play either Eden or Aguilar stuff and love it. Like I said the Ashdown I have is the bass, but it's a 2 man job to haul it.

I will be using either a Fender American Jazz Standard or a Fender American Jazz Deluxe w/ active electronics. I sold my P bass of 20 years a while back.

I'm a guitarist, but play the bass from time to time

Look into Genz Benz (Especially their just-announced Shuttle Line). I have a Neo-X 212 (they also make a 210 version) with neo speakers, so its not only 600 watts at 4 ohms, its also just 60 lbs. (the 210 is 50 lbs). It Isn't "small" but it seems like you are talking portability as in weight more so than size.

GB is a forum favorite, and the Neo-X 212 w/ Neopak 3.5 is a favorite portable combo around here.

• Members

I'm going to second the idea that you continue to look into G-K gear. I have the 400RB head and it weighs maybe 15 pounds or less. Sure its only 200ish watts into 4 ohms, but that would get you by in most applications. They are also commonly found for 200 dollars off of ebay and craigslist.

• Members

I have played through the Aggie stuff and really like it. If it were between the Aggie and the Eden, I'd need to check em' both out...but I've got a soft spot for Aguilar.

Markbass makes a nice amp, and the combos are really light. They are probably one of the most portable amps around right now. I'm just not a fan of their cabinets tone. Just for kicks, if you don't like their combo...plug into a LMII and another type of cab. It's still going to be super portable, especially if you get a small 1X12 cab...like the Aguilar GS112.

• Members

I think once you try one of these, your search will be finished. (The amp, not the lager)

2005_0211cupGordonds0021.jpg

That's the one the guy at the GC recommended me trying, he said it's an awesome bass, but had not heard of the company.

I think I well definitely test drive one along with the Eden Eden DC112XLT 1x12 and the Aguilar AG 500SC-112C 1x12.

I'll fill you guys in when I buy.

Like I said I'm not gonna get ride of my UK made Ashdown ABM 4x10 combo, but it's a best to move

Archived