Bass Buying Disease?

Giddry

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. Totally.

At some point it would be nice to be making high quality instruments that people truly enjoy with some personal design from me. I'm not in a position today to make that happen. Not exactly as I'd like. Soon though.

For now, I'd love to be able to put out a few basses a year using high quality parts from Warmoth, USACG, etc. and I'd do it for minimal/no profit.

I'll do some finishing if you like!

• Moderators

There is one local guy (non pro) and one major repair shop (3rd Coast) whose finish work I respect. I'd love to learn sometime, but neither of those are good resources for me. I may need to hit you up for an education.

What kind of experience do you have? What techniques/materials do you use?

• Members

Sorry I haven't been around to answer the questions!

I don't currently have any better pictures. It's a vintage '64 that was (hold onto your hats...) A GIFT. A friend of mine (and fellow bass player) gave it to me as a birthday gift. (I don't think he knew it was vintage...so SHHH!)

I have no idea who owned it before I got it but they took AMAZING care of it. It's got a couple of scratches but you really can't see them unless I say "hey, look at this scratch!" The only thing that really bummed me out about it was that I had to replace some hardware because I got it with only 2 tuners and the two that were on it didn't work. :( Other than that it's in impecible vintage condition.

Regardless...I still have GAS...for a Rumblefish of all things.

• Members

There is one local guy (non pro) and one major repair shop (3rd Coast) whose finish work I respect. I'd love to learn sometime, but neither of those are good resources for me. I may need to hit you up for an education.

What kind of experience do you have? What techniques/materials do you use?

I've done 3 basses. One for a local music shop, stripped the poly and refinned in sunburst using nitro. I also finished my '64 P in Fiesta Red.

I use an HVLP gun and only spray Nitro. It's an easier, thinner, and more forgiving finish. It is more fragile though.

Here's a link to some pics of the '64 P.

http://www.pbase.com/eehorse/bass_guitar_refinish

• Members

"It's a vintage '64 that was (hold onto your hats...) A GIFT. A friend of mine (and fellow bass player) gave it to me as a birthday gift. (I don't think he knew it was vintage...so SHHH!)

I have no idea who owned it before I got it but they took AMAZING care of it. It's got a couple of scratches but you really can't see them unless I say "hey, look at this scratch!" The only thing that really bummed me out about it was that I had to replace some hardware because I got it with only 2 tuners and the two that were on it didn't work. Other than that it's in impecible vintage condition."

Oh my! That's a wonderful story. I have a '62 Jazz that doesn't go to many gigs anymore. I end up worrying about it all night. Have you had it apart to check how much, other than the tuners, may have been changed? Seen the neck date, serial#, pot dates and such? Just curious! Enjoying playing it, of course, is most important.

• Members

I don't currently have any better pictures. It's a vintage '64 that was (hold onto your hats...) A GIFT. A friend of mine (and fellow bass player) gave it to me as a birthday gift. (I don't think he knew it was vintage...so SHHH!)

I have no idea who owned it before I got it but they took AMAZING care of it. It's got a couple of scratches but you really can't see them unless I say "hey, look at this scratch!" The only thing that really bummed me out about it was that I had to replace some hardware because I got it with only 2 tuners and the two that were on it didn't work.
:(
Other than that it's in impecible vintage condition.

OMG!:eek:

I would be too nervous to take that to a gig!

You should see what those are selling for on ebay.....

Oh wait.... NOBODY ever sells one that nice!

• Moderators

I've done 3 basses. One for a local music shop, stripped the poly and refinned in sunburst using nitro. I also finished my '64 P in Fiesta Red.

I use an HVLP gun and only spray Nitro. It's an easier, thinner, and more forgiving finish. It is more fragile though.

Here's a link to some pics of the '64 P.

http://www.pbase.com/eehorse/bass_guitar_refinish

That Fiesta Red looks fantastic. Nitro is my favorite finish. Like you say, it is easy to use and definitely easy to repair. I don't trust my working environment here to try a full body, but I've done quite a few drop fills.

• Members

GAS is contagious. That's why I lurk on these boards - I'm trying to get good gear or technique tips for my son.

I've bought my son a MIM Fender P bass with EMG pickups, Yamaha ultra lite fretless and an Epihpone Les Paul Special, all in the last year. Nothing great, but then again, he's only 9 (he started on bass in kindergarten). He'll get the good stuff when he starts to figure out what he really wants. I tried to talk him into a gorgeous 5 string G&L, but he said no. He said he has enough for now. !!!

He loves all those Steve Vai effects, so I said, "If I get you some effects, will you experiment with them? That's so cool!" 350 bucks later, I have yet to see the multi-effects pedal I bought him out of the box...but he does like that Synth Wah pedal.

I have to stop buying him all that stuff. You know how if your parents think something is cool, then it's not cool anymore? I don't want to turn him off music. I do love buying those basses, though...I don't have a musical note in my body, so that's how I try to help him out with his passion.

• Members

GAS is contagious. That's why I lurk on these boards - I'm trying to get good gear or technique tips for my son.

I've bought my son a MIM Fender P bass with EMG pickups, Yamaha ultra lite fretless and an Epihpone Les Paul Special, all in the last year. Nothing great, but then again, he's only 9 (he started on bass in kindergarten). He'll get the good stuff when he starts to figure out what he really wants. I tried to talk him into a gorgeous 5 string G&L, but he said no. He said he has enough for now. !!!

He loves all those Steve Vai effects, so I said, "If I get you some effects, will you experiment with them? That's so cool!" 350 bucks later, I have yet to see the multi-effects pedal I bought him out of the box...but he does like that Synth Wah pedal.

I have to stop buying him all that stuff. You know how if your parents think something is cool, then it's not cool anymore? I don't want to turn him off music. I do love buying those basses, though...I don't have a musical note in my body, so that's how I try to help him out with his passion.

Something wrong with your kid, he needs help!! Who would turn down an offer of a G&L!??! :eek::lol:

• Members

He also said he didn't want a G&L because it had active pickups. He's really afraid the battery would die on stage. (He does play on stage.) I did try to explain that wouldn't happen, but he won't listen.

Oldtimer, thanks for the support comment! Sometimes I think we go too far with him, but we're so proud! My husband is a guitar player who learned bass so they could practice together. BTW, my husband now likes bass better!

I just don't want to burn him out on it.

• Members

As far as I know G&L's have a battery indicator light on them. Anyways, you can normally notice the signal dropping gradually in active basses, or it starts sounding bad. :)

It's great that he's on stage that young! I haven't even been on stage yet and I'm over twice his age. :lol:

• Members

Heya Chicka... I think the GAS Disease goes with any passion... still working on my first bass... but I have it with some of my sports stuff. Yep... you get one "whatever" then ya gotta have more if it's something you truly love... can't get enough of a "good thing";).

• Members

I have no idea who owned it before I got it but they took AMAZING care of it. It's got a couple of scratches but you really can't see them unless I say "hey, look at this scratch!" The only thing that really bummed me out about it was that I had to replace some hardware because I got it with only 2 tuners and the two that were on it didn't work.
:(
Other than that it's in impecible vintage condition.

Cool story :thu: Hey, put it this way, at least you GAS for nice stuff. I wish Reverend still made basses, they wouldn't be so expensive then.

• Members

Kindnesss...me and you need to talk...PJ...passive...Jazz neck...P body.....and some kind of unique finish. Of course I don't have cash but I'd love to commission you on something. I'm at the point (finally) where I am comfortable enough to have a custom bass built for me based on my preferences.

Dan

Archived