WOT: How difficult is it to move from the US to the UK?

lokidecat

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

PM Boalg, he can represent it much more accurately than I ever could.

BOALG is also living in London, which is definitely a love it or hate it place.

The rest of England can be dramatically different than London. Personally, I love England, and could easily live there again, but London is at best a place I'd occasionally visit.

• Members

Just because you don't appreciate your own culture doesn't mean you have none.

Problem with the US is one of it's strengths. We have no one culture. We're a cultural milkshake with hundreds if not thousands of influences. We have an agreed-upon national language, but not official one.

Don't get me wrong. I love the US in a lot of ways. I'm just one of those who get bored with the same thing day-in day-out. I crave change.

• Members

Yep, found out later that the place that in which we'd actually be living is a suburb of London. Swung by over the summer and it seemed like a really cool place. Still kinda glad that we didn't do it though. If a chance at something like France or Spain comes up, I'd hate to be committed to England.

• Members

Problem with the US is one of it's strengths. We have no one culture. We're a cultural milkshake with hundreds if not thousands of influences.

That is our culture. I think that what you're referring to is actually history, not culture. North America, as populated to day, hasn't been around for all that long compared to the the UK, Europe, Asia, etc... Remember that the Gold Rush went a long way to populating NorCal and that the rise of the movie industry did a good job of populating SoCal, both of which are pretty recent events. Compare that with 11th C. buildings that you can walk through in Eze in the French Riviera, or being able to check out a huge painting of Napoleon crowing himself King in the morning, and then, in the afternoon, go to the building where that happened only to see that the building looks pretty much the same as it did in the painting. Pretty cool stuff.

• Members

That is our culture. I think that what you're referring to is actually history, not culture. North America, as populated to day, hasn't been around for all that long compared to the the UK, Europe, Asia, etc... Remember that the Gold Rush went a long way to populating NorCal and that the rise of the movie industry did a good job of populating SoCal, both of which are pretty recent events. Compare that with 11th C. buildings that you can walk through in Eze in the French Riviera, or being able to check out a huge painting of Napoleon crowing himself King in the morning, and then, in the afternoon, go to the building where that happened only to see that the building looks pretty much the same as it did in the painting. Pretty cool stuff.

No I get it. I understand the difference. But also, hmm how do I illustrate this...

In some countries, there are greeting differences, and very different ways of dining, and how seniors are treated. Lots of little things add up to equte to a culture, or set of traditions, that define a region.

I've been all over the US (47 of the 50 states, and not just drive-throughs). I'm an adventurer at heart and like learning new things.

But you are right, I do love history as well. I know for a fact that I'd probably need an entire week or two to see Musee D'Orsay in France.

• Members

No I get it. I understand the difference. But also, hmm how do I illustrate this...

In some countries, there are greeting differences, and very different ways of dining, and how seniors are treated. Lots of little things add up to equte to a culture, or set of traditions, that define a region.

I've been all over the US (47 of the 50 states, and not just drive-throughs). I'm an adventurer at heart and like learning new things.

But you are right, I do love history as well. I know for a fact that I'd probably need an entire week or two to see Musee D'Orsay in France.

My point is that history defines culture. Our culture hasn't been together all that long, we don't have deeply established traditions or a sense of, for lack of a better word, ownership of the country. We're not as deeply rooted as a country and that plays a huge role in how we conduct ourselves as a society. If you can swing it though, definitely hang somewhere else for a while. It almost doesn't matter where, just somewhere that's not the US.

• Members

My point is that history defines culture. Our culture hasn't been together all that long, we don't have deeply established traditions or a sense of, for lack of a better word, ownership of the country. We're not as deeply rooted as a country and that plays a huge role in how we conduct ourselves as a society. If you can swing it though, definitely hang somewhere else for a while. It almost doesn't matter where, just somewhere that's not the US.

Good info, but still info I know already. In the grand scheme of things a 200 year old country isn't even as old as some of the youngest dynasties in China.

I got that. :freak:

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated. My big concern right now is to immerse myself in something 'not this.' maybe I should just impregnate my gf if I desire change so much.

I JOKE! I JOKE!

• Members
Good info, but still info I know already. In the grand scheme of things a 200 year old country isn't even as old as some of the youngest dynasties in China.

I got that.
:freak:

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated. My big concern right now is to immerse myself in something 'not this.' maybe I should just impregnate my gf if I desire change so much.

Wait, no, let me try to explain it again... :p

• Members

If you travel to Romania, get a false passport, smuggle yourself over from France in the back of a lorry, claim you're Kurdish and you'll be killed if you return home you'll automatically be allowed to stop here as long as you want, along with anyone you claim to be part of your family.

You'll also find yourself exempt from having to insure or tax your car.

in other words, "very easy"

• Members

Only real problem (and it's real) being that I don't speak any French. Cultural immersion would lend to learning it, but I'd have to snag
or something and get a crash course in it.

That's actually part of the experience, it'll give you a pretty good idea of how it is for others who come over to the US. Different language + different culture = dramatically changed world view. Talked to a buddy of mine for about an hour this morning, he just got back from Laos on Monday. Talk about culture shock!

• Members

I lived in the UK for a year just after marrying my English wife. It's been about six years and I can't remember what I had to do exactly, but it was pretty easy. I think I had to send a copy of the marriage license to the UK Embassy in LA and they sent me visa...I liked England for the most part, except the cold and rainy bits. It's very expensive and the wages aren't that great. The food was OK, but I missed BBQ, Mexican food and Cajun food. I loved the history and the architecture. We visited a lot of castles. Taking the train to London was always fun. Wales is a beautiful place to visit too. Bought myself a Status bass as my sovenier. Drove out to the factory in Essex.

Go for it if you've got the inclanation...My motto: You'll never know what might have happened unless you do it.

...when I was 21 I sold most of my belongings, bought a cheap van and ended up in California with only $500 in my pocket. I lived there for five years before spending a year in Hawaii. I eventually ended up back in Texas, but at least I can say I did it.

• Members

The rest of England can be
dramatically
different than London. Personally, I
love
England, and could easily live there again, but London is at best a place I'd occasionally visit.

If you go to London, I can guarantee you will either be mugged or not appreciated

• Members
Only real problem (and it's real) being that I don't speak any French. Cultural immersion would lend to learning it, but I'd have to snag
Rosetta Stone
or something and get a crash course in it.

I think you only have to speak english with a really fake french accent and wear a beret and a little penciled-in mustache.

The French will really respect you for that. Give it a go...:thu:

Archived