Why does my bass need setup so damn often?!

Noise...

• Moderators

A Squire is what it is...an entry level instrument. The price point means they aren't exactly manufactured with the finest materials, craftsmanship and exacting quality control.

I agree entirely and I know (at least I think) your original post was a joke, but the reality is his bass doesn't need to be setup more often because it is a Squier, it needs to be setup more often because (if my diagnosis is correct) he is using higher tension strings than the neck can tolerate. The distinction is important because the answer to one problem is buy a new bass. The answer to the other is buy a new set of strings.

• Members
FYI - I have another forum member's SVM fretless jazz at the moment and it has held its setup perfectly the weeks I've had it. Now if I could just find a f'ing box to ship it out of here...
:mad:

:wave:

I'm in the process of trading my Trace Elliot head for a bass. If worse comes to worse, I can always send you the box I get the traded bass in.

• Moderators
:wave:

I'm in the process of trading my Trace Elliot head for a bass. If worse comes to worse, I can always send you the box I get the traded bass in.

I'll hit a couple of stores this weekend looking for boxes. I need 3. Your bass is top priority though. Also, I can have a box made at one of the shipping stores, but IME it usually is like $60 and that is just BS to me.

• Members

Well, last night I put the light gauge roundwounds back on it and gave it a full setup. Neck adjustment, string height, intonation, everything.

The buzzing is gone aside from two frets that used to completely fret out (15th fret on the A string and 15th fret on the D string). I know that's a fret level issue though, so I wasn't expecting it to just disappear.

However, the rest of the frets all play nice and clean. I also have the action set really low, which makes it play even better now that there's no buzzing.

Time will tell if it fixes the setup issues. If not, I'll sell it and go for a nicer Jazz Bass. :idk:

Thanks for the advice everyone. :thu:

Archived