Who do you support for president?

ec437

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup - I'm thinking McCain/Thompson...

- georgestrings

Not me. I think it will be Romney/Thompson. I think ALL of the candidates are really underestimating the immigration issue and how stronly many voters feel about it.

Romney Thompson and Paul are really the only candidates to not pander to the Latino community and stand firm on no amnesty.

• Members

Not me. I think it will be Romney/Thompson. I think ALL of the candidates are really underestimating the immigration issue and how stronly many voters feel about it.

Romney
Thompson and Paul are really the only candidates to not pander to the Latino community and stand firm on no amnesty.

This week!

:D

• Moderators

Romney Thompson and Paul are really the only candidates to not pander to the Latino community and stand firm on no amnesty.

I agree. Is there any reason to assume that the Republicans will lose the gains they made in the Latino voting previously unless the illegals are voting, too? Why would legal residents be against the tough stance and if they are, how do you think that can be overcome?

• Members

I really, really don't like McCain. He authored a large part of McCain/Feingold (obviously) campaign finance reform, he's opposed tax cuts in the past, and he was all gung-ho about the failed amnesty bill. Screw him.

• Members

I agree. Is there any reason to assume that the Republicans will lose the gains they made in the Latino voting previously unless the illegals are voting, too? Why would legal residents be against the tough stance and if they are, how do you think that can be overcome?

I believe a lot of illegals vote. Heck, there's probably a lot more voting fraud than we even realize. Here in MN, you can vote if you have another registered vote vouch for you. It's as simply as saying "Yep, Bob lives in this district." There are other places where the rules are even more lax. This is one of the reasons I support having a gov't issued ID to vote. It will help cut down on voter fraud, but of course nothing will eliminate it entirely.

• Members

I believe a lot of illegals vote. Heck, there's probably a lot more voting fraud than we even realize. Here in MN, you can vote if you have another registered vote vouch for you. It's as simply as saying "Yep, Bob lives in this district." There are other places where the rules are even more lax. This is one of the reasons I support having a gov't issued ID to vote. It will help cut down on voter fraud, but of course nothing will eliminate it entirely.

I agree that there's probably more voting fraud than we even realize, but I doubt it's due to illegals, and I think the voter id business is nothing but a return to Jim Crow laws, may as well bring back the poll tax while you're at it.

• Members

I personally feel that Fred Thompson would be best for the country - sadly, there isn't a chance of that happening...

especially now that he dropped out of the race. . .

To answer the original question. I support none of the current candidates. I will support whomever wins for the length of their term, barring major misdeeds.

• Members

I really, really don't like McCain. He authored a large part of McCain/Feingold (obviously) campaign finance reform, he's opposed tax cuts in the past, and he was all gung-ho about the failed amnesty bill. Screw him.

Read his WIKI page. You may disagree with him on every issue, but I predict you will respect him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain

• Members

Actually, from a lot of reading I have done on this - it appears to me that the legal latino community is actually split fairly evenly on the issue. Some find it offensive to be targeting mexicans (which is a good 80% of the issue) and others, who worked hard to gain legal status here feel that everyone should do so.

And, fact is, the GOP isn't very strong with latino voters anyway, so I don't think it will really be a problem. I don't think it NEEDS to be overcome.

• Members

I agree that there's probably more voting fraud than we even realize, but I doubt it's due to illegals, and I think the voter id business is nothing but a return to Jim Crow laws, may as well bring back the poll tax while you're at it.

How is a voter ID a return to Jim Crow laws? If you can make it to a polling place, you probably have the wherewithal to go get an ID. There's absolutely no valid comparison between requiring an ID for all voters and legislated racial segregation.

As far as voting fraud goes, Minneapolis has some nice stories. One campaign was getting homeless people to cast votes in a local election by giving them money to buy a bottle of breakfast. Go vote, get money to buy booze - easy. No lie.

• Members

I take issue with him on all of those as well...

- georgestrings

• Moderators
And, fact is, the GOP isn't very strong with latino voters anyway, so I don't think it will really be a problem. I don't think it NEEDS to be overcome.

It would be nice to make headway with the different minority groups, though. At some point a sizeable percentage of these groups have to see what a bunch of little splinters the Democrat party essentially comprises and that the message isn't all that inclusive.

Archived