Why does my bass need setup so damn often?!

Noise...

• Members

I swear - it seems like my bass needs setup constantly. It's a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. There's always buzzing all around the neck and dead spots higher on the neck that come and go.

I've set it up, gotten it perfect, and then within a week or two it's buzzing again.

It's gotten to the point that I can't really even get it "perfect" anymore. I have to either settle for high action, or buzzing somewhere on the neck.

What could be causing this? Could it just be because it's a cheaper bass? When it's setup how I like it, it seems great. However, as time goes on, I'm having more and more issues with it.

Is there something I can do to fix the problem? I'd appreciate any help!

• Members

Does it stay in an area with a constant humidity? Does it get moved from hot areas...then cold...then back again?

Not really. It stays in my music room except for when I go to my bass lesson every other week. Then, it just gets put in its case and put right into the car.

I usually keep the heat on in the music room as well, so the temperature is fairly consistent.

• Members

Describe briefly how you are doing your setup, maybe you're doing something wrong?

I follow Kindness' old guide to the T. I check the neck, making sure there is just a slight amount of relief, get the string height where I want it, and set the intonation.

• Members

I follow Kindness' old guide to the T. I check the neck, making sure there is just a slight amount of relief, get the string height where I want it, and set the intonation.

How many turns are you giving the truss rod, and does it seem to be overly tight, loose or rattling around inside the neck?

All in all it does sound like you've got the same problem my friend had...

I'm sorry, but I don't have a link to that guide so I can't see how explicit it is - though I'm sure it's accurate if it came from Kindness.

Are you tightening the neck, only to have it keep bowing on you (up-bow)?

IF so, you might wanna try lighter gauge strings. I'm not sure what Fender recommends for that bass or what you are currently using...

• Members

How many turns are you giving the truss rod, and does it seem to be overly tight, loose or rattling around inside the neck?

All in all it does sound like you've got the same problem my friend had...

I'm sorry, but I don't have a link to that guide so I can't see how explicit it is - though I'm sure it's accurate if it came from Kindness.

Are you tightening the neck, only to have it keep bowing on you (up-bow)?

IF so, you might wanna try lighter gauge strings. I'm not sure what Fender recommends for that bass or what you are currently using...

The truss rod seems fine - not too tight, but not loose. I usually don't have to turn it much at all - maybe 1/8 of a turn?

Now that you mention it, I do seem to be tightening it, and I am using fairly heavy flatwound strings.

I still have the stock light gauge round-wounds that came on it. Should I take the flatwounds off and put the light gauge round-wounds back on it and see if it fixes the issue?

Even more-so, will I be able to put the flatwounds back on if I take them off? They're practically brand new, and at $30 a pack, it would be a waste to just take them off on a hunch...

• Members

A buddy of mine had a similar problem with a bass, and the luthier that fixed it told him that necks sometimes are made with "green" wood. (that's how he put it....)

The luthier put it in some kind of press and he's had no problems with it since.

This is probably the culprit. They don't give the wood time to stabilize.

Dan

• Members

This is probably the culprit. They don't give the wood time to stabilize.

Dan

How can I stabilize it myself? I don't have a local luthier that I can go to.

Also, would that have actually taken some time to start to happen? When I first got the bass this summer it stayed setup just fine. :idk:

• Members

Also, would that have actually taken some time to start to happen? When I first got the bass this summer it stayed setup just fine.
:idk:

Stabilizing is basically letting the wood sit and age in a tempurature and humidity controlled environment. I would actually take it a tech and see what he or she thinks. I don't know enough to advise you. Maybe Kindness?

Dan

• Members

Also, would that have actually taken some time to start to happen? When I first got the bass this summer it stayed setup just fine.
:idk:

time is the only process that will stabelize the wood

heat expands wood and cold shrinks it so if you live in a screwed up climate this will wreak havoc on a neck unfortunately.

• Moderators

The truss rod seems fine - not too tight, but not loose. I usually don't have to turn it much at all - maybe 1/8 of a turn?

Now that you mention it, I do seem to be tightening it, and I am using fairly heavy flatwound strings.

I still have the stock light gauge round-wounds that came on it. Should I take the flatwounds off and put the light gauge round-wounds back on it and see if it fixes the issue?

Even more-so, will I be able to put the flatwounds back on if I take them off? They're practically brand new, and at $30 a pack, it would be a waste to just take them off on a hunch...

My guess is the flatwounds you are using are too high of tension for that truss rod. Sometimes necks are more stable than others, that's the thing with using natural wood. If you are keeping your instrument in a stable temperature and humidity, there is no reason it should need to be setup very regularly at all.

I think you should try it with the roundwounds for a few weeks and see if it is stable under that tension. If so, and you want flats, look for a lower tension set of flats.

You can definitely take the flats off and use them again later on another bass if this one just doesn't like them.

FYI - I have another forum member's SVM fretless jazz at the moment and it has held its setup perfectly the weeks I've had it. Now if I could just find a f'ing box to ship it out of here... :mad:

• Members

Maybe the place you got it will replace it with another?

It's been months since I bought it, and I ordered it in from a shop about 6 hours away.

I like the bass quite a bit, but it's to the point that I don't want to play it because it just doesn't play well anymore, and I just can't seem to keep it playing well.

I'm almost thinking of just selling it and getting a Fender Standard Jazz to replace it...

Obviously though, if it's possible for me to fix it, I'd want to do whatever I can.

• Members

My guess is the flatwounds you are using are too high of tension for that truss rod. Sometimes necks are more stable than others, that's the thing with using natural wood. If you are keeping your instrument in a stable temperature and humidity, there is no reason it should need to be setup very regularly at all.

I think you should try it with the roundwounds for a few weeks and see if it is stable under that tension. If so, and you want flats, look for a lower tension set of flats.

You can definitely take the flats off and use them again later on another bass if this one just doesn't like them.

FYI - I have another forum member's SVM fretless jazz at the moment and it has held its setup perfectly the weeks I've had it. Now if I could just find a f'ing box to ship it out of here...
:mad:

Thanks a lot for the reply Kindness. :thu:

I'll put the light gauge roundwounds on it right now and let it settle overnight. If it fixes the issue, I'll wear the roundwounds out, and either look for a lower tension set of flatwounds, or switch back to light guage roundwounds.

I'll post an update on it tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone. :wave:

• Members

It may just be the wood. I've had two different maple neck MIM strats hanging on the wall (interior wall) at work. The climate is very stable. Every time I grabbed either one off of the wall, the pitch was off. I've seen guitars shipped across the country that did not go off as much as these did just hanging there. Sell it and get an 80's MIJ bass.

• Members

FYI - I have another forum member's SVM fretless jazz at the moment and it has held its setup perfectly the weeks I've had it. Now if I could just find a f'ing box to ship it out of here...
:mad:

But aren't fretless basses more immune (not totally immune of course) to set-up problems. I mean, there's not going to be fret-buzz to speak of and wouldn't buzzing problem on a fretless be more due to a very low action?

Not saying that a fretless wouldn't buzz, but wouldn't it be an extreme case of the neck bowing to cause it...much more than say a fretted bass?

Just curious....and standing by with a pair of pliers and wood putty for my SR.

• Members

I swear - it seems like my bass needs setup constantly. It's a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. There's always buzzing all around the neck and dead spots higher on the neck that come and go.

I've set it up, gotten it perfect, and then within a week or two it's buzzing again.

It's gotten to the point that I can't really even get it "perfect" anymore. I have to either settle for high action, or buzzing somewhere on the neck.

What could be causing this? Could it just be because it's a cheaper bass? When it's setup how I like it, it seems great. However, as time goes on, I'm having more and more issues with it.

Is there something I can do to fix the problem? I'd appreciate any help!

thats a shame...

I think you got the VM the same time I got the SX 75 J. other than adjusting the Truss rod to my liking I havent done a damn thing to it....

• Moderators

But aren't fretless basses more immune (not totally immune of course) to set-up problems. I mean, there's not going to be fret-buzz to speak of and wouldn't buzzing problem on a fretless be more due to a very low action?

Not saying that a fretless wouldn't buzz, but wouldn't it be an extreme case of the neck bowing to cause it...much more than say a fretted bass?

Just curious....and standing by with a pair of pliers and wood putty for my SR.

What Anti is experiencing is neck stability problems, possibly from an under-performing truss rod. It would cause the same issues with a fretless bass in that the relief wouldn't remain stable. As such, there would be more buzzing (some might say mwah) in the lower positions than in the upper positions. It might be less disconcerting or immediately noticeable to some players, but it would be the same issue. The only real difference between setups in fretless and fretted basses is the issue of fret heights. However, the corresponding issue on a fretless bass is the level plane of the fingerboard. Just as you can get uneven wear of frets that lead to leveling issues, you can get uneven wear of the fingerboard that causes the same problems. As a result, I believe the simple answer to your question is "no."

But feel free to post pictures of your butchered SR? That might be funny. :eek:

• Moderators

I think you answered your own question.

Ouch! I've sincerely seen a lot of really well made Squiers. Variability is obviously higher than with some of the more closely QCed instruments, but the good ones are as nice as any other mass produced bass I've seen. Captain Fathead's VM is truly a top shelf instrument.

• Members

Ouch! I've sincerely seen a lot of really well made Squiers. Variability is obviously higher than with some of the more closely QCed instruments, but the good ones are as nice as any other mass produced bass I've seen. Captain Fathead's VM is truly a top shelf instrument.

A Squire is what it is...an entry level instrument. The price point means they aren't exactly manufactured with the finest materials, craftsmanship and exacting quality control.

And sometimes {censored} just happens. I had a guitarist friend who bought a beautiful '56 Stratocaster and he paid a pretty price for it too, but that bastard wouldn't stay in tune to save it's ass. He took it to every luthier in town and they tried this and that and some other things and that damned guitar had all of them scratching their heads.

Archived