WOT: How difficult is it to move from the US to the UK?

lokidecat

• Members

I'm curious (not for political reasons) what sort of hoops / requirements there are for moving to the UK.

I hear they have a pretty strict immigration policy and if you aren't young (some {censored} about 15 points if you're under 27 etc..)

and you don't have a MBA already, it's nigh impossible to gain entry to the country.

Anyone have experience in this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ask Boalg, although he's a bit busy at the moment I think.
:lol:;)

Are you moving to the UK for work reasons? or just for a change of scenery.
:)

Mainly to expand my horizons. But they only give you six months for visitation. Is there a cool off period between visits.

The question is mainly just exploratory as I've got this growing feeling of "doing something" exciting and educational before I die.

• Members

Mainly to expand my horizons. But they only give you six months for visitation. Is there a cool off period between visits.

The question is mainly just exploratory as I've got this growing feeling of "doing something" exciting and educational before I die.

Ever thought of hitting France? Based on my visits to England, (and they've only been visits, no long term stays), I think that I'd much rather go to a country where I had to learn a different language and was exposed to a culture that was a bit further removed from the US. I had a chance at moving to a suburb of London a while back and Boalg actually talked me out of it. If the same chance came up for France or another country in the EU though, I'd have a real hard time turning it down. Just some thoughts

• Members

Ever thought of hitting France? Based on my visits to England, (and they've only been visits, no long term stays), I think that I'd much rather go to a country where I had to learn a different language and was exposed to a culture that was a bit further removed from the US. I had a chance at moving to a suburb of London a while back and Boalg actually talked me out of it. If the same chance came up for France or another country in the EU though, I'd have a real hard time turning it down. Just some thoughts

I agree, if its not for a specific job thats only based in England then you should look at other countries in the EU. I would recommend Ireland but I think that would be a bad recommendation. :freak:

Maybe somewhere like France or Germany, a different language, different cultures and different way of thinking to the US. Stuff is usually cheaper in central Europe than Ireland or the UK also. :)

• Members

He talked you out of it? Interesting.

A girl i work with has been talking nonstop about going back (she's just here going to school to become a translator for international business.)

She's from Bordeaux. She's sorta cute, too.

Why don't you mention that you're thinking about migrating and considering France, it might be worth a try. ;)

It'll give you something in common to talk about, plus she might convince you to move there or disuade you from moving there. :lol:

• Members

Why don't you mention that you're thinking about migrating and considering France, it might be worth a try.
;)
It'll give you something in common to talk about, plus she might convince you to move there or disuade you from moving there.
:lol:

Alas she's married. She talks about going back all the time, so it can't be ALL bad.

I dunno. I feel so uncultured living where I do. I just know there's more to experience.

• Members

He talked you out of it? Interesting.

A girl i work with has been talking nonstop about going back (she's just here going to school to become a translator for international business.)

She's from Bordeaux. She's sorta cute, too.

Decision made. :thu:

Ya, he pretty much talked me out of it. He went from the SF Bay Area (my stomping grounds), to the UK and, just the tone of his voice when he was describing things over there and the transition made me think twice about the move. He also said that the music scene over there wasn't all that great and, at that time, he still hadn't found a band. Guess that's changed now though. Also understand that we had just turned down 6 months in China and there was a strong possibility that we were going to get a shot at another country pretty quickly, didn't happen though so we're still in the US.

PM Boalg, he can represent it much more accurately than I ever could. While you're at it, PM Jazzy too. Don't fail also to consider Spain, I'd love to hit Barcelona for a bit.

• Members

Alas she's married. She talks about going back all the time, so it can't be ALL bad.

I dunno. I feel so uncultured living where I do. I just know there's more to experience.

Awh, too bad. Still you should try to speak to as many people as possible who live in Europe to try find more info. :)

• Members

I'm curious (not for political reasons) what sort of hoops / requirements there are for moving to the UK.

I hear they have a pretty strict immigration policy and if you aren't young

If you travel to Romania, get a false passport, smuggle yourself over from France in the back of a lorry, claim you're Kurdish and you'll be killed if you return home you'll automatically be allowed to stop here as long as you want, along with anyone you claim to be part of your family.

You'll also find yourself exempt from having to insure or tax your car.

• Members

I hear they have a pretty strict immigration policy and if you aren't young (some {censored} about 15 points if you're under 27 etc..)

and you don't have a MBA already, it's nigh impossible to gain entry to the country.

Anyone have experience in this?

It's very simple, just say you are an asylum seeker then you're get all benefits paid for you, including housing and healthcare!!! Easy!

• Members

It's very simple, just say you are an asylum seeker then you're get all benefits paid for you, including housing and healthcare!!! Easy!

Honestly it doesn't work quite like that. At least here it doesn't and I believe other EU countries are similar. Fancy living on about

• Members

Decision made.
:thu:

Ya, he pretty much talked me out of it. He went from the SF Bay Area (my stomping grounds), to the UK and, just the tone of his voice when he was describing things over there and the transition made me think twice about the move. He also said that the music scene over there wasn't all that great and, at that time, he still hadn't found a band. Guess that's changed now though. Also understand that we had just turned down 6 months in China and there was a strong possibility that we were going to get a shot at another country pretty quickly, didn't happen though so we're still in the US.

PM Boalg, he can represent it much more accurately than I ever could. While you're at it, PM Jazzy too. Don't fail also to consider Spain, I'd love to hit Barcelona for a bit.

I know a guy who's moving from SF to the UK in May. Wonder if his experience will be the same as BOALGs. Uncanny. =P

• Members

If you travel to Romania, get a false passport, smuggle yourself over from France in the back of a lorry, claim you're Kurdish and you'll be killed if you return home you'll automatically be allowed to stop here as long as you want, along with anyone you claim to be part of your family.

You'll also find yourself exempt from having to insure or tax your car.

Now that's the best idea I've heard all morning. :eek:

:cop::mad::freak:

• Members

Do they grant asylum from children? Because if I factor how much money those rotten little buggers cost, 15 pounds is lookin' purdy sweet!

:lol:

Lug, I don't think they'd even allow you into Ireland. I mean we already have Enya, that's more than enough bad music!! :eek::lol:

Archived